True Believers Roll Call

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm all for bringing in 5 on 5 OT for 10 minutes(wouldn't be as exhausting as 3 on 3 so it could conceivably be played for 5 extra minutes without too much additional wear and tear on the top players) and calling it a tie if nobody has won at that point. I just hate the point system in general. The goal, to me, is to win the game and a regulation win should be just as important as an overtime win. You won the game, that's the goal. Regardless how long it takes, you won. I agree with you on the 3 v 3 thing that it's not really hockey, but I just hate the idea of teams being rewarded for losing, regardless how long or gimmicky the loss may be.

I agree completely, but the NHL has zero interest in regular season ties. Ties are unpopular, especially to an American audience.

I like the 3 point system mainly because I think it is the best system for a league that won't accept ties.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
There's believing we'd crawl out of an 11-point hole, and then there's "in our next 23 games, we're going to make up 11 points in the standings - and we're only going to be 6 games over .500 in that stretch" thinking that I think even optimistic people would have said was bullshit nonsense.

And yet, here we are.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
We've played much better, which I think many expected, but the teams we are competing with have mostly fallen apart, which is a welcome surprise. Next 3 games should reveal a lot about our team.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Yes we're making up ground in no small part due to the epic collapses of others.

But I thought at the beginning of the year the Blues were better than most of these teams. Yeah it took awhile to get going but this isn't a fluke. I don't think we're a first round jobber necessarily, you know, what Minnesota is every year.

I honestly believe this team can win a playoff round or two, especially if they fall into the Pacific side of the bracket

Reactions: CaliBlues710

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I also want the Pacific bracket if we end up as a wild card @Falco Lombardi

Calgary, San Jose, and Vegas..while very good teams themselves, don’t scare me as much as say Nashville or Winnipeg do. I said it before the season started, and I still think to this day...if we’re playing how we’re supposed to, there are very few teams I’m afraid of in a 7 game series. We’re gonna be a sleeper team if we make it.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
There's believing we'd crawl out of an 11-point hole, and then there's "in our next 23 games, we're going to make up 11 points in the standings - and we're only going to be 6 games over .500 in that stretch" thinking that I think even optimistic people would have said was bull**** nonsense.

And yet, here we are.

Maybe Armstrong hasn't trashed the team as much as you've been saying? You've been pretty dramatic about how much Armstrong has screwed up this team. What if we make the playoffs? This team is finally playing like they were expected to.

It's funny to go back and read connects from earlier in the season to see fans who think they had everything all figured out. That's why sports are fun, it's so unpredictable. Of course doesn't stop some fans from acting like they know everything.

Cheers to this thread! I'm sure there is plenty of room on the bandwagon for everyone who jumped off earlier this season!

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
By points percentage (and most likely point projection) the Blues are already in the wildcard spot. They would have to lose all 3 games in hand in regulation on Vancouver to not pass them, and surprise surprise, the Blues own the tiebreaker on them.

Reactions: Stealth JD

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
By points percentage (and most likely point projection) the Blues are already in the wildcard spot. They would have to lose all 3 games in hand in regulation on Vancouver to not pass them, and surprise surprise, the Blues own the tiebreaker on them.
Over confident you must not get, Jedi. One game at a time.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Over confident you must not get, Jedi. One game at a time.
It’s not overconfidence. It’s the most realistic projection to expect 3 points out of the 3 games in hand.

It just so happens the next 3 games are pretty tough. But I bet the Blues are up for some battles. My goal for them is to eke 3 points from the 3 games. I’d consider that a victory.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I am amazed. They have turned it around, but I'm more amazed that all the other teams around us have floundered. Dallas is only on pace for 93 points, and that's 3rd in the division, not even a wild card. We are still on pace for just 85 points though. Just a flukey year, no other way to put it.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I've always believed the Blues will win a Cup some year when no one thought they would, or they weren't expected to. I'm not making a prediction here, but what a crazy story that would be if this season turned into a serious run.

I'm just enjoying watching them play good hockey again, and the players looking like they're into it. I'm very curious what Berube's stock is with the organization, but he deserves a hell of a lot of credit for getting this team back with a chance to make the post-season.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Yes we're making up ground in no small part due to the epic collapses of others.

But I thought at the beginning of the year the Blues were better than most of these teams. Yeah it took awhile to get going but this isn't a fluke. I don't think we're a first round jobber necessarily, you know, what Minnesota is every year.

I honestly believe this team can win a playoff round or two, especially if they fall into the Pacific side of the bracket

No doubt. All basic stats and advanced stats show the Blues have been playing tremendous hockey for about 20 games.

A very talented roster has finally found its footing and is surging. It's exciting to watch!

Reactions: Falco Lombardi

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm in.

After last night, I have officially transitioned from "the playoffs are a reasonable hope" to " I expect this team to make the playoffs."

We have been playing very well for almost 2 full months now, are consistently outshooting teams and have gotten lucky that the Conference has imploded around us. Realistically, we should still be 5-6 points out of a playoff spot based on our play and needing a lot of bounces to continue climbing back in it. However, this garbage conference opened the door wide open and now we don't need to drastically outplay anyone. We just need to slightly outplay this pack of teams that have been struggling to a hilarious degree.

No one in the West scares me to the point that I feel a 7 game series is wholly insurmountable. I'd give us very long odds against the Jets, but there are enough questions about Calgary and San Jose (especially in net) that I'm not scared to play either. I view us as underdogs for sure, but not so much that I'd pick the other team in pen. I see cracks in Nashville. I have no idea which Rinne will show up in the playoffs and they just made themselves slower in an effort to bring in leadership/grit/experience/depth. They've been an average-looking team for a couple months now and they've already lost more regulation home games than they did all last season. I know the playoffs are a different atmosphere, but I don't think anyone will be scared to play in Nashville like they were 2 years ago. Take game 1 in their building and I think you win the series.

No one else scares me in the slightest. I'd bet even money on a 7 round series against any of the Stars, Wild, Knights or any of the other bubble teams.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
No doubt. All basic stats and advanced stats show the Blues have been playing tremendous hockey for about 20 games.

A very talented roster has finally found its footing and is surging. It's exciting to watch!
Yeah I think the early season struggles had a lot to do with all of the new faces on the roster. Give them a little time to mesh and the results are better.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I'm not gonna lie, I was close to joining the tank a couple of times, but I didn't. I never felt as though we were completely out of it. We always had games in hand, we'd win just the right amount of games, or the teams around us would lose just enough for me to hold onto hope.

What a weird season this has been.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Maybe Armstrong hasn't trashed the team as much as you've been saying? You've been pretty dramatic about how much Armstrong has screwed up this team. What if we make the playoffs? This team is finally playing like they were expected to.
Let's be honest: for all the "things are coming together" talk, this team is riding a rookie goalie who got shoved back into the minors this fall on a minimum-salary deal despite a 2.06 GAA, .925 SV% in the AHL last season, because DA was more interested in lobbing $1.75 million on the first day of free agency at a mediocre journeyman backup to help boost Allen's confidence in being the #1 guy than he was creating a competition in training camp for the backup spot and finding out whether either of the two younger goalies he had could maybe cut it in the NHL and maybe even give Allen a push for the #1 spot.

That's considered doing a great job as a GM? Please. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the Blues are playing better, but let's not confuse "our team was largely shit until we plugged in a long-ignored prospect out of near desperation because our 'veteran' backup shit the crease and our oft-touted #1 still can't get his head out of his ass consistently, especially at home" with "our team is fantastic because our GM made great moves." And for the "we're on the playoffs" talk, we're still on pace for ... about 91 points. That would represent a 5th consecutive year of decline in the standings, and a playoff spot gained because most of the West collectively went into the toilet. Take it when everyone else gives it, but that's not some sign of genius work by Doug Armstrong; that's a shitload of luck.

Reactions: Brian39

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Let's be honest: for all the "things are coming together" talk, this team is riding a rookie goalie who got shoved back into the minors this fall on a minimum-salary deal despite a 2.06 GAA, .925 SV% in the AHL last season, because DA was more interested in lobbing $1.75 million on the first day of free agency at a mediocre journeyman backup to help boost Allen's confidence in being the #1 guy than he was creating a competition in training camp for the backup spot and finding out whether either of the two younger goalies he had could maybe cut it in the NHL and maybe even give Allen a push for the #1 spot.

That's considered doing a great job as a GM? Please. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the Blues are playing better, but let's not confuse "our team was largely **** until we plugged in a long-ignored prospect out of near desperation because our 'veteran' backup **** the crease and our oft-touted #1 still can't get his head out of his ass consistently, especially at home" with "our team is fantastic because our GM made great moves." And for the "we're on the playoffs" talk, we're still on pace for ... about 91 points. That would represent a 5th consecutive year of decline in the standings, and a playoff spot gained because most of the West collectively went into the toilet. Take it when everyone else gives it, but that's not some sign of genius work by Doug Armstrong; that's a ****load of luck.

Armstrong has mismanaged goaltending and coaching for years. The rest of the lineup is one of the better ones in the league and is playing like it.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

That's considered doing a great job as a GM? Please. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the Blues are playing better, but let's not confuse "our team was largely **** until we plugged in a long-ignored prospect out of near desperation because our 'veteran' backup **** the crease and our oft-touted #1 still can't get his head out of his ass consistently, especially at home" with "our team is fantastic because our GM made great moves." And for the "we're on the playoffs" talk, we're still on pace for ... about 91 points. That would represent a 5th consecutive year of decline in the standings, and a playoff spot gained because most of the West collectively went into the toilet. Take it when everyone else gives it, but that's not some sign of genius work by Doug Armstrong; that's a ****load of luck.
I think you have a lot of good points, but you're being disingenuous or simply wrong with this take. Before the season, Armstrong cited wanting a favorable situation for Husso to come up as the reason he went for a veteran back-up with a 1-year contract. Something that would not be a longer commitment and would be easy to move, was the implication. I think we all (and he) would agree that Chad Johnson was not expected to be the best player available. But Armstrong thought the Blues likely had the answer in house, in Husso. Well, turn the calendar and its actually Binnington that earned that opportunity.

I think the plan all along was to bury Chad Johnson in the minors (unless his play prevented it) and bring up an AHL guy this season. They certainly didn't waste much time pulling the trigger to bring up Binnington and being willing to "risk" losing Johnson to waivers.

You're describing a scenario where the Blues bring in a 1B guy to compete with Allen, but also stunting the AHL prospects. We'd have another Bishop situation: a guy that is probably ready but nowhere to play. If they'd gone that route, re-signing Hutton for a multi-year deal would have been the way to go. But we'd still have no answers about what the AHL guys could do.

Anyway, I don't see how signing Chad Johnson was for Allen's benefit.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

Trades a 1st and scraps for a legit 1st line center with 5 years of control on a good cap hit, but your analysis of DA focuses on a one year deal for a backup goalie who isn't even with the team any more?

Reactions: Brian39

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
This year is the polar opposite to last year. Roll with it
This is definitely new territory for this team. Starting hot out of the gate and hitting a wall down the stretch and trying to regain their form down the stretch has been this teams mantra for several years now. Having to face adversity in the early going and hearing the whispers of negativity swirling around for the first 3 and a half months has hopefully given this group more of a spine and thicker blood than they might have had if they came out lighting up the standings from the jump.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

If it was Husso who had come up instead of Binnington, would you feel differently?

Because Chad Johnson was signed, not with Jake Allen in mind, but with Ville Husso.

The hope was that Allen would be the guy, but if he wasn't, Chad Johnson would either A)step in B) be able to do away cheaply and let Husso come up.

The only thing that didn't come true was that it was the other goalie who came up.

Edit: @Stupendous Yappi just read your post saying basically this right before me lol. Well put

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad