TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I knew Irvin had a temper but had no idea he was such a despicable human being. He sure covered it well during public events. I too ended up meeting him at one of those sports fundraisers that used to be popular in those days. I managed a pic with Wayne Gretzky and another with both Irvin and Reusch and remember Irvin joking "you shouldn't be taking photos with us, we just do the reporting."

If anyone else had encounters or anecdotes about Dick Irvin or even Ron Reusch, please feel free to share.

Talk about completely full of themselves sportscasters, do you remember Jim Bay? He was a towering physical presence doing CBC sportscasts around the same time that Irvin was on CFCF doing sportscasts but was a complete ******* in public. The type of guy who was so full of himself, he felt that he was superior on account of being on TV.
I'm STILL trying to figure out how such an ugly guy like Reusch ever got a TV gig or how he ever convinced Suzanne Desautels to marry him. Love is blind, I guess.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
One thing about Tevan, his voice and mannerisms commanded attention. Listening now, I remember what I was thinking then -- I valued the time when he was on and was lucky enough to understand that he was special. He had the kind of wisdom that vastly outdistanced the world of sports and it was the little pearls that he'd throw in there, that added enjoyment. And then, he went ballistic and used soundtracks that were hilarious.

You realize you're in the face of greatness when you listen to him several years later and it doesn't sound dated. Too bad we don't have this kind of broadcaster any longer.

And this one ends with that infamous "Good Night" ditty by Shirley Temple. So many memories.

Advertisers used to love him because he wouldn't just do a 30 second read, he'd go on for 3 minutes and wax poetic about the sponsor.

I remember those spots he did for the Auberge Chomedey Inn, which was right next to Chenoy's. "You want a steak at 3 in the morning? They'll make you a steak!"

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm STILL trying to figure out how such an ugly guy like Reusch ever got a TV gig or how he ever convinced Suzanne Desautels to marry him. Love is blind, I guess.

I've wondered the same thing for years. He sure put those craters on his face to good use. Man, Desautels could have literally gotten anyone.

I think she remarried and sadly, her second marriage also failed.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
His "Dad's bagels" 'ads' were great. - "make sure not to buy any cinnamon & raisin bagels". lol. Sadly, Dad's Bagel shop went out of business a few years ago.
It's an oversaturated market. Besides, bagels achieved perfection right around the time they installed the oven at St. Viateur Bagels. And if the line-up is too long there it's just a short drive over to Fairmount Bagels. What more could one city need?

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
It's an oversaturated market. Besides, bagels achieved perfection right around the time they installed the oven at St. Viateur Bagels. And if the line-up is too long there it's just a short drive over to Fairmount Bagels. What more could one city need?
it was the only real bagel shop in NDG. there wasn't ever any need to drive anywhere, it was open 24x7.
nowaydays a short drive to Plateau might take 1+ hr - Mont Royal is closed for through traffic

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Advertisers used to love him because he wouldn't just do a 30 second read, he'd go on for 3 minutes and wax poetic about the sponsor.

I remember those spots he did for the Auberge Chomedey Inn, which was right next to Chenoy's. "You want a steak at 3 in the morning? They'll make you a steak!"

He used to be in sales for the longest time before he turned to broadcasting. He used to sneak in a lot of ads into his conversations by using any tangents he could hop on, suggested by those he had on air or just wandering off into his musings, as he often did.

I found the way he tried to sneak in ads into conversations, disingenuous and that took away from the flow and appeal of the show. However, there was so much more good than bad that I learned to accept this.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Marinaro losing it, called a emailer "an idiot". The email claimed that Marinaro was hoping for the Alouettes to fold and by ricochet it would favor the Impact.

Missing Sheed36, he'd be all over this by now.

:) I pretty much gave up on Marinaro's show especially for the summer the day he got ticked off about someone complaining about all the soccer talk and said he was gonna continue to "shove soccer down everyone's throats" whether they liked it or not. I was out that day but sometimes still tune in for Habs lunch @ noon at times.

Once hockey starts I'll be back listening again when he starts talking hockey but will continue to tune out for his soccer talk. I don't expect much out of the Habs next season but I'm ready for hockey to start again now so I can get back to posting more here again.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
:) I pretty much gave up on Marinaro's show especially for the summer the day he got ticked off about someone complaining about all the soccer talk and said he was gonna continue to "shove soccer down everyone's throats" whether they liked it or not. I was out that day but sometimes still tune in for Habs lunch @ noon at times.

Once hockey starts I'll be back listening again when he starts talking hockey but will continue to tune out for his soccer talk. I don't expect much out of the Habs next season but I'm ready for hockey to start again now so I can get back to posting more here again.

I was wondering where you had been. It's been a while we don't get to read you.

Thanks for chiming in. And I'm with you on Marinaro, he's doing more to antagonize than anything else.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I was wondering where you had been. It's been a while we don't get to read you.

Thanks for chiming in. And I'm with you on Marinaro, he's doing more to antagonize than anything else.

I just took a little break from anything Habs related after July 1st plus I'm still pissed that MB traded away Galchenyuk. Been reading more lately so I'll soon start posting more again soon. Hopefully you and everyone else here had a great summer. We just had our 2 days of summer in the part of NL where I live. :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I just took a little break from anything Habs related after July 1st plus I'm still pissed that MB traded away Galchenyuk. Been reading more lately so I'll soon start posting more again soon. Hopefully you and everyone else here had a great summer. We just had our 2 days of summer in the part of NL where I live. :)

We're going to have to find a way to get you out of there for the summer months. You can always go back later. :nod:

I'm just like you in terms of my disgust for the Galchenyuk deal. However, summer has never been better -- I can't recall such exceptional weather than this year. What a treat.

And since it's many years I don't live and die with what the Habs do, I'm more interested in what fellow fans have to say. Now that's entertainment. :D

Hopefully your summer was good too. Sorry to hear that it has ended ... you need more summer with the ownership and GM we have. :naughty:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I am getting center ice package this year, never had it before but I am getting it this year, I just have to watch talented teams, I cannot let the Montreal Bergevins steal the hockey life out of my body.

Reactions: sheed36

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am getting center ice package this year, never had it before but I am getting it this year, I just have to watch talented teams, I cannot let the Montreal Bergevins steal the hockey life out of my body.

I agree. You need to see 4 lines banging out there. :sarcasm:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Fairmont is a better bagel fresh, St. Viateur is a better bagel in a bag, but Dad's was a 24 hours institution in NDG.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
We're going to have to find a way to get you out of there for the summer months. You can always go back later. :nod:

I'm just like you in terms of my disgust for the Galchenyuk deal. However, summer has never been better -- I can't recall such exceptional weather than this year. What a treat.

And since it's many years I don't live and die with what the Habs do, I'm more interested in what fellow fans have to say. Now that's entertainment. :D

Hopefully your summer was good too. Sorry to hear that it has ended ... you need more summer with the ownership and GM we have. :naughty:

Truth.. :) Good to hear the weather has been exception in your area this summer.

I've had a great summer though despite the meh weather. So much fog around these parts this summer which is quite normal most years though so at least it was scorching hot like most places in Canada experienced this summer. Our summer usually starts around now for sunshine and lasts until around the end of October.

I've had my DSLR out a few times and captured some nice shots which is something I like to do when the weather is warmer so that was great. I'm ready for some hockey now though. Posting here is one the things I really enjoy doing during the hockey season. I've met some fantastic fellow Hab fans on this site yourself included. :thumbu:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Good idea. We need to try and salvage what little hockey life thats's left in our bodies after watching the listless on ice product at the Bell Centre the past few seasons.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Truth.. :) Good to hear the weather has been exception in your area this summer.

I've had a great summer though despite the meh weather. So much fog around these parts this summer which is quite normal most years though so at least it was scorching hot like most places in Canada experienced this summer. Our summer usually starts around now for sunshine and lasts until around the end of October.

I've had my DSLR out a few times and captured some nice shots which is something I like to do when the weather is warmer so that was great. I'm ready for some hockey now though. Posting here is one the things I really enjoy doing during the hockey season. I've met some fantastic fellow Hab fans on this site yourself included. :thumbu:

Feeling is mutual, my good friend. :cheers:

Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm truly humbled.

Good to have you back and always looking forward to your insights. Listening to 690 is not the same without your input.

And you're so much more patient and forgiving than I am when it comes to the Habs. Who knows if this is the year they take your patience to the limit. Frankly, if they break you as a fan, all hope is lost. :laugh:

Now, to get you back into the swing of things, here are the top gunslingers for starting the first thread on major Hab breaking news: sheed36 and Adam Michaels. Gentlemen, place your bets. :wg:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
@Laurentide
@Runner77
Thanks for the reminiscences of Tevan, Irvin, Reusch, and the sexy Suzanne. Starting to feel like we're the old guys spending our days on the porch, waxing on about the ol' days. At least we're old enough to remember what success tasted like. Today's Montreal suffers from terrible road conditions that mirror its current sports scene -- mismanaged, directionless, paralyzed. It'll change... eventually. Meanwhile, it's hard to work up real anger while in the backend of an awesome summer. I feel like I've been working from a Mexican resort the past two months.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Remember Don McGowan on TV, I believe it was CFCF? I think he was station manager and created his show Travel Travel.

The money in media must have been insane then. A local show (I think it was picked up by lots of CTV stations nationally) that aired on weekends. McGowan (and I think his wife, I can’t recall if she was an on air talent as well) would travel to places like Prague, Vail and Hong Kong. Lesser personalities like Lu Hanessian (reported paramour of Larry Walker) would get destinations like Burlington VT or Ottawa.

I know Melnick would get to go to the World Series in the early 80s just as a radio guy. The amount of fat in the budgets back then must make the modern media manager weep.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Remember Don McGowan on TV, I believe it was CFCF? I think he was station manager and created his show Travel Travel.

The money in media must have been insane then. A local show (I think it was picked up by lots of CTV stations nationally) that aired on weekends. McGowan (and I think his wife, I can’t recall if she was an on air talent as well) would travel to places like Prague, Vail and Hong Kong. Lesser personalities like Lu Hanessian (reported paramour of Larry Walker) would get destinations like Burlington VT or Ottawa.

I know Melnick would get to go to the World Series in the early 80s just as a radio guy. The amount of fat in the budgets back then must make the modern media manager weep.
Nowadays reporters from the Gazette like Pat Hickey have to drive themselves to Habs playoff road games as far away as Philadelphia.

When the Habs make the playoffs, of course.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Businesses will be very selective when hiring someone to design their marketing material, but often settle for bare competence when it comes to the content writing. My business involves both commercial design and writing, by the way, and it amazes me how owners are happy to pay for visual services, but need to be hit in the face by consequences before investing in an actual writer. To be fair, the grammatical typo you noticed could happen to anyone, but it's symptomatic of how we value what something looks like over how it reads.
That’s not a grammatical error. It’s a spelling error.

There is no excuse for it.

Last edited:

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Good idea. We need to try and salvage what little hockey life thats's left in our bodies after watching the listless on ice product at the Bell Centre the past few seasons.

To be honest Hockey has been a bit listless around the league nowadays what with the lack of physical play and rivalries. Shame about the lack of passion and fights.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Since the habs are expected and probably going to be bad .. It will be interesting and hilarious to see how much soccer talk Marinaro can squeeze and use the impact are a playoff team and habs suck argument
Then say Soccer popularity is growing.... Look at the stats ... They back me up ... Everyone HAS to love soccer or they are stupid people who hate goos things .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad