TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You really think anyone would give Renaud Lavoie any real information? The guy is a putz. You think the Karlsson camp wants all these rumours going around and the evil French media blabbing away? No. After the bad track record the French media has, people must be very reluctant to talk to them. The French hockey media in this city is pure trash, what they did to countless players and recently Price and Galchenyuk. I mean, attacking Price’s marriage/personal life... pure trash.

To put the media aspect in proper perspective, I don't know that mainstream Quebec sports media said anything about Price. It was more particularly a blogger who doesn't ascribe to the most basic tenets of journalism and who almost never provides sources, who takes the work of others and provides no credit, who was front and and center in attacking Price. A distinction needs to be made IMHO as not all franco media should be cast in the same light.

I believe the same blogger (who is not worth mentioning) did the same thing to Galchenyuk plus there was the Mario Tremblay faux pas on AC, which was completely uncalled for and crossed the line.

Reactions: DXStriker

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I like Eric Macramalla, he can bring a lot of good information to the table, but someone needs to tell him that less-is-more when it comes to the "shtick". It used to be that there would be a bit of banter around decent talk about sports law issues but now it seems like his segments are 90% shtick. God help you if you don't know the references. This morning I think they might have been talking about "This is Us" (though pretty sure Eric said "This is That" at one point) but I've never seen it. I mean, fair enough, I don't expect to get everything talked about, but maybe we're not all as enamoured with your self-effacing humour as you seem to be.
Cue the music!

Reactions: Inkling

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I like Eric Macramalla, he can bring a lot of good information to the table, but someone needs to tell him that less-is-more when it comes to the "shtick". It used to be that there would be a bit of banter around decent talk about sports law issues but now it seems like his segments are 90% shtick. God help you if you don't know the references. This morning I think they might have been talking about "This is Us" (though pretty sure Eric said "This is That" at one point) but I've never seen it. I mean, fair enough, I don't expect to get everything talked about, but maybe we're not all as enamoured with your self-effacing humour as you seem to be.

I heard the segment and it was all over the place, including genitalia jokes and sexual innuendos, which was cringeworthy.

He should go back to dealing with law issues and not quit his day job on air.

Reactions: Inkling

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
To put the media aspect in proper perspective, I don't know that mainstream Quebec sports media said anything about Price. It was more particularly a blogger who doesn't ascribe to the most basic tenets of journalism and who almost never provides sources, who takes the work of others and provides no credit, who was front and and center in attacking Price. A distinction needs to be made IMHO as not all franco media should be cast in the same light.

I believe the same blogger (who is not worth mentioning) did the same thing to Galchenyuk plus there was the Mario Tremblay faux pas on AC, which was completely uncalled for and crossed the line.
Sure it’s not all of the French sports media, but most I would say. They love to jump on nothing stories like starving dogs and make themselves the center of attention at the expense of our players. They aren’t fair, and often biased. I’m embarrassed by them personally. Especially that piece of shit Mario Tremblay. They should act like respectable men instead of schoolgirl gossipers.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Have they such an unlimited freedom of speech. Have they such an unlimited freedom of expression. Defamation and defamations extremely to the extreme... That’s their negative side I’m against to...
It’s far away from their duty and duties. Respect your job. Don’t disrespect your job. Your job is a privilege in the Montreal environment. You’re listened. You’re trusted. Don’t cross the line... No rights to file complaints in court against them? Are they untouchable? In a rate of 1 to 10, how much is their power.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Have they such an unlimited freedom of speech. Have they such an unlimited freedom of expression. Defamation and defamations extremely to the extreme... That’s their negative side I’m against to...
It’s far away from their duty and duties. Respect your job. Don’t disrespect your job. Your job is a privilege in the Montreal environment. You’re listened. You’re trusted. Don’t cross the line... No rights to file complaints in court against them? Are they untouchable? In a rate of 1 to 10, how much is their power.
Not as bad as they make it out to be. Their audience is large though.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sure it’s not all of the French sports media, but most I would say. They love to jump on nothing stories like starving dogs and make themselves the center of attention at the expense of our players. They aren’t fair, and often biased. I’m embarrassed by them personally. Especially that piece of **** Mario Tremblay. They should act like respectable men instead of schoolgirl gossipers.

Given how there are a lot more media types on the franco side, it's also easier to find more of them who are unethical or who are just shit disturbers with political or other non-sports agendas. It's a sheer numbers game. Otherwise, you'll find a healthy contingent of incompetents and hyperbole-manufacturers on the anglo side too.

I think we need to draw the line at how we define "media". Pros who work in mainstream media, generally have standards to uphold and are answerable to direct overseers and professional organizations that can sanction them or their employers.

Your online bloggers who are typically answerable to no one, who don't practice any journalistic standards and who generally are loathe to provide sources, are the ones who are most likely to stir the pot for no good reason and know they likely won't be held responsible for their actions. Unfortunately, it is also these guys who get more traction than the ones who do it professionally within recognized media outlets.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Given how there are a lot more media types on the franco side, it's also easier to find more of them who are unethical or who are just **** disturbers with political or other non-sports agendas. It's a sheer numbers game. Otherwise, you'll find a healthy contingent of incompetents and hyperbole-manufacturers on the anglo side too.

I think we need to draw the line at how we define "media". Pros who work in mainstream media, generally have standards to uphold and are answerable to direct overseers and professional organizations that can sanction them or their employers.

Your online bloggers who are typically answerable to no one, who don't practice any journalistic standards and who generally are loathe to provide sources, are the ones who are most likely to stir the pot for no good reason and know they likely won't be held responsible for their actions. Unfortunately, it is also these guys who get more traction than the ones who do it professionally within recognized media outlets.
Who's that clown that writes for the Gazette? I've never read such bias uninformed drivel in my life. Maybe an entertainment journalist if you can call him that, he often writes sports articles about the Habs because it gets him clicks I guess. That guy has some kind of personal agenda against the Habs or something.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I don’t think the “evil french media” is something players actually worry about if ever thinking about coming here. Could be wrong but if we are comparing media scrutiny between Toronto and Montreal for example wich are similar I don’t think players are more afraid of MTL’s terrible media any more than Toronto’s.
Hard to say since Montreal and Toronto are the only franchises really comparable when it comes to scrutiny. I could easily see a scenario like pk’s or paciorrety’s happening in Toronto , getting run out of town, etc...

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

I think the Medias would have to go real far out of bounds before the team would be okay with a player taking a run at them legally.

JD Lagrange

Jun 13, 2019
habsterix.com
Given how there are a lot more media types on the franco side, it's also easier to find more of them who are unethical or who are just **** disturbers with political or other non-sports agendas. It's a sheer numbers game. Otherwise, you'll find a healthy contingent of incompetents and hyperbole-manufacturers on the anglo side too.

Brendan Kelly, Stu Cowan, Tony Marinaro, Mitch Gallo, Mitch Melnick, Andrew Berkshire... there are plenty on the English side as well. If anything, I find that most bloggers show more professionalism than the names mentioned above. Sometimes, I wish the Habs would cut their media passes. Not because they're critical, but because they're constantly digging for negativity, putting down the organization that feeds them.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Brendan Kelly, Stu Cowan, Tony Marinaro, Mitch Gallo, Mitch Melnick, Andrew Berkshire... there are plenty on the English side as well. If anything, I find that most bloggers show more professionalism than the names mentioned above. Sometimes, I wish the Habs would cut their media passes. Not because they're critical, but because they're constantly digging for negativity, putting down the organization that feeds them.

Brendan Kelly is probably the most critical of Habs management. I prefer someone who doesn't have an agenda and can be honest in disseminating the good with the bad. Criticize when it's warranted but also give credit when it's deserved.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Brendan Kelly is probably the most critical of Habs management. I prefer someone who doesn't have an agenda and can be honest in disseminating the good with the bad. Criticize when it's warranted but also give credit when it's deserved.

At least with Kelly, he openly writes from the fan perspective, not as a reporter. So it’s easier to ignore. I enjoyed his candour refreshing at first but I haven’t seen a column of his in two seasons.

Pulling press passes is a looney tunes approach. The iron curtain should never be your business model.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Interesting interview this morning on 690 with Tony Marinaro, Larry Robinson. #19 made the point about the importance of size in the playoffs.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Interesting interview this morning on 690 with Tony Marinaro, Larry Robinson. #19 made the point about the importance of size in the playoffs.

Yup! size matters.lol

Size comes in many forms,solidness is probably the appropriate term though. Would rather have a player at 5 10 185-190 than a tall lanky player like 6 2 at 200.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Yup! size matters.lol

Size comes in many forms,solidness is probably the appropriate term though. Would rather have a player at 5 10 185-190 than a tall lanky player like 6 2 at 200.
He spoke about the weardown of smaller players in the playoffs and how players (like Krug) start to get shy about going into the corners for the puck.

I thought St Louis was awesome at times cycling the puck, winning the battles in the o-zone and wearing teams down. Which eventually led to scoring chances or penalties.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He spoke about the weardown of smaller players in the playoffs and how players (like Krug) start to get shy about going into the corners for the puck.

I thought St Louis was awesome at times cycling the puck, winning the battles in the o-zone and wearing teams down. Which eventually led to scoring chances or penalties.

Yes I heard,but again,I am inferring solidness as opposed to the vague term size,size comes in many forms.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Yes I heard,but again,I am inferring solidness as opposed to the vague term size,size comes in many forms.
Got that. He didn't say short. Someone 5 10 205 is not really small.

I don't know how big Barbashev is but he didn't play small these playoffs.

Did you ever have the chance to meet/see Gordie Howe up close? His upper body compared to his legs was huge and was one of the reasons he dominated.
dynamic_resize

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->