TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
This means Sean "I make no sense with my Habs Schill Defense Point of Views" Campbell will probably become the next Habs play by play guy lol

The one good thing would mean he probably would not be on the radio during the day on 3 shows anymore lol

I just have trouble getting behind a play by play call with a high voice. Robert's voice was just about perfect although he did sound slightly psychotic on certain calls....."KUUUUUULAK!!!!"

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Thanks for that! had to listen to that after finding it. Spit it out man! ffs! I can read faster than he speaks,so painful! Says nothing that we don't already know,yet gets paid to do this?lucky guy! and it takes how long to write and publish a story? Good god Jim,as Bones would say. lol.
He needs people to subscribe to the athletic...so he wont give the juice on 690.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I can't take Moffat's soccer calls. His donkey version of Andres Cantor's signature goal call, is eerily pathetic.

It wouldn't be so bad if those of us who can't stand the call, could simply avoid Limp Act games.

But no, they replay it to death during Limp Act commercials and all of his calls following a Limp Act game are featured as highlights on any of the station's shows.

That unmistakable "scahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" will scar you for life.

Is anyone even paying attention at the garbage they're spewing at that station? Moffat's Als's calls are much more sensible and he doesn't make a clown of himself as he does on soccer calls. Most of 690 sounds like student radio anyways, so I guess Moffat the Scah Donkey fits right in.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A gem last week when Melnick wasn't working and was replaced by Simon the Mispronouncing MotorMouth Know-it-all.

There was a routine Gord Miller segment on Melnick's show and Simon interacting with Melnick, soon finds out that Miller won't let mispronunciations and the type of language mangling that characterizes Simon and others at the station, fly by without slapping them down.

And so, Simon trying to sound like the usual smart aleck that he is, resorts to the expression "nip in the bud" during his Miller conversation. But, he pronounces it "nip it in the butt". No sooner does he do that, that Miller nails him. Simon lost his composure as Miller laid it thick, gave him a nice virtual slap in the back of the head. Thanks Gord, our sanity was restored over the minute or so that you put Simon in his place.

Not to be outdone, the following day, 690's morning guys replayed the segment. Sometimes, those guys just don't give a shit. "Hey, free coffee!"

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And now for our regular language mangling segment.

I've heard several ads in the past week by that mangler par excellence, Tony Marinaro -- whether it's for Montreal Auto Prix or some other sponsor, where he can't even pronounce his own name. Has anyone noticed this? He says, "this is Tony MARRR-NARO". :laugh:

Which reminds me of one of Marinaro's all time worse pronunciations. Whenever he talks about the Montreal Alouettes, he refers to them as the "Montralouettes. I've heard him getting grilled about this by the 690 morning guys.

Just when I thought Marinaro was the only on-air dud crunching up words like that, I had the misfortune of hearing Elias Makos just two weeks ago, pronouncing the words "municipal politics" as "municipolitics". Straight out of the Marrrrnaro School of nonsensical speech patterns.

I was listening on 690 this morning when a trio from hell was dealt out. On a consecutive basis, it started with Marinaro playing a radio ad featuring himself where he used the "Marrrrnaro" pronunciation. Followed by the lame and somniferous Sean Campbell with a fluff bit about nothing. And completing the disaster when the station played a Limp Act ad with Rick Moffat doing his donkey-ass goal call.

Only thing that could have made it even worse, would have been to have all of that followed by Moe Khan. Man, that station just keeps hitting new lows.

Reactions: Pickles

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
I can't take Moffat's soccer calls. His donkey version of Andres Cantor's signature goal call, is eerily pathetic.

It wouldn't be so bad if those of us who can't stand the call, could simply avoid Limp Act games.

But no, they replay it to death during Limp Act commercials and all of his calls following a Limp Act game are featured as highlights on any of the station's shows.

Is anyone even paying attention at the garbage they're spewing at that station? Moffat's Als's calls are much more sensible and he doesn't make a clown of himself as he does on soccer calls. Most of 690 sounds like student radio anyways, so I guess Moffat the Scah Donkey fits right in.

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
What does that (scah) even mean? Is that a Mo' Phat-ism, or does it have contextual meaning? I generally mute the radio when a commercial featuring one of his a$$ calls is playing.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What does that (scah) even mean? Is that a Mo' Phat-ism, or does it have contextual meaning? I generally mute the radio when a commercial featuring one of his a$$ calls is playing.

I do the same or quickly switch channels. It’s unbearable. :laugh:

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
A gem last week when Melnick wasn't working and was replaced by Simon the Mispronouncing MotorMouth Know-it-all.
"
It pains me to no end that TSN Toronto has competent, knowledgeable and
entertaining sports talk show hosts while Montreal fans are agonized (and in some cases - read Marinaro - antagonized) by the likes of Tsalikis, Gallo, Campbell et cie, who can barely speak in English.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

IsXammF.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
entertaining sports talk show hosts while Montreal fans are agonized (and in some cases - read Marinaro - antagonized) by the likes of Tsalikis, Gallo, Campbell et cie, who can barely speak in English.

Nilan can't finish a sentence. And Moe Khan can't enunciate, he's a chore to listen to. Everywhere you look, just asinine offerings except on the afternoon show. Problem is Melnick's judgment has become questionable, surrounding himself by such incompetents.

Reactions: Corson27

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
And now for our regular language mangling segment.

I've heard several ads in the past week by that mangler par excellence, Tony Marinaro -- whether it's for Montreal Auto Prix or some other sponsor, where he can't even pronounce his own name. Has anyone noticed this? He says, "this is Tony MARRR-NARO". :laugh:

Which reminds me of one of Marinaro's all time worse pronunciations. Whenever he talks about the Montreal Alouettes, he refers to them as the "Montralouettes. I've heard him getting grilled about this by the 690 morning guys.

Just when I thought Marinaro was the only on-air dud crunching up words like that, I had the misfortune of hearing Elias Makos just two weeks ago, pronouncing the words "municipal politics" as "municipolitics". Straight out of the Marrrrnaro School of nonsensical speech patterns.

I was listening on 690 this morning when a trio from hell was dealt out. On a consecutive basis, it started with Marinaro playing a radio ad featuring himself where he used the "Marrrrnaro" pronunciation. Followed by the lame and somniferous Sean Campbell with a fluff bit about nothing. And completing the disaster when the station played a Limp Act ad with Rick Moffat doing his donkey-ass goal call.

Only thing that could have made it even worse, would have been to have all of that followed by Moe Khan. Man, that station just keeps hitting new lows.
I can't stand him but I'm going to give him a mulligan on pronouncing his own name. If he wants to say it without any emphasis on the "I", it is his business.

Why do you listen to 690? It seems to bother you intensely.

Reactions: bsl and Runner77

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Nilan can't finish a sentence. And Moe Khan can't enunciate, he's a chore to listen to. Everywhere you look, just asinine offerings except on the afternoon show. Problem is Melnick's judgment has become questionable, surrounding himself by such incompetents.

I don’t think Melnick has much influence outside of his own show. Moffat is management.

Gallo is much more measured on the afternoon drive. Without Melnick he loses the plot.

It’s not going to get any better. You have to be insane to see broadcasting/journalism as a viable career option in today’s world. If you are clever and engaging there are many better options.

Reactions: bsl and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I can't stand him but I'm going to give him a mulligan on pronouncing his own name. If he wants to say it without any emphasis on the "I", it is his business.

I like sports talk and getting it from the radio is the easiest source. I offer criticism just to see if others experience it in the same way I do. I wonder if I’d have the same reaction to sports media if I lived in a market with a greater availability of sports sources, like NY.

The mispronunciations and altered pronunciations are a staple with Marinaro, so it’s just pointed out as an attempt at levity.

Reactions: Pickles

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Haven't listened to much TSN690 lately but did tune in today just has Nilan came on. He had knee replacement surgery last Friday and the guys asked him how many surgeries he's had now and he said he's had 34 surgeries and that was the 12th on the knee he just had done. Crazy.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

He has to be the worst of all time.....the worst takes ever!!

It’s no wonder he constantly loses on the quiz

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Same reason why people stare at an accident on the highway.....curiosity.

Plus the show does have its good moments

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Same reason why people stare at an accident on the highway.....curiosity.

Plus the show does have its good moments

When something is grotesque, it captures your attention even if you want to turn away from it.

There are some funny moments but a lot of times, it's unintended humor which makes it even more hilarious.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016

It also helps that Bob and the gang will hang out for 30 mins + on the show and they get TV Time and the spotlight is shining straight on them but it helps to be Toronto Sports Network :)

Although I found it weird that TSN Vancouver had a TV Channel as well at some point , cannot remember if they still do

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Haven't listened to much TSN690 lately but did tune in today just has Nilan came on. He had knee replacement surgery last Friday and the guys asked him how many surgeries he's had now and he said he's had 34 surgeries and that was the 12th on the knee he just had done. Crazy.
Heard that today too, sounds like he's in a lot of pain. He also mentioned his fear of infection.

It reminded me of the Jim Otto story (ex NFL). According to Wikipedia 74 operations, including 3 joint replacements where life threatning infections set in. 28 knee surgeries, finally one of his legs was amputated.

Otto's book is called 'The Pain of Glory', I imagine a lot of ex athletes can relate to that.

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I didn't listen to the TSN690 Friday scrum or whatever they call it these days today but Campbell just said that Simon Tsalikis got so outraged by the topic they were discussing that he got up and just left the studio. To anyone who was listening what were the guys discussing that pissed Simon Tsalikis off so much?

Just saw the Tsalikis tweet so I guess it was something to do with Drake.

Might have to listen to this once the audio is up on the TSN690 website. :)

Edit: Just listened and it was nothing really. I was expecting a little outrage or shouting but meh. The guy just walked out without saying anything really.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I didn't listen to the TSN690 Friday scrum or whatever they call it these days today but Campbell just said that Simon Tsalikis got so outraged by the topic they were discussing that he got up and just left the studio. To anyone who was listening what were the guys discussing that pissed Simon Tsalikis off so much?

Just saw the Tsalikis tweet so I guess it was something to do with Drake.

Might have to listen to this once the audio is up on the TSN690 website. :)

Edit: Just listened and it was nothing really. I was expecting a little outrage or shouting but meh. The guy just walked out without saying anything really.

Fixed!!!! :sarcasm:

Hey, free coffee! :D

Reactions: DXStriker

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
I dont bother to listen much unless there's a news piece that I might want to hear get debated about. Mostly I skip TSN radio during the Habs off season. From the replacement hosts and guests, to the fans of the station who like to call in every day just to get some sort of recognition or attention, like that taxi cab driver Tony always gets who is having a nervous breakdown, to the juvenile conversations and boring repetitive food talk you hear with the duds in the morning show....it's just too much crap. My f***ing pillow f*** off.

But one thing I always wondered....what kind of accent is that with the guy for the "Elictrika" ad? You know...the company you trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->