TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
seriously, CKUT-FM, the community radio station of McGill University has more pros than TSN690. how pathetic is that?

When you think about it, most of those underaged or wannabe regulars at 690 have zero to say about life experiences or insider knowledge. They're basically reciting the internet and trying to sound authoritative as they're delivering it.

I'd do a Howard Hughes number on them if I had the means -- buy the business so I can fire these guys and replace them with trained actors who can read the internet on air, better and with more conviction than any of them.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
When you think about it, most of those underaged or wannabe regulars at 690 have zero to say about life experiences or insider knowledge. They're basically reciting the internet and trying to sound authoritative as they're delivering it.

I'd do a Howard Hughes number on them if I had the means -- buy the business so I can fire these guys and replace them with trained actors who can read the internet on air, better and with more conviction than any of them.

I think you're overspending if you go with actual, trained actors. You don't need that much professionalism to be better than those saps.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think you're overspending if you go with actual, trained actors. You don't need that much professionalism to be better than those saps.

You'd be surprised how many good actors are without work in Montreal. They can be had for the same or less than these wannabes on 690 are getting paid.

If you're going to read the internet on air, why not have it done by a professional voice? No thinking required.

Reactions: groovejuice

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Eller's role is no more key than Shaw's was in Chicago. Eller is also a marginal player who can be easily replaced. Pretty much any bottom six caliber forward falls into this category and Eller is among them.

The only other thing that Shaw and Eller have in common, aside from their complete irrelevance, is the fact that neither of them will win Cups in Montreal.
Somebody hasn't been watching the games....

Or reading the stats....

Or reading the box scores....

Or reading the articles...

Or maybe he's trolling.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
seriously, CKUT-FM, the community radio station of McGill University has more pros than TSN690. how pathetic is that?
I used to listen to the late night sports talk show on CFMB (which had a signal reach that could be measured more accurately in city blocks rather than kilometers) back in the late 80's. That's where former Habs play-by-play man and #metoo before #metoo was a thing poster boy Dino Sisto first got his broadcasting start. Melnick was on CJAD in the afternoons and Ted Tevan was on in the early evening. All of these shows were better than 690's current morning show.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I used to listen to TSN 690 off my phone in the morning during the season for the longest time. The morning show has become unlistenable since Elliott Price was let go and he went on to bigger and better things in Toronto.

McKenna, Starr, Tslikas, Gallo etc. are all terrible. Stammering around with arguably the worst voices on radio and with no opinion of value to offer other than mostly whining about the Habs and praising the ex Habs to contrast. Amateur hour on a daily basis has left me with no desire to listen which is fine by my wife in the mornings!

I’m not sure if it’s a generational thing but it’s turned into an amateur hour with no professionals anymore. If not for Melnick in the afternoon, the station should just fold. Once he goes, there’s no hope anymore as the children have taken over and they’re not anywhere near as good as the professionals they’re replacing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'll bet it is Adidas suit.

2bgc20.jpg

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Marinaro talks about basketball like it’s just come out of hiding. Guy is my age. So he missed Jordan, Bird, Magic, peak Lebron, amd a million exciting NCAA games. Now he is lecturing me about it.

None of the guys on 690 are sports people, they wouldn't be able to have an intelligent discussion about any sport. Marinaro does seem to have a scoop every now and then but most of the time it is gossip and innuendo he is peddling.

It's hilarious to me that they have all these Toronto guys on to talk about the Habs. They have one big league sports team and rely on out of market opinions for their team lol

I have stopped listening to them for awhile now, so much better sports content out there...

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Normally it would be a producer's job to remind the on-air host not to do something like that or to tell him that he was creating feedback or a distracting sound on the audio track. But the producers hired by 690 are as out to lunch as Nilan is. The difference is that unlike Nilan, these dopes supposedly went to broadcasting school to learn all this.

Broadcasting school: where you learn to be underemployed and to sound like a robot

Reactions: Laurentide

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah Patches looked real worn on that vid. Won't get any better next year as we don't have the set up guys he needs. MB needs to deal him out for his sake as well as ours.

On a sidenote, does anybody but him refer to himself as Pac man? I heard him once say that is the nickname he prefers.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Yeah Patches looked real worn on that vid. Won't get any better next year as we don't have the set up guys he needs. MB needs to deal him out for his sake as well as ours.

On a sidenote, does anybody but him refer to himself as Pac man? I heard him once say that is the nickname he prefers.

Is this a Costanza “T-Bone” situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad