TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I can never get past his 20 mins music intro he has before his show.

It's not just the 20 minutes and it definitely is a long intro usually -- it's also the peddling of either obscure acts that are eminently forgettable after they've been played or Bob Friggin' Dylan. Melnick does promote certain acts via his company, BillyBob Productions, which makes me wonder how many of these no-name bands he plays are just getting airtime as clients of his outfit.

Reactions: 417

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
More proof that Brendan Kelly reads and maybe is a member of HFboards. He even mentions the unmentionables here.

What the Puck: Canadiens reaching playoffs might not be a good omen

I'm of the same mindset as Brendan Kelly on this one. I don't want the Habs to turn into what the Leafs were for far too many years of just hoping to make the playoffs. The Leafs finally figured it out and brought in a competent management team and finally did the right thing of tearing it all down and rebuilding it back up. This part from the article is what scares me and one could even argue that the Habs are already there right now.

The other possibility is that they’ll narrowly miss the playoffs, which has happened so many times since their last Stanley Cup win in 1993. Remember all those seasons that came down to the last game — almost inevitably a Montreal-Toronto matchup — to decide the Habs’ fate? That’s what I like to call the cycle of mediocrity. Never really contending, never really tanking, rarely getting high draft picks.

I really don't want the Habs to be in this cycle of mediocrity year after year going forward.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm of the same mindset as Brendan Kelly on this one. I don't want the Habs to turn into what the Leafs were for far too many years of just hoping to make the playoffs. The Leafs finally figured it out and brought in a competent management team and finally did the right thing of tearing it all down and rebuilding it back up. This part from the article is what scares me and one could even argue that the Habs are already there right now.

I really don't want the Habs to be in this cycle of mediocrity year after year going forward.

Its certainly a concern I share, but I wouldn't compare it to the leafs. They continued to be bad despite missing the playoffs repeatedly for over a decade.

It wasn't a team struggling with mediocrity..... They couldn't even get there.

Reactions: sheed36

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Does anyone else ever feel like changing the station as soon as Tony comes on the air? I just listened to him block 2 different texters from texting the 690 line, because they texted in their opinion.

Now correct me if I’m wrong but that doesn’t seem like the proper way to gain listeners. If he reads a text that he disagrees with why doesn’t he just ignore it? Or if it’s just someone trolling, by all means block their number, but if it’s someone voicing their opinion and you don’t agree with it... what’s the point of calling them out on air and saying that you “have the power to block these people”

I’m honestly at a point where I just want to change the channel when Tony starts talking. Which is too bad because I enjoy listening to mostly everyone else with the exception of Nuckles when he forgets what he’s talking about.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Sorry for the double post, but Tony just blocked another 2 people for their appropriately worded opinions.

Thinking about texting in and saying something funny, any suggestions?

Reactions: Runner77

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Does anyone else ever feel like changing the station as soon as Tony comes on the air? I just listened to him block 2 different texters from texting the 690 line, because they texted in their opinion.

Now correct me if I’m wrong but that doesn’t seem like the proper way to gain listeners. If he reads a text that he disagrees with why doesn’t he just ignore it? Or if it’s just someone trolling, by all means block their number, but if it’s someone voicing their opinion and you don’t agree with it... what’s the point of calling them out on air and saying that you “have the power to block these people”

I’m honestly at a point where I just want to change the channel when Tony starts talking. Which is too bad because I enjoy listening to mostly everyone else with the exception of Nuckles when he forgets what he’s talking about.

Tony is in full d-bag mode this morning. Trying to control what others can and cannot say and not allowing someone to voice their opinion is very bad for business and likely drives people away. It's almost like I've seen this not being able to voice one's opinion happen somewhere else very recently. :sarcasm:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Tony is in full d-bag mode this morning. Trying to control what others can and cannot say and not allowing someone to voice their opinion is very bad for business and likely drives people away. It's almost like I've seen this not being able to voice one's opinion happen somewhere else very recently. :sarcasm:

Yeah Tony is really difficult to listen to

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
I guess Tony isn’t too happy with HFboards? Lol

Attachments

• B9FC768B-5E91-4307-BA4D-8533138AE862.png
    B9FC768B-5E91-4307-BA4D-8533138AE862.png
    353.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 5276313F-3ACA-4C06-82AE-897C9894EE36.png
    5276313F-3ACA-4C06-82AE-897C9894EE36.png
    297.9 KB · Views: 52

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Does anyone know if Tony has ever mentioned HFboards? The text he sent me seems to point to him not being too fond of us lol.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Does anyone else ever feel like changing the station as soon as Tony comes on the air?

He is the reason why I just stopped listening to 690. He is not a hockey analyst, let alone a sports analyst. He just spouts nonsense and has these lame radio attention vying tactics.

I’ve said it before, but all the Sportsnet 590 and TSN 1050 guys are Leafs homers, but at least they provide some insight and actual analysis to the table.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
The one thing I csn always count on is going to tsn.ca/radio/Montreal-690 and seeing:

Flynn: (insert bad take here)

Tony has a really weak set of regular guests in general. Just one more reason I've stopped listening to his show. The strong lineup of guests is why I continue to listen to the Morning Show and, of course, Melnick. Nilan can get some great guests due to his connections (like former teammates), but they tend to be occasional. I like Kerry Fraser and Dennis Bernstein (when he is on, usually when Tsalikis is guesting).

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He is the reason why I just stopped listening to 690. He is not a hockey analyst, let alone a sports analyst. He just spouts nonsense and has these lame radio attention vying tactics.

I’ve said it before, but all the Sportsnet 590 and TSN 1050 guys are Leafs homers, but at least they provide some insight and actual analysis to the table.

Yeah I quite like what the leafs have going. Andi Petrillo is animated.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Well he's about as obnoxiously full of himself as any hf poster so I wouldn't be surprised. Same with Berkshire.
Come on.

Anyone who has an opinion about the Habs or argues their opinion can come across as """obnoxious""" if you want to be stinky about it.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Does anyone know if Tony has ever mentioned HFboards? The text he sent me seems to point to him not being too fond of us lol.

Tony signed up and dropped by HF Habs (last year I believe it was) for a very brief period. Some guys here didn't show him any mercy so he took his ball and went home. I guess he blocked HF like he does with texters and people on twitter who disagrees with him and calls him out. Tony as admitted on air he has very thin skin and doesn't take criticism very well which is why he blocks so many people.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad