TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Caught the tail end of an interview a few minutes ago, where Marinaro begged a media colleague “if you go on the Dan Patrick show later today, can you mention my name? I can use the followers.”

Same method he uses to get free food.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I like sports talk and getting it from the radio is the easiest source. I offer criticism just to see if others experience it in the same way I do. I wonder if I’d have the same reaction to sports media if I lived in a market with a greater availability of sports sources, like NY.

The mispronunciations and altered pronunciations are a staple with Marinaro, so it’s just pointed out as an attempt at levity.
I suppose what I mean is that after you provided your list of people you can't stand, there was nobody left. There was literally nobody left untouched except for maybe Shawn Starr but seriously, he only exists for weird takes on soups during the "name a thing" competition.

Marinaro is a classic Montreal Italian guy. Even though they are born and raised in Quebec, not a lick of English or French was spoken at home so their pronunciation reflects that. "Sangawhich"..."Me, I think"...he's a caricature. The thing I hold against him is that he laser treated his face so he never needs to shave. That is possibly the most un-Italian thing I have ever heard of.

Nilan can't speak because he has a mouth full of fake teeth. I like his content though because it is raw and honest and reflects the world he came from. Is he going to win a peabody? No.

Montreal radio is pretty awful. You go to 800 and it's just angry anglos being angry anglos. You go to 620 and it's scary conservative stuff from south of the border or terrible play by play for the Yankees. FM has terrible music...so I guess 690 is the best thing I can find.

Sad state of affairs but I'm still glad we have 690.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
But one thing I always wondered....what kind of accent is that with the guy for the "Elictrika" ad? You know...the company you trust.

He's Irish. "John McElligott"
He's done work for my house. He knows what he is doing but he's a hilarious little guy. "Foook me,,,what the f*** is this sheeeeet heah? *rips out exposed wires*

Reactions: JJ68

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think Marinaro's shortcomings have more to do with his lack of a high formal education than they do with his personal background growing up. I believe he only has a high school education so his shortcomings are going to limit his ability to communicate.

However, gotta give him the fact that he's making a living in a treacherous, low-paying industry and how he tries to keep himself relevant by appearing on multiple media platforms and tapping heavily into social media, as he should. No other way to keep your job long term in a small anglo market like Montreal.

I remember when 690 was not affiliated with TSN, I think it was known as CIQC/CKGM. Marinaro and Simon come from that era. Both of them earned job security when the TSN affiliation kicked in. Not sure the station would have survived without it as it was teetering on being shut down.

I listen to 690 for the conduit it is in attracting pundits and contributors who are far more intelligent and compelling than any of their staffers, save for Melnick. And that's mostly due to their TSN affiliation and their ability to tap into a vast array of TSN broadcasters.

I totally agree about the shit show on 620. I'll occasionally listen in as a reminder of how good we have it in Canada. They are generally one chromosome away from Info Wars territory. Their kooks make ours look like choir boys. And yes, that broadcast team for the Yankees is horrible, as if the Yankees couldn't afford to do much better. As for CJAD, I only really like their Saturday afternoon fare, which is very unlike what they broadcast on weekdays.

Last edited:

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I think Marinaro's shortcomings have more to do with his lack of a high formal education than they do with his personal background growing up. I believe he only has a high school education so his shortcomings are going to limit his ability to communicate.

However, gotta give him the fact that he's making a living in a treacherous, low-paying industry and how he tries to keep himself relevant by appearing on multiple media platforms and tapping heavily into social media, as he should. No other way to keep your job long term in a small anglo market like Montreal.

I remember when 690 was not affiliated with TSN, I think it was known as CIQC/CKGM. Marinaro and Simon come from that era. Both of them earned job security when the TSN affiliation kicked in. Not sure the station would have survived without it and as it was teetering on being shut down.

I listen to 690 for the conduit it is in attracting pundits and contributors who are far more intelligent and compelling than any of their staffers, save for Melnick. And that's mostly due to their TSN affiliation and their ability to tap into a vast array of TSN broadcasters.

I totally agree about the **** show on 620. I'll occasionally listen in as a reminder of how good we have in Canada. They are generally one chromosome away from Info Wars territory. Their kooks make ours look like choir boys. And yes, that broadcast team for the Yankees is horrible, as if the Yankees couldn't afford to do much better. As for CJAD, I only really like their Saturday afternoon fare, which is very unlike what they broadcast on weekdays.
Before the TSN affiliation, they had a pretty good lineup of talent. Denis Casavant, Elliott Price, Randy Tieman (RIP), Mitch Melnick, Ted Tevens.... There were a good collection of veteran sports casters. Now, once you are passed Melnick, it's all a bunch of young guys that a lot of people don't relate to.
Campbell: Doesn't bother me as much as other people. Seems to be the guy that will work any time.
Gallo: Thoughtful at times and his banter with Aaron Ward is hilarious. Seems to have a decent sense of humour that might appeal more to young people. Not a fan of the pillow commercials but he's getting paid for that.
Tsalikis: Tries too hard to sound like a sketchy sports bookie...and seriously..."Free Coffee???"
Jay Farrar: Actually very funny and thoughtful...maybe plugs his brother too much.

Reactions: Runner77

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I've never been a stickler for language but for some reason it really bothers me when I listen to radio or tv and I hear announcers/journalists that can't speak correctly. In the past this province really had some great radio and tv personalities that were very articulate, eloquent and seemed to have a flair for language both on the english and french side. Somehow that all vanished. I was listening to 91.9 sports the other day and I can't remember what journalist was being interviewed but in a span of 5 minutes I think he swore twice. Like really, you can't make a point without swearing on the air. TSN690 is not much better..I mean is it so hard to find on air personalities that can speak proper english and french?? Once the Melnicks and Houdes retire that's about it for proper language skills in sports in this province.

I'm still puzzled at how rds and tva for example are unable to hire perfectly bilingual journalists to interview athletes. Seems like this province is full of perfectly bilingual people.

Last edited:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

I remember when 690 was not affiliated with TSN, I think it was known as CIQC/CKGM. Marinaro and Simon come from that era. Both of them earned job security when the TSN affiliation kicked in. Not sure the station would have survived without it as it was teetering on being shut down.

I totally agree about the **** show on 620. I'll occasionally listen in as a reminder of how good we have it in Canada. They are generally one chromosome away from Info Wars territory. Their kooks make ours look like choir boys. And yes, that broadcast team for the Yankees is horrible, as if the Yankees couldn't afford to do much better. As for CJAD, I only really like their Saturday afternoon fare, which is very unlike what they broadcast on weekdays.
100% agree. it's insufferable when there's no habs news. his dead-air,'ticket giveaway', riddle questions are cringe-worthy

Jul 6, 2016
I've never been a stickler for language but for some reason it really bothers me when I listen to radio or tv and I hear announcers/journalists that can't speak correctly. In the past this province really had some great radio and tv personalities that were very articulate, eloquent and seemed to have a flair for language both on the english and french side. Somehow that all vanished. I was listening to 91.9 sports the other day and I can't remember what journalist was being interviewed but in a span of 5 minutes I think he swore twice. Like really, you can't make a point without swearing on the air. TSN690 is not much better..I mean is it so hard to find on air personalities that can speak proper english and french?? Once the Melnicks and Houdes retire that's about it for proper language skills in sports in this province.

I'm still puzzled at how rds and tva for example are unable to hire perfectly bilingual journalists to interview athletes. Seems like this province is full of perfectly bilingual people.

These people are not sports broadcasters for sure !

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
For all the Leafs rah rah I have to deal with, Toronto sports radio is pretty solid. Great thing is the shows I listen to, they actually talk sports and stay on subject. Of course, it is 30% Leafs, 40% Raptors, 25% Jays and 5% everyone else, but at least it’s not the BS I hear whenever I tune into 690.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Seems like this province is full of perfectly bilingual people.

There are many in our province but apparently none of them want to work in the minimum salary environment of radio.

Everyday is a smorgasbord of mangled language on both English and French radio stations alike when it comes to words in the other language. It's as if they were being asked to pronounce German or Russian terms.

I remember the days when a broadcaster had to ply his trade in smaller regional stations in other cities and work their way up to radio stations in the bigger cities.

This is how Montreal and other large cities in Canada mined their talent. You wouldn't have to suffer through the idiocies of rank amateurs before they found their groove -- and that's if they found it.

Ted Tevan worked in Kingston where he was from and hit the big time when he arrived in Montreal. These amateurs we're enduring right now, they're learning on the fly and are mostly boring. Their knowledge? Not so much. The earlier broadcasters were newsgatherers and aggressively hunted down sources and contacts, knew how to create interest and sounded witty and intelligent when delivering comments. Compare that to the shortcut guys 690 employs -- they're reading the internet to you, they sound hollow.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For all the Leafs rah rah I have to deal with, Toronto sports radio is pretty solid. Great thing is the shows I listen to, they actually talk sports and stay on subject. Of course, it is 30% Leafs, 40% Raptors, 25% Jays and 5% everyone else, but at least it’s not the BS I hear whenever I tune into 690.

I'm good with the 5% everyone else ratio since it's Toronto sports radio which by definition is meant for a Toronto audience. They know what their listeners want to hear.

Where I have difficulty is when a Toronto station broadcasts all over Canada and the same type of Leaf, Raptor, Jay homerism seeps through markets outside of Toronto and they even have the gall to call themselves "Canada's best broadcasting this and best that" when mostly all they're doing is leaning far too heavily on local content. Every year, same thing. The term "Toronto-centric" was coined for a reason.

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

The good times with the Quebec's english sports radio is over. The good times with the Quebec's french sports radio is over. It's just the live game I listen in the air occasionally. Like if I'm not at home generally... It's just the live game I listen in the air when my cellphone isn't with me. To know the result live, you know... It distract me on my car conduct when I listen to them. Are they really paid? How did they graduated? What's their useful contents? Doing their off topics. Doing their old dad jokes. Disrespecting the fans who don't share the same opinion. Time is wasted...

I've and got all my infos on Hfhabs...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Marinaro, get on it. You're not doing a great job of shilling for the Limp Act.

Or maybe it's due to fans hearing Moffat's donkey goal calls and getting scared off.

If this keeps up, there will be yet more crocodile tears by Joey.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
There are many in our province but apparently none of them want to work in the minimum salary environment of radio.

Everyday is a smorgasbord of mangled language on both English and French radio stations alike when it comes to words in the other language. It's as if they were being asked to pronounce German or Russian terms.

I remember the days when a broadcaster had to ply his trade in smaller regional stations in other cities and work their way up to radio stations in the bigger cities.

This is how Montreal and other large cities in Canada mined their talent. You wouldn't have to suffer through the idiocies of rank amateurs before they found their groove -- and that's if they found it.

Ted Tevan worked in Kingston where he was from and hit the big time when he arrived in Montreal. These amateurs we're enduring right now, they're learning on the fly and are mostly boring. Their knowledge? Not so much. The earlier broadcasters were newsgatherers and aggressively hunted down sources and contacts, knew how to create interest and sounded witty and intelligent when delivering comments. Compare that to the shortcut guys 690 employs -- they're reading the internet to you, they sound hollow.
An argument can be made that English Montreal radio is a smaller market than Kingston. In Kingston, everyone is English and a potential listener. In Quebec, it's a very low percentage.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
An argument can be made that English Montreal radio is a smaller market than Kingston. In Kingston, everyone is English and a potential listener. In Quebec, it's a very low percentage.
If you rank our english Montreal's radio in Canada... What's our position? Like straight up to the map?

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The learning in small markets approach is largely gone because those small market jobs barely exist. I knew a couple of sports radio guys who had stories about covering Junior B hockey, high school sports, etc. Those budgets have been taken to the bone.

Anyone following Jack Todd’s obsession with Drake? Todd, who goes out of his way to slam Toronto in the most infantile and ignorant ways, says Drake is disrespecting the city. And Jack Todd doesn’t like it.

For a guy who used to brag about his social activism, he has spilled a lot of ink on columns that demand Drake and Subban conduct themselves in a more reserved manner. He’s all but calling the uppity without using the actual word.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The learning in small markets approach is largely gone because those small market jobs barely exist. I knew a couple of sports radio guys who had stories about covering Junior B hockey, high school sports, etc. Those budgets have been taken to the bone.

Anyone following Jack Todd’s obsession with Drake? Todd, who goes out of his way to slam Toronto in the most infantile and ignorant ways, says Drake is disrespecting the city. And Jack Todd doesn’t like it.

For a guy who used to brag about his social activism, he has spilled a lot of ink on columns that demand Drake and Subban conduct themselves in a more reserved manner. He’s all but calling the uppity without using the actual word.

Todd should have gone the extra step and called for Drake to become a Raptor-dodger. :sarcasm:

Talk about a guy who was never relevant and has become even less so, over time.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Since I like to surf my radio channels, I'll sometimes happen on 91.9 FM where I get my fill of great joual from the old timer correspondents who have regular segments on the drive-in show.

So casually listening in this afternoon, I hear this:

Din séries, kekkun saoow toujours de kekk paoow pour faire kekk chose qui saoow de nul paoow.

In formal French: Dans les séries, il y a toujours quelqu'un qui sort de quelque part pour faire quelque chose qui sort de nulle part.

All of this filler talk just to manufacture another cliche-worthy line: In the playoffs, there is always someone coming from somewhere who does something that comes out of nowhere.

You can only truly appreciate this stuff if you live in the province. I always get entertained by it, it's so unique.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
hockey30_2019-05-30_%C3%A0_16.57.48.png

Marinaro, what's up with that?

Only 11,966 in attendance, despite favorable weather and discounted tickets.

Second smallest crowd in Saputo Stadium history since joining the MLS.

Reactions: DXStriker

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
hockey30_2019-05-30_%C3%A0_16.57.48.png

Marinaro, what's up with that?

Only 11,966 in attendance, despite favorable weather and discounted tickets.

Second smallest crowd in Saputo Stadium history since joining the MLS.

Sad considering that the Impacts are up there in the standings.

Would not the Expos have a similar fate? not off the hop though seeing it's fresh,but long term? and on top,if they have poor seasons.,or is it still location?

I went to a ton of 'spos games and even when they were very good, so little attendance at times.They did play a fair amount of days games though,odd!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sad considering that the Impacts are up there in the standings.

Would not the Expos have a similar fate? not off the hop though seeing it's fresh,but long term? and on top,if they have poor seasons.,or is it still location?

I went to a ton of 'spos games and even when they were very good, so little attendance at times.They did play a fair amount of days games though,odd!

I wouldn't mix the Expos in there, since baseball requires 81 home games as you well know. Totally different attendance perspective.

Also, the Expos's woes are well documented, boneheaded and shortsighted ownership decisions and firesales gutted the product. I was tired of seeing all the best players sold off when they were due for a raise. Not exactly what the local soccer team is doing.

I mentioned the soccer team on account of Marinaro's relentless propaganda where he's shilling for the Impact owner and chastising fans for not attending. Is that his job? What exactly are his constant pleas for attending and dissing fans who don't like soccer -- are they infomercials? If they are, then the Impact ownership group should pay for their commercials like everyone else.

Essentially, in keeping with this thread's subject, Marinaro uses the airwaves in a manner where it looks like he does not have an arm's length relationship with the soccer club. When a broadcaster cannot distance himself enough from a team's business and is using the air waves to sell the product rather than discuss the sport and simply invite discussion and fan reaction without becoming an agent for their sales, then it reeks and he should be called on it.

Reactions: DXStriker

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I wouldn't mix the Expos in there, since baseball requires 81 home games as you well know. Totally different attendance perspective.

Also, the Expos's woes are well documented, boneheaded and shortsighted ownership decisions and firesales gutted the product. I was tired of seeing all the best players sold off when they were due for a raise. Not exactly what the local soccer team is doing.

I mentioned the soccer team on account of Marinaro's relentless propaganda where he's shilling for the Impact owner and chastising fans for not attending. Is that his job? What exactly are his constant pleas for attending and dissing fans who don't like soccer -- are they infomercials? If they are, then the Impact ownership group should pay for their commercials like everyone else.

Essentially, in keeping with this thread's subject, Marinaro uses the airwaves in a manner where it looks like he does not have an arm's length relationship with the soccer club. When a broadcaster cannot distance himself enough from a team's business and is using the air waves to sell the product rather than discuss the sport and simply invite discussion and fan reaction without becoming an agent for their sales, then it reeks and he should be called on it.

Well put! on the other hand,is he just an emotional fan? I might take exception that so few attend,considering Montreal has many ethnicity's that football/soccer, is the sport most followed in their native country. In Montreal,not sure between Soccer and baseball which one has more fans.

Yes the Expos were screwed over,and over and over again destined to fail. Not trying exasperate anyone,but is it simply location or after the pace and action of hockey........pales in comparison?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well put! on the other hand,is he just an emotional fan? I might take exception that so few attend,considering Montreal has many ethnicity's that football/soccer, is the sport most followed in their native country. In Montreal,not sure between Soccer and baseball which one has more fans.

Yes the Expos were screwed over,and over and over again destined to fail. Not trying exasperate anyone,but is it simply location or after the pace and action of hockey........pales in comparison?

He does get so involved in it and can understand his passion. But, he's also working on a commercial station that charges other businesses for ads and I honestly can't tell the difference a lot of times when Marinaro promotes the soccer team. I don't know how many attendance pleas he can make before a breaking point is reached or someone with pull calls him on them.

One thing is certain -- there looks to be a void between the end of the Habs season and the start of Habs training camp. I don't think the soccer team or the Als have filled it, not in the way the Expos had during so many summers. And the Expos never played out of a real home major league stadium.

Baseball coverage on 690 has pretty much died off except with the morning guys and Melnick's show and even then, it comes in moderate doses. If the Expos were back, it might just provide local sports radio with that content they've been craving for and can't seem to be able to market effectively with their current non-Hab offerings.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace

many people that follow soccer find MLS skill level too low. after watching EPL or La Liga it is hard to watch a bunch of neverwillbees and a few hasbeens trying to push the ball around. tomorrow European Champions League final will be played at 3PM and Impact will be playing at 5PM. I expect another low attendance.

in addition, despite what some people are saying, Saputo stadium itself and atmosphere there is not that great comparing to watching games live in England or Germany. smoking section is great at SS though - no one smokes tobacco there. unreal. :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
many people that follow soccer find MLS skill level too low. after watching EPL or La Liga it is hard to watch a bunch of neverwillbees and a few hasbeens trying to push the ball around. tomorrow European Champions League final will be played at 3PM and Impact will be playing at 5PM. I expect another low attendance.

in addition, despite what some people are saying, Saputo stadium itself and atmosphere there is not that great comparing to watching games live in England or Germany. smoking section is great at SS though - no one smokes tobaco there. unreal. :)

Good point. What set the Expos apart is that fans got to see the best baseball players in the world, even if sometimes some of the best used to once be on the Expos's roster. :sarcasm:

Maybe that's also why Marinaro's pleas are sounding hollow. He's trying too hard to peddle a product that isn't at its best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad