TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Previous thread had run its course: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/tsn-690-other-montreal-sports-media-thread-iv.2192169/

And of course, smug Gallo was tooting his horn this afternoon about how he claims he's acting as the "middle ground" during the Habs's post-game show on 690, saying that the callers are usually either very pro-Habs or very anti-Habs, but not him, he's the arbitrer of common sense apparently.

The times I've listened to Gallo, he had a quick trigger, cutting off most callers who were critical of the Habs. Yeah, middle ground. I don't think so.

Reactions: Pickles and PaulD

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
RDS's 5 à 7 crowd were truly not impressed by Bergevin's presser. Ray Lalonde, for one, was very negative.

TheGame777

Jan 16, 2016
What did Lalonde say ? I do not have TV at home, so if someone could summarize what was said I would be grateful.

TheGame777

Jan 16, 2016
No one should be positive after that nonsense he spewed. Except for Brian Wilde because he’s become a sycophant.

From what a friend told me, Michel Langevin though it was the best press conference of Bergevin...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
RDS's 5 à 7 crowd were truly not impressed by Bergevin's presser. Ray Lalonde, for one, was very negative.

Ray Lalonde is one sharp observer. He's the one guy who can take any department in the Habs's organization and literally tear them to pieces. Thank God he's around or the 5 Cassettes gang would have to be quarantined thanks to their continued featuring of the likes of Le Baron Rouge and other assorted dinosaurs like Bert Raymond.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Previous thread had run its course: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/tsn-690-other-montreal-sports-media-thread-iv.2192169/

And of course, smug Gallo was tooting his horn this afternoon about how he claims he's acting as the "middle ground" during the Habs's post-game show on 690, saying that the callers are usually either very pro-Habs or very anti-Habs, but not him, he's the arbitrer of common sense apparently.

The times I've listened to Gallo, he had a quick trigger, cutting off most callers who were critical of the Habs. Yeah, middle ground. I don't think so.

Yeah I couldn't help but laugh when I heard his take on the negativity of Hab fans today. Whenever I heard him or Campbell post-game, they were extremely rude to callers and openly mocked them.

690 has really gone of a cliff besides Melnick's show and that's only due to Mitch's interviewing skills and his impressive list of regular guests excluding Pierre Mcguire

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah I couldn't help but laugh when I heard his take on the negativity of Hab fans today. Whenever I heard him or Campbell post-game, they were extremely rude to callers and openly mocked them.

690 has really gone of a cliff besides Melnick's show and that's only due to Mitch's interviewing skills and his impressive list of regular guests excluding Pierre Mcguire

I'm glad you heard that segment. I literally cringed. Gallo was just doing what he always does, trying to make himself look better than he is.

You correctly point out that him and Campbell are scathing, they don't respect their audience, have no patience or time for any views that go against their own. This is not what hosts are supposed to do. They have it all wrong -- it's not about them trying to prevail at all costs, on all callers.

Just let the callers speak. It's OK if they don't like the way the Habs are run or if they hate how the Habs played in any particular game. These fans have no vested interest, unlike Gallo and Campbell whose station has the Habs's broadcast rights. Gallo and Campbell are not the gatekeepers of the Habs's brand, but you wouldn't know it listening to the rank amateurs that they are.

Thank God no one is giving Gallo the codes to a nuclear arsenal. The guy's finger would be on the buttons, pronto. He's so damn pretentious, it's like he has knowledge from a supreme authority as to when a caller is no longer viable and "that's it, at that point, I knew I had to get rid of him." Too bad the station doesn't know that they should have gotten rid of Gallo a long time ago.

Last edited:

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
What did Lalonde say ? I do not have TV at home, so if someone could summarize what was said I would be grateful.
Said a lot, but mostly that Bergevin's message was not helping his boss' cause in selling tickets and creating excitement, that he should NEVER say that his team is middle of the road.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Said a lot, but mostly that Bergevin's message was not helping his boss' cause in selling tickets and creating excitement, that he should NEVER say that his team is middle of the road.
They have been creating excitement out of nothing with propaganda and 'glorious past' for years. I think even most clueless consumers started to notice that something is amiss.

Reactions: PaulD

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
I'm glad you heard that segment. I literally cringed. Gallo was just doing what he always does, trying to make himself look better than he is.

You correctly point out that him and Campbell are scathing, they don't respect their audience, have no patience or time for any views that go against their own. This is not what hosts are supposed to do. They have it all wrong -- it's not about them trying to prevail at all costs, on all callers.

Just let the callers speak. It's OK if they don't like the way the Habs are run or if they hate how the Habs played in any particular game. These fans have no vested interest, unlike Gallo and Campbell whose station has the Habs's broadcast rights. Gallo and Campbell are not the gatekeepers of the Habs's brand, but you wouldn't know it listening to the rank amateurs that they are.

Thank God no one is giving Gallo the codes to nuclear arsenal. The guy's finger would be on the buttons, pronto. He's so damn pretentious, it's like he has knowledge from a supreme authority as to when a caller is no longer viable and "that's it, at that point, I knew I had to get rid of him." Too bad the station doesn't know that they should have gotten rid of Gallo a long time ago.

It's hard to figure out how TSN690 decided these guys would make good radio personalities. I would put all the younger guys in the same boat too, Gallo, Campbell, Mckenna. I find they have nothing in the way of substance to their views or thoughts and they are so arrogant.

Reactions: PaulD

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's hard to figure out how TSN690 decided these guys would make good radio personalities. I would put all the younger guys in the same boat too, Gallo, Campbell, Mckenna. I find they have nothing in the way of substance to their views or thoughts and they are so arrogant.

Gallo and Campbell are the worst offenders in my view. Both of them started out as assistants and push-button guys in the production room and somehow, Melnick took a liking to them and had them progressively appear on his show, if I'm not mistaken. I can't figure out what he sees in them.

TheGame777

Jan 16, 2016

Thank you.

It is puzzling that he would say it like that. He isn't stupid enough to say that the team is elite, he would have looked like a fool. But atleast he could have said that the team is better than the result on the ice and that you're always a contender with a player like Price. This would have stopped a lot of questions and critics toward him.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
As long as Mario Tremblay, Ron Fournier and the likes (Jean Perron or Chris Nilan comes to mind) are somehow influential on the Mtl public scene, it's gonna be a shit show. These guys are awful, pretentious and slanderous towards the younger talent on the Habs. They got rid of Subban. They've been pushing to get rid of Galchenyuk Somehow, they have an audience, the same that's putting money in Molson's pockets, so the owners don't care. Bergevin's record is abysmal. But the media was happy he got rid of PK and they'll be happy when he gets rid of Galchenyuk. If I'm Chucky's agent, I'd sue the hell out of Tremblay. Just for the fun of it, here's a partial list of what Bergevin brought to the Habs: David Drewiske, Ryder (for Cole), Tokarski, Jason DeSantis, Scrivens, Lucas Lessio, Smith-Pelly, Bryan Allen, Tangradi, Parenteau, Steve Ott, Dwight King, Andreas Martinsen, Keegan Lowe, Nesterov, Jonathan Racine, Stefan Matteau, Victor Bartley, John Scott, Bryan Flynn, Nick Deslauriers, Shlemko, Benn, Davidson... But the media focuses on Galchenyuk??? Like they did with PK???

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Ron Fournier has become a salesman representative for the habs and his chums around the league.
Mario Tremblay is completly irrelevant and out of touch.

Fournier is all about propaganda when it comes to Habs, I strongly recommend any one to stop listening to him .

The only one that says things the way they are at the moment is Lajoie and to a lesser degree Marinaro. Lajoie however wants Therrien back and also took Therrien's side but also the organisation's when it came to Subban. He was promoting Pacioretty as a better choice for captaincy. However big kudos to Lajoie on 109.9 many of the people he was inviting were defending Subban.
I thnk if you want rationality Lajoie would be your best bet. Its obviously not perfect but its alot better than 690 and just 100x better than 98.5.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Ron Fournier has become a salesman representative for the habs and his chums around the league.
Mario Tremblay is completly irrelevant and out of touch.

Fournier is all about propaganda when it comes to Habs, I strongly recommend any one to stop listening to him .

The only one that says things the way they are at the moment is Lajoie and to a lesser degree Marinaro. Lajoie however wants Therrien back and also took Therrien's side but also the organisation's when it came to Subban. He was promoting Pacioretty as a better choice for captaincy. However big kudos to Lajoie on 109.9 many of the people he was inviting were defending Subban.
I thnk if you want rationality Lajoie would be your best bet. Its obviously not perfect but its alot better than 690 and just 100x better than 98.5.

Fournier is an idiot. I cant stand the guy. He once was giving a bunch a false information about the Habs statistics favoring the Habs, making them look better than their was.
I emailed him telling him he should do his research properly instead of throwing stuff left and right that are not accurate. He responded saying what was i talking about, hes been doing this for a long time and so on. And the thing his , it was something easy for everyone to find out.

Reactions: Runner77

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I enjoy Grant’s prospect insights, but am completely turned off by the way he goes after people that disagree with him. He’s Berkshire level.

He's been practically 100% wrong on his predictions from this summer.

Was basically saying the Habs would still be good, Leafs would drop off etc.

I know it's early but at some point point he has to own up to being wrong.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I enjoy Grant’s prospect insights, but am completely turned off by the way he goes after people that disagree with him. He’s Berkshire level.

At least Berkshire uses stats and data and generally limits his attacks to people that don't buy into it.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Not Montreal based, but related. ESPN taking shots at the Habs and Mario Tremblay and questioning the Russian player issue. We're becoming a joke.

Link here.

I wouldn't put too much stock in this. We're always a joke to other media. They go out of their way to disparage Montreal whenever possible. If the team gets 110 points, it's still the weaknesses we hear about.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
At least Berkshire uses stats and data and generally limits his attacks to people that don't buy into it.

The thing with Berkshire is he creates “subjective stats” to push an agenda.

ie “well Subban is the best defenceman in the league because he has the greatest completion percentage of neutral zone backhand passes when skating from side to side on Tuesday night games. Bergevin is dumb”

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The thing with Berkshire is he creates “subjective stats” to push an agenda.

ie “well Subban is the best defenceman in the league because he has the greatest completion percentage of neutral zone backhand passes when skating from side to side on Tuesday night games. Bergevin is dumb”

Do you actually have evidence of that? Not saying your wrong, but for your example, there is plenty of statistical evidence to suggest Subban is among the best defensemen in the NHL. Many people well versed in accruing and interpreting the latest tracking data and building stats rank him 2-5 in the NHL among D-men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad