TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by Lshap, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Runner77

Runner77 **********************************************

To put the media aspect in proper perspective, I don't know that mainstream Quebec sports media said anything about Price. It was more particularly a blogger who doesn't ascribe to the most basic tenets of journalism and who almost never provides sources, who takes the work of others and provides no credit, who was front and and center in attacking Price. A distinction needs to be made IMHO as not all franco media should be cast in the same light.

I believe the same blogger (who is not worth mentioning) did the same thing to Galchenyuk plus there was the Mario Tremblay faux pas on AC, which was completely uncalled for and crossed the line.

DXStriker likes this.
  2. Yoshidas Island

Yoshidas Island Ty Smith #1

Cue the music!

Inkling likes this.
  3. Runner77

I heard the segment and it was all over the place, including genitalia jokes and sexual innuendos, which was cringeworthy.

He should go back to dealing with law issues and not quit his day job on air.

Inkling likes this.
  4. Guns n Roses

Guns n Roses Registered User

Sure it’s not all of the French sports media, but most I would say. They love to jump on nothing stories like starving dogs and make themselves the center of attention at the expense of our players. They aren’t fair, and often biased. I’m embarrassed by them personally. Especially that piece of **** Mario Tremblay. They should act like respectable men instead of schoolgirl gossipers.

5. ahmedou

ahmedou #GoHabsdouGo

Have they such an unlimited freedom of speech. Have they such an unlimited freedom of expression. Defamation and defamations extremely to the extreme... That’s their negative side I’m against to...
    It’s far away from their duty and duties. Respect your job. Don’t disrespect your job. Your job is a privilege in the Montreal environment. You’re listened. You’re trusted. Don’t cross the line... No rights to file complaints in court against them? Are they untouchable? In a rate of 1 to 10, how much is their power.

6. peate

peate Good grief!

Not as bad as they make it out to be. Their audience is large though.

7. Runner77

Given how there are a lot more media types on the franco side, it's also easier to find more of them who are unethical or who are just **** disturbers with political or other non-sports agendas. It's a sheer numbers game. Otherwise, you'll find a healthy contingent of incompetents and hyperbole-manufacturers on the anglo side too.

I think we need to draw the line at how we define "media". Pros who work in mainstream media, generally have standards to uphold and are answerable to direct overseers and professional organizations that can sanction them or their employers.

Your online bloggers who are typically answerable to no one, who don't practice any journalistic standards and who generally are loathe to provide sources, are the ones who are most likely to stir the pot for no good reason and know they likely won't be held responsible for their actions. Unfortunately, it is also these guys who get more traction than the ones who do it professionally within recognized media outlets.

Guns n Roses likes this.
  8. Adriatic

Adriatic Registered User

Who's that clown that writes for the Gazette? I've never read such bias uninformed drivel in my life. Maybe an entertainment journalist if you can call him that, he often writes sports articles about the Habs because it gets him clicks I guess. That guy has some kind of personal agenda against the Habs or something.

The Gr8 Dane likes this.
  9. The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane Registered User

I don’t think the “evil french media” is something players actually worry about if ever thinking about coming here. Could be wrong but if we are comparing media scrutiny between Toronto and Montreal for example wich are similar I don’t think players are more afraid of MTL’s terrible media any more than Toronto’s.
    Hard to say since Montreal and Toronto are the only franchises really comparable when it comes to scrutiny. I could easily see a scenario like pk’s or paciorrety’s happening in Toronto , getting run out of town, etc...

10. jackeymoon

jackeymoon #EugeneMolson #GeoffBallard

Chef
    The station is getting even dumber somehow

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  11. Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels Registered User

It's Mitch Melnick's 60th birthday today.

12. TatTar

TatTar Registered User

60 is a good age to be at. Can remember great Canadiens team and many Cups. From Danny Galivan to Jean Beliveau. Those in this generation likely will not know the trill of a Cup win. Let alone a dynasty. In the end memories is all we will have.

peate and Runner77 like this.
  13. WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings #1 Centre

Idiot Chris Nilan retweeted a transphobic tweet today.

Runner77 likes this.
  14. Runner77

Someone is reading Chris Knucklehead Nilan? :amazed:

That’s the danger of social media. If someone’s a bigot, they end up exposing themselves.

DXStriker and WeThreeKings like this.
  15. Tighthead

Tighthead Registered User

And two tweets later he says how he hates bullies.

Nilan is involved ins several anti-bullying campaigns, but he constantly belittles people and resorts to name calling and ad hominem statements. It’s the intro to his show ffs.

WeThreeKings, Runner77 and DXStriker like this.
  16. yianik

yianik Registered User

I think the Medias would have to go real far out of bounds before the team would be okay with a player taking a run at them legally.

17. lo striver

lo striver avoiding improved hotdogs

with his skills and knowledge Wilde must be working for Uber as a driver nowadays

Dominator13 and Runner77 like this.
  18. JD Lagrange

JD Lagrange Registered User

Home Page:
    Brendan Kelly, Stu Cowan, Tony Marinaro, Mitch Gallo, Mitch Melnick, Andrew Berkshire... there are plenty on the English side as well. If anything, I find that most bloggers show more professionalism than the names mentioned above. Sometimes, I wish the Habs would cut their media passes. Not because they're critical, but because they're constantly digging for negativity, putting down the organization that feeds them.

19. Runner77

Brendan Kelly is probably the most critical of Habs management. I prefer someone who doesn't have an agenda and can be honest in disseminating the good with the bad. Criticize when it's warranted but also give credit when it's deserved.

20. Tighthead

Tighthead Registered User

At least with Kelly, he openly writes from the fan perspective, not as a reporter. So it’s easier to ignore. I enjoyed his candour refreshing at first but I haven’t seen a column of his in two seasons.

Pulling press passes is a looney tunes approach. The iron curtain should never be your business model.

21. Chili

Chili Registered User

Interesting interview this morning on 690 with Tony Marinaro, Larry Robinson. #19 made the point about the importance of size in the playoffs.

22. angusyoung

angusyoung Registered User

self employed?
    Yup! size matters.lol

Size comes in many forms,solidness is probably the appropriate term though. Would rather have a player at 5 10 185-190 than a tall lanky player like 6 2 at 200.

23. Chili

Chili Registered User

He spoke about the weardown of smaller players in the playoffs and how players (like Krug) start to get shy about going into the corners for the puck.

I thought St Louis was awesome at times cycling the puck, winning the battles in the o-zone and wearing teams down. Which eventually led to scoring chances or penalties.

24. angusyoung

angusyoung Registered User

self employed?
    Yes I heard,but again,I am inferring solidness as opposed to the vague term size,size comes in many forms.

25. Chili

Chili Registered User

Got that. He didn't say short. Someone 5 10 205 is not really small.

I don't know how big Barbashev is but he didn't play small these playoffs.

Did you ever have the chance to meet/see Gordie Howe up close? His upper body compared to his legs was huge and was one of the reasons he dominated.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    angusyoung likes this.