TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This is absolute gold. I never thought I'd hear it coming from the mouth of a Toronto media honk but it's spot-on.

Love Sid, and his rants................he is right though, there is nothing to base the excitement on in TO yet.............not sure if JT can even replace the hole in the offence left by JVR. Most have sad all along, one of those 3 kids will have to be dangled to get a 1-2 RHD.
Anyhow, Sid is awesome!!

Reactions: Shad

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Exactly. I'll bet that Melnick and Moffatt are the only guys at 690 who don't need to have a second job to pay the bills. Pretty much everybody else needs another gig because what they get paid by the station doesn't cut it. I have a friend who used to be a producer at CJAD. Nice title but it barely paid better than minimum wage. And speaking as someone who got satellite radio a few months ago, I can safely say that terrestrial radio is largely un-listenable in comparison, and not just because of the ads.

Montreal is a city with an ever-aging, ever-shrinking English speaking population. It's no coincidence that the caliber of English media there (TV, radio and newspapers) are second-rate on a good day. Think about it. Would a lazy hack like Pat Hickey be able to get a job in a real media market? Toronto has a huge Italian population but Marinaro couldn't get a job cleaning the toilets at a Toronto radio station. Melnick is the only sports guy on English radio who has any talent and, quite honestly, he's good but hardly great. He's hard on Bergevin but he puts on the kid gloves with McGuire because they're buddy-buddy. The segment with Pierre always frustrates me because I'm waiting for Melnick to call Pierre on his BS and he never does. He never presses him. It never gets heated. Just softball after softball.
Yes that's pretty much right however I can understand why Melnick doesn't call out Pierre on his bs. However annoying he is they can't afford to lose Pierre, he's a big personality in the hockey world and does draw listeners so you gotta bite your tongue if you're Mitch and live with it. Like you said this station is fighting to stay afloat in this market, they can't afford to pay decent wages for top radio talent so they do with whatever they have. I'm sure they would do a lot of things differently with a bigger budget so I can understand if they don't wanna lose a portion of the few listeners they have who tune in to listen to Pierre. Also Pierre is on a lot radio stations so I'm thinking he doesn't get called out on his bs a lot for the same reasons elsewhere.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Love Sid, and his rants................he is right though, there is nothing to base the excitement on in TO yet.............not sure if JT can even replace the hole in the offence left by JVR. Most have sad all along, one of those 3 kids will have to be dangled to get a 1-2 RHD.
Anyhow, Sid is awesome!!
It's funny but I can understand the excitement for Leaf fans. Habs have a worse team and this board was flipping out just at the chance to Tavares possibly signing here. Leafs were one of the top teams in the conference last year and now they added one of the top players in the league, so I get the excitement. The rant still funny though.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Whose the guy who does the Pillow ads?

More importantly, why does he have former wrestler Val Venis intro song playing in the background during his ad? lol
He has "fun with his pillow..every...single..night"
What is he selling exactly!?!?!?!?why is he sexualizing pillows!?!?!??
That doesn't make me want to buy them.

Reactions: 417

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the problem is that they each treat the station like their own playground.

Melnick with his constant 60's/70's music stuff. (which ties in with the old/shrinking english fan base). Gallow with his stupid my pillow, which is just shameless. And Tony shills everything and anything, or talks non stop about his kids and wife.
The My Pillow bit is not exclusive to 690. The TSN radio affliliate here in Vancouver does the same thing.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The My Pillow bit is not exclusive to 690. The TSN radio affliliate here in Vancouver does the same thing.

Does one of the hosts shill it though with their special code? I figure Gallow gets a referal bonus on everyone who puts in that code.

I guess its a unique way to advertise it but its annoying how Gallow sneaks it in. Oh Babcock had a rough game last night he will need mypillow.com. Oh Tony is being roasted he should go to mypillow.com and put in the promo code. etc....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And speaking as someone who got satellite radio a few months ago, I can safely say that terrestrial radio is largely un-listenable in comparison, and not just because of the ads.

Curious to know what you listen to on XM and where you see the biggest difference in programming.

I've always listened to radio but now, I'm at wits end -- too many idiots on air with a low IQ and stupid mannerisms. I can't get past that stuff anymore.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

If you have to order that product, bypass Gallo. You can use the promo code that the company runs on its many ads or the one that they've attributed to CJAD, which is "MTL". This way Gallo and his pissant ads don't generate any revenue for him.

Reactions: scrubadam

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
If you have to order that product, bypass Gallo. You can use the promo code that the company runs on its many ads or the one that they've attributed to CJAD, which is "MTL". This way Gallo and his pissant ads don't generate any revenue for him.
The promo is literally exactly the same on every station, or on TV. You're not getting a deal . 100$ for two pillows and two travel pillows. That's the price. It's always the price.

I bought it a couple years ago when it first came out, and I was in the market for a new pillow. The pillow is a sack of cut-up foam. I don't find it better or worse really than any other pillow. It took a few nights to get used to, because your head sinks in the pillow, and it's really hot (temperature hot..not Gallo this pillow is so hot). My wife didn't like the pillow at all , and now I have two mypillows.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
My Pillow must spend more on advertising than manufacturing.

The founder/CEO, Mike Lindell, is a bit of a nutter. Crack addict turned tycoon.

Reactions: Runner77

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
The promo is literally exactly the same on every station, or on TV. You're not getting a deal . 100$ for two pillows and two travel pillows. That's the price. It's always the price.

I bought it a couple years ago when it first came out, and I was in the market for a new pillow. The pillow is a sack of cut-up foam. I don't find it better or worse really than any other pillow. It took a few nights to get used to, because your head sinks in the pillow, and it's really hot (temperature hot..not Gallo this pillow is so hot). My wife didn't like the pillow at all , and now I have two mypillows.

But....both sides of the pillow are the cool side of the pillow. Gallo would not lie to us!

Reactions: scrubadam

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I go to Ikea every few years and buy some big, heavy feather pillow for not much money. I’m not sure why I’d be compelled to buy pillows off a radio ad, but obviously people are.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
He has "fun with his pillow..every...single..night"
What is he selling exactly!?!?!?!?why is he sexualizing pillows!?!?!??
That doesn't make me want to buy them.
You know what doesn't make my want to buy a pillow? Looking up the stupid things on their website and finding out they want 100$ for 2 stinking pillows.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Given the jist from most of these complaints I'd say that the entire business is predicated on selling people a sack of crap with the promise of a full refund if found unsatisfactory then refusing to honor that promise when the customer inevitably wants a refund. Classic scam.
Sounds like a business plan a crack addict would come up with.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
all these my pillow jokes are too much. I can never listen to Gallow again the same way.

Totally classless to allow him to shill his referal link on the air and dress it up as part of segments. At least Simon has ads outside the show for his real estate business.

But I guess these guys gotta eat, can't survive off free hot dogs at the bell all year long.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tonight's the night for the Tony Marinaro Roast.

Do you really need a roast for a guy who is a caricature of himself and is a low hanging fruit every time he's on air?

At least there are proceeds from the non-event that are going to a good cause, so there's that.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
all these my pillow jokes are too much. I can never listen to Gallow again the same way.

Totally classless to allow him to shill his referal link on the air and dress it up as part of segments. At least Simon has ads outside the show for his real estate business.

But I guess these guys gotta eat, can't survive off free hot dogs at the bell all year long.

That’s the way the ads are purchased across the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad