TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah nothing better than watching 90+ minutes of scoreless "action".

I guess the Habs front office and coaching staff must be huge soccer fans, what with all those nil-nil and 1-nil games.

But there is so much "action". Look at that dive! Look at the guy, he almost died. A red card was pulled and he's miraculously cured! Praise the Lord!!!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
what do you guys expect? there is barely any hockey news this time of the year. they need to fill air time somehow. don't listen to those amatures if you do not want to be dissapointed. ;)

Sure, but we need material to post on HF too.

It's a trickle down effect. What else are WE going to talk about, huh? :wg:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
what do you guys expect? there is barely any hockey news this time of the year. they need to fill air time somehow. don't listen to those amatures if you do not want to be dissapointed. ;)
We here seem to have no trouble finding hockey-related things to talk about ad nauseum. Why doesn't 690 just do what all the French stations do: employ hacks like Ron Fournier, Jean Perron or Michel Villeneuve to start unsubstantiated rumors like the good old days of 110%?

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016

I don't mind the Soccer talk , I wont listen but I am not against it . People like Soccer , Baseball , basketball and I wont argue whats entertaining to individuals. Draft and stuff is coming up so that should be priority again .
My thing is the way Marinaro shoves soccer downs peoples throats and do random interviews and its obvious to everyone he is trying to get something for himself .
Then there is the insulting people if they dont like soccer and say they dont like nice things . Why go that far... all he needs to do is be a Sports host and talk about soccer but he needs to go on rants and insult people .

Other than that he can talk soccer , basketball , whaterver he wants but try to do it with respect at least .

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Pierre Mcguire wants the Habs to pick Tkachuk with their 3rd overall pick...I officially want no part of Brady Tkachuk now

Tkachuk could be a good player but it seems like if we dont pick Zadina it should be Kotkaniemi if we have to go off board to pick a need .
I want BPA but I dont see where Tkachuk over Zadina makes sense if Tkachuk is not a C

Reactions: habs73

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I didn't listen live but caught a bit of the replay after. Did McGuire say Tkachuk should have a 10-12 year career? If the Habs do end of drafting this guy I hope he lasts longer than that. :)

He said the same thing on tsn1200.

He think Tkachuk will have a long career. 10-12 years maybe longer.

He said Tkachuk is a "hockey player".. what does it even mean. They all have the potential to become very good hockey player.. maybe he meant a very complete player. That's all i can think of.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I don't mind the Soccer talk , I wont listen but I am not against it . People like Soccer , Baseball , basketball and I wont argue whats entertaining to individuals. Draft and stuff is coming up so that should be priority again .
My thing is the way Marinaro shoves soccer downs peoples throats and do random interviews and its obvious to everyone he is trying to get something for himself .
Then there is the insulting people if they dont like soccer and say they dont like nice things . Why go that far... all he needs to do is be a Sports host and talk about soccer but he needs to go on rants and insult people .

Other than that he can talk soccer , basketball , whaterver he wants but try to do it with respect at least .

I'm not against the soccer talk either and understand that there's more going on in the Montreal and world sports scene than just the Habs. It's his show and he can talk about whatever the hell he wants to talk about. If I don't like the subject I have the option to not listen same as the huge soccer fan who enjoys the soccer talk and dislikes all the Habs or hockey talk.

The issue for me is the same as yours which I bolded in your post. He openly said he was gonna continue to shove soccer down everyone's throats during his little hissy fit this morning and that's fine since again he can do whatever he wants since it's his show. I don't have to listen to it and I don't for the most part but I'm sure there are many who do listen.

His view and attitude towards those who don't care for the game of soccer and his insulting rants towards them is what turns me off more than anything and makes me dislike soccer even more. If you're trying to win non fans over to get them to watch and enjoy soccer Tony you need to change your approach and stop with the insulting and childish rants.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Pierre Mcguire wants the Habs to pick Tkachuk with their 3rd overall pick...I officially want no part of Brady Tkachuk now

Who let all these lunatics out of the asylum all of a sudden?

Tkachuk is the last player ranked in the top 10 that the Habs should be picking. Im f***ing disgusted even at the thought of that actually happening. The hype for this bloodline has honestly reached astronomical levels. Such an overhyped prospect.

I usually don't mind Pierre and actually enjoy listening to his segments on 690, but I'll be honest here... listening to that clip really made we want to punch him right in the face.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Just want the radio host, whoever it is, to respect his audience first and foremost. If it's entertaining to a majority of the listenership, go for it. I've listened to a lot of soccer content -- it's not my thing but understand that some or a lot of listeners are into it and I'm fine with it. So long as it's done in a professional manner and he doesn't ridicule his listeners over it.

Not liking soccer is also OK. And not spending most of the show on say soccer, over several days when there are big news in hockey, would also be a welcome move.

However, Marinaro is the type to shove stuff down people's throats and to blacklist whatever he doesn't like, so he's not exactly sensitive to what his audience wants.

Reactions: Pickles

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Who let all these lunatics out of the asylum all of a sudden?

Tkachuk is the last player ranked in the top 10 that the Habs should be picking. Im ****ing disgusted even at the thought of that actually happening. The hype for this bloodline has honestly reached astronomical levels. Such an overhyped prospect.

I usually don't mind Pierre and actually enjoy listening to his segments on 690, but I'll be honest here... listening to that clip really made we want to punch him right in the face.

Out of curiosity, how many live games of his have you watched?

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I enjoyed the following exchange from another thread, involving 417 and Laurentide and thought it would be on topic for this thread. Hoping you like it:

Pretty sad that Bob MacKenzie had to go on 690 this morning to deny that he linked Jack Johnson and the Montreal Canadiens

He's such a pissy pants

I hate disingenuous pundits. They get paid to spread rumors but they never want to commit to anything they say and always want to qualify every rumour they monger so as to have plausible deniability later on. It's like when McGuire says "I can't talk about..." whatever it is that he's been brought on air to talk about. Either name names or GTFO. If you see something, say something. Otherwise you are of zero use to the public who are seeking information. All you're doing is muddying the waters.

Of course, the reason why these guys won't ever name names is because if they did their sources would dry up. Fine by me. I'd rather not know anything than know that there was something that I didn't know and would probably never get to find out. So if you're an "insider" either use your status to tell us something real or stay inside and leave us "outsiders" the hell alone.

In Mckenzie's case it's simple: either Johnson is on Montreal's radar or he's not. If you can't or won't tell us what you know, go back to your palatial estate in Whitby and don't tell us anything.

I agree with that...I find it so annoying when McGuire says that.

He'll go out of his way to say "Well I heard this about a certain player, and sorry Mitch, I can't tell you the name of the player out of respect for the player and the team, but here's what I heard".

It's like GTFO here...

But as it relates to Bob MacKenzie today, this really wasn't his fault...he never linked the Habs and Jack Johnson, just some people decided to put things together on their own and then attach his name to it.

I experience the same level of disgust for these fence-sitters. If you can't name your source or take a definitive position, then GTFO.

And then you hear the same insiders who try and sound concerned about the Habs, pull the same stunt on other stations where they do their milk runs and essentially get paid for saying a whole lot of nothing while showing an inordinate amount of concern and care about the team that hails from the same area as the station they're being interviewed on.

It's a tired recipe but radio stations in the network are hungry for content and big name pundits. And when there is no content, they figure they have a big name on their show and it elevates their status with their audience, even if the insider is just recycling bunk. Nice gig if you can land it.

I'd like to know how one qualifies as an "insider" rather than just a regular media honk. Like this Peter Yannopoulos guy that does the NBA beat on Marinaro's show. What makes him an insider exactly? Here's his bio from LinkedIn. He was an assistant coach at UMass for one year and coached CEGEP before that. He's a self-proclaimed "insider" even though he has a day job working at the Apple store in Montreal.

Peter Yannopoulos - Senior Manager at Apple - Apple | LinkedIn

The only way this "insider" gets "inside" an NBA arena is if he buys a ticket first.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
I didn't listen live but caught a bit of the replay after. Did McGuire say Tkachuk should have a 10-12 year career? If the Habs do end of drafting this guy I hope he lasts longer than that. :)

Mitch did ask about the 'bloodlines' aspect to Tkachuk, making kind of an inference that if his name was fitzgerald would he get the same hype?

Mcguire wasn't too interested in going there.

Tkachuk definitely sounds like a player i would love to have on the habs, not at 3rd overall though. I want more, a potential elite player...

it stills pisses me off we didnt win the 2nd pick lol

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Mitch did ask about the 'bloodlines' aspect to Tkachuk, making kind of an inference that if his name was fitzgerald would he get the same hype?

Mcguire wasn't too interested in going there.

Tkachuk definitely sounds like a player i would love to have on the habs, not at 3rd overall though. I want more, a potential elite player...

it stills pisses me off we didnt win the 2nd pick lol

That's typical Pierre McGuire these days. Melnick will ask him about a certain player and Pierre won't say anything and give his typical that's not fair to the player or team involved so he says nothing. It's obvious he knows something when Melnick asks these questions and yet it's the same answer from him all the time. May as well not even have him on the air.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
With respect to insiders, I feel like they are all hurting for info these days. I think front offices have gone into a much tighter style of operations, and info is not traded or leaked the way it once was. It may be a backlash to social media, it may be the influence of younger decision makers. Bob M sounds tired.

As for Marinaro, I will reiterate what I’ve said before. I’m 47. I have a fully formed opinion on soccer.

I know it is the most popular sport in the world. That is irrelevant to my personal enjoyment. I don’t care whether a book/song/food has wide acceptance. I either like it or I don’t. Telling me I am missing out doesn’t matter. I will watch high school rugby over World Cup soccer any day of the week.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Out of curiosity, how many live games of his have you watched?

17 or 18. Mostly U18 and U20 games where I wasn't specifically watching just for him obviously, but I did watch 3 or 4 BU games between December and February when it was clear that the Habs were a total tire fire and that Tkachuk would be picked in the top 10.

It's not enough to know the player inside out, but I think it's enough to formulate a solid opinion.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
With respect to insiders, I feel like they are all hurting for info these days. I think front offices have gone into a much tighter style of operations, and info is not traded or leaked the way it once was. It may be a backlash to social media, it may be the influence of younger decision makers. Bob M sounds tired.

As for Marinaro, I will reiterate what I’ve said before. I’m 47. I have a fully formed opinion on soccer.

I know it is the most popular sport in the world. That is irrelevant to my personal enjoyment. I don’t care whether a book/song/food has wide acceptance. I either like it or I don’t. Telling me I am missing out doesn’t matter. I will watch high school rugby over World Cup soccer any day of the week.

I share the same opinion you do about soccer. This morning Marinaro's show was spent on a player dealing with major health issues after his hockey career was done. I believe it was Nick Boynton. And then back to the Limp Act. And if that wasn't enough, 690 is pre-empting its regular programming to air the Russia opening wc game.

I was hoping for bit of draft coverage but since it ain't happening, I know what I'm not going to do.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I share the same opinion you do about soccer. This morning Marinaro's show was spent on a player dealing with major health issues after his hockey career was done. I believe it was Nick Boynton. And then back to the Limp Act. And if that wasn't enough, 690 is pre-empting its regular programming to air the Russia opening wc game.

I was hoping for bit of draft coverage but since it ain't happening, I know what I'm not going to do.

TSN2 is showing 4 rugby tests this weekend. Thank Christ. I’ll record that, soak up as much of the golf (Shinnecock is my favourite course) and watch my daughter play fastpitch. Also coach some flag football. My WC exposure will be nil.

Do you know that the rest of the world calls soccer “football”, and it is referred to as “the beautiful game”? I’ve only been told that 2000 times in the last 40 years.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
TSN2 is showing 4 rugby tests this weekend. Thank Christ. I’ll record that, soak up as much of the golf (Shinnecock is my favourite course) and watch my daughter play fastpitch. Also coach some flag football. My WC exposure will be nil.

Do you know that the rest of the world calls soccer “football”, and it is referred to as “the beautiful game”? I’ve only been told that 2000 times in the last 40 years.

Where are those damned vuvuzelas when you need them?

Let the diving and bad acting performances, begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad