TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean people make mistakes all the time.
Who the hell is proofreading over there? And this is not the first time I've seen stupid typos like that on their website, not by a long shot. I think these things slip through because nobody there really knows how to spell. It's a damning indictment of the public school system, if nothing else. Obvious boners like this just make 690 look as amateurish as it often sounds.

Reactions: groovejuice

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
So I'm scrolling through the headlines on the TSN690 site when I see this:

"What will Max Domi's roll be with the Habs?" Not "role". Roll.

Shouldn't grade school English grammar be a prerequisite to be in charge of a media website?
Businesses will be very selective when hiring someone to design their marketing material, but often settle for bare competence when it comes to the content writing. My business involves both commercial design and writing, by the way, and it amazes me how owners are happy to pay for visual services, but need to be hit in the face by consequences before investing in an actual writer. To be fair, the grammatical typo you noticed could happen to anyone, but it's symptomatic of how we value what something looks like over how it reads.

Reactions: Laurentide

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The amateur soccer show is on since 10 AM this morning. This one's a doozy, kids getting sucker punched during soccer matches. This one kid yesterday apparently was knocked out cold for 30 minutes, an ambulance was called.

This is not only the lot of soccer. It happens in other amateur sports too and cooler heads are not prevailing on too many of these incidents. Has it gotten worse than say a decade or 20 years ago? If so, it's pretty sad. Getting kids to play in a team environment has a lot of benefits.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Businesses will be very selective when hiring someone to design their marketing material, but often settle for bare competence when it comes to the content writing. My business involves both commercial design and writing, by the way, and it amazes me how owners are happy to pay for visual services, but need to be hit in the face by consequences before investing in an actual writer. To be fair, the grammatical typo you noticed could happen to anyone, but it's symptomatic of how we value what something looks like over how it reads.
There's actually two errors at play: first, the guy who spelled it "roll" instead of "role". The second error was that nobody (and perhaps nobody is even employed by 690 to check) even saw the first error so that it could be corrected. Or maybe everybody who works there is so dumb that they actually think that spelling it "roll" was correct. I wouldn't put anything past them.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
People rely too much on spell checks and auto-correct. Not intelligent enough to distinguish between role and roll in the context it's used. Proof reading is the only way to catch these mistakes.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
oh snap! The grammar Naz........police are invading HF Habs!!!! Run!!!!!!!!!!!
:sarcasm:

I personally, would have issues working if we still had to hand write things without spell check.
1) I can't spell well.... and I am also lazy.... double negative
2) My writing is so bad that a few teachers thought I had a disability. Its like a doctors.... but worse. :(

I don't get doctor money either :(

Reactions: Runner77

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
People rely too much on spell checks and auto-correct. Not intelligent enough to distinguish between role and roll in the context it's used. Proof reading is the only way to catch these mistakes.

Could be, or it could be as simple as just making a grammatical mistake. I'm sure the author of that headline knows the difference between roll and role, but like Freudian slips, grammatical slip-ups still happen.

Hell, I have a BA in English and I make those kind of mistakes all the time. But you're right, a proofread should have caught that pretty easily.

Reactions: Runner77

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Isn't proofreading, one word? :wg:
You're arguing style now. There's no consensus here. You can find it written as one word, two words and even hyphenated. But "roll" and "role" mean completely different things and I'm not so sure that you can really make an error like that out of haste. You make an error like that when you don't have a clue about the correct spelling. I maintain that it is inexcusable to make an error in spelling a one syllable word when your job is to write on a commercial website. That's not a typo; the person just doesn't know the correct spelling of the word.

Reactions: bsl

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
The amateur soccer show is on since 10 AM this morning. This one's a doozy, kids getting sucker punched during soccer matches. This one kid yesterday apparently was knocked out cold for 30 minutes, an ambulance was called.

This is not only the lot of soccer. It happens in other amateur sports too and cooler heads are not prevailing on too many of these incidents. Has it gotten worse than say a decade or 20 years ago? If so, it's pretty sad. Getting kids to play in a team environment has a lot of benefits.

Tony is always on about this stuff. It has to be at least once a month that he goes on about incidents that happen during minor sports leagues (hockey usually, but sometimes soccer). If a parent of a young child is a regular listener they would probably never register their kid in sports thinking it's become Thunderdome. I've had kids in hockey, baseball and soccer and 99.9% of the parents and kids are great and cause no issues whatsoever. Yes, there are certainly issues and yes, they should be condemned and the league should crack down on it hard, no one reasonable is saying otherwise. I'd like to see more respect for referees, especially young ones, certainly. However, we don't need death by anecdote on the radio and the stoking of the outrage machine.

I'm not convinced it's any worse today than it was the past. It's like people complaining that modern NHL players don't have any respect for each other...then they pick up a book and read about the early history of the NHL and players like Sprague Cleghorn and others and suddenly it's...holy crap, it was pretty brutal back then.

Agree that the benefits of your kids playing sports vastly outweigh the negatives and the small chance that your kid will make the next segment on the Montreal Forum with Tony Marinaro.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Shouldn't grade school English grammar be a prerequisite to be in charge of a media website?

Maybe they meant it? Like, the players have a roll (sushi, taco, whatever) prepared for them on game days. And the big question is, what kind of roll will Max Domi ask for?

Reactions: Laurentide

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Maybe they meant it? Like, the players have a roll (sushi, taco, whatever) prepared for them on game days. And the big question is, what kind of roll will Max Domi ask for?

Best roll he can ask for is a cop barrel roll, like they teach in the police academy. Why ...

FDGxHDc.gif

Reactions: ArtPeur

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
This thread is for discussing the Montreal sports media. Keep the music talk in the music thread, and the political talk off the Habs' board entirely.

Thanks!

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

They're dazed and confused after receiving a promotional batch of Molson's new Cannabis beer, the aptly named, after hours upon hours of research from focus groups, the Cannabeer.

They just rolled with it

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad