True Believers Roll Call

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
Rereading this thread was entertaining. I think the Blues are going to mathematically clinch their playoff spot before this week is over. Pretty amazing.
Between your encouraging optimism to make the playoffs and Irish doing serious work on the near daily playoff updates, it's been hard picking a favorite thing about this board during the 2018-19 season. Truly a roller coaster of a year and for the most part it's been fun sharing it with everyone here hahaha

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Can we get lists of everyone who was a buyer and everyone who was a seller? :laugh:
Getting lists of posters to ridicule is not my schtick. There is someone else here for that sort of thing.

Anyway, I think we were all sellers at points.

But I'll just say this. I got to attend a Blues game in Dallas just before the winning streak. I had been feeling like things were on an up-turn, but seeing the way the team looked in warm-ups I gained a new confidence in them. The players were having fun! They looked loose and upbeat, smiling, but also with an intensity of confidence. To me it was a reflection of the confidence that Berube exudes, a kind of competent toughness. They looked like a 'good' team should look. When I saw that in the players, I felt a lot more optimism about how the rest of the year would go. It was less surprising when they went on a win streak (though nobody saw something quite that dominant happening).

Like all Blues fans, I'm afraid to hope too much about what the post-season can bring. But I'll be surprised if they don't win a round, and not surprised if they are in the conference finals. It would be such a great end to the story if this is the year they went to the SCF again. You couldn't write it any better than that.

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
I'm typically pretty negative about the team in just about all aspects. Glad I stayed positive and felt like if any team could make a turnaround, it would be this one with this roster.

Inb4 I had a negative post somewhere but forgot.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Its been very gratifying to watch the turn-around.

The Blues looked terrible in November. Allen couldn't stop the puck on a consistent basis and the team looked disorganized.

But in came Berube, and the Blues started to look better. Not instantly, but incrementally. Then, Binnington replaced Allen, and we were a competitive team.

Along the way, Bouwmeester became a valuable player again, Sundqvist surprised everyone, Barbashev became a contributor, Tarasenko got his game back. And here we are.

Only O'Reilly has been a force from the beginning, and what a trade! Kudos to Doug Armstrong.

Reactions: simon IC

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
To point a finger and laugh at anyone who didn't think the Blues would rally like they have ignores that historically, these kinds of runs are exceptionally rare. [Though we have seen more of them in recent years, which perhaps argues that statistical assumptions being used by everyone aren't as accurate as believed. Or, we just happen to be getting more exceptional events out of pure chance.]

Were things flipped and we were languishing in the basement and out of the playoff chase, I wouldn't point the finger and laugh at people who thought we would rally. There were great arguments for why we would [or would not] rally, and I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking the way they did.

At the end of the day, we're all pulling the same direction. [Right?] Let's focus on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: simon IC and LGB

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
9 points behind WC2, Oilers with 2 games at hand.

12 points behind WC1, Knights with 4 games at hand.

Definitely still possible. Blues win a few more games they blew and they're right there.
I am a pretty darn smart cookie. (From pg. 2)

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'll be the first to go on record. I still think this team can make the playoffs.

I didn't think so, but their recent play looks more steady. And that's WITHOUT Pietrangelo.

Like it or not, both Allen and Bouwmeester have been playing well. I had to rewind 3 times the other day when Bouwmeester made that spinarama assist.

This team looks like they're starting to gain some confidence and consistency.

But the main reason I think they can do it, is that the rest of the West has left the door open. Teams I thought were playoff caliber are fading (like Minnesota). I'm not convinced about Vegas. I do think Edmonton is a threat for the wildcard, but there are 2 spots available.

This thread is not an invitation for the cynical to ridicule us. I just want to see how long it takes for anyone else to get back on the bandwagon. I enjoy rooting for the Blues, and I wonder if I have any company.

If you want to talk about how bad they look, who they need to trade, or how idiotic fans are that still have faith in this team, please take it to pretty much any other thread...they're all full of those comments (including from me).

I don't know if Berube is a long-term solution for anything, but I do think his influence is starting to steady the ship a bit.
You nailed it.

Reactions: Vladdy the Impaler

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
You nailed it.
I misread the wildcard contenders, but not the fact that there were pretenders that were fading out. And no one saw Binnington coming. Remember after he got called up how long it took before he got his first start? I'd love to hear a more detailed account of what the management and coaches were thinking from the time they decided to cut Johnson, to calling up Binnington, to putting him in.

Reactions: Brockon

ChillWill1

Nov 28, 2017
This season has that 2012 Kings-esque feel to it. I would say the 08-09 season when we were dead last in January and got in a few days before the season ended but honestly this team is 10 times better than that 08-09 team that was iced out there like seriously our top scoring threat was Brad Boyes. I can see why we got swept by Vancouver, we couldn’t score 5 on 5 for sh*t :laugh:

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
This season has that 2012 Kings-esque feel to it. I would say the 08-09 season when we were dead last in January and got in a few days before the season ended but honestly this team is 10 times better than that 08-09 team that was iced out there like seriously our top scoring threat was Brad Boyes. I can see why we got swept by Vancouver, we couldn’t score 5 on 5 for sh*t :laugh:
I was kind of thinking of the Pengiun's season when they also fired their head coach, then won the Cup. All I know is, I don't see a team in the West that makes me think, "The Blues can make it until they have to play those guys." I could see this squad win a series against anyone. And if they make it to the SCF, I'll roll the dice against anyone (including Tampa).

I know the chances are they'll peter out, or an injury will derail the train and then they'll go down in the post-season, but one of these times those breaks are going to go in their favor and they'll break through.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I was kind of thinking of the Pengiun's season when they also fired their head coach, then won the Cup. All I know is, I don't see a team in the West that makes me think, "The Blues can make it until they have to play those guys." I could see this squad win a series against anyone. And if they make it to the SCF, I'll roll the dice against anyone (including Tampa).

I know the chances are they'll peter out, or an injury will derail the train and then they'll go down in the post-season, but one of these times those breaks are going to go in their favor and they'll break through.
That was more akin to when the Blues fired Hitch and Yeo took over and they went on a run. The Pens didn't keep falling after they got a new coach and hit rock bottom a month and a half after the firing before climing back into it like the Blues did this season.

Similarities sure but when Hitch was fired for Yeo is more relatable.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That was more akin to when the Blues fired Hitch and Yeo took over and they went on a run. The Pens didn't keep falling after they got a new coach and hit rock bottom a month and a half after the firing before climing back into it like the Blues did this season.

Similarities sure but when Hitch was fired for Yeo is more relatable.
When a team turns around immediately after firing the coach, it tells me the coach wasn't the issue as much as the team needing a shock to the system. Maybe they had tuned out the coach's message, but the message itself may not have been the problem.

But when it takes a few weeks to get back to playing good hockey (like when Berube took over) it tells me the players were being given a message that does not win games. Their systems were the problem to a larger degree.

When I watched that Penguin's team, it looked like their systems were a mess. I don't remember the details well enough to remember how quickly they started playing dominant hockey, but I find it hard to believe the suddenly were all better immediately after they made the change. I saw them in person a few weeks before that and they looked very disorganized.

Reactions: Shwabeal

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
This series is ours to lose. Look at what's happened to Tampa, they skated through the entire season without facing any adversity or major injuries or slumps to their top guys, and don't look equipped to deal with the game not going their way. One has to feel that the boys are going to pull together and not let this one slip through their fingers after all they had to endure to get to this point.

Reactions: TK 421

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah we pissed away an excellent opportunity last night but this team has already climbed mountains this year so we know they have it in them and more importantly so do the players. The part that really pissed me off was watching the Blues assert themselves when they wanted to. Where was that for most of the game?(Rhetorical)

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'm down by law with our boys, win, lose or whatever. I believe we got a real shot this year and refuse to buy into any negativity and we need to be together on that. Like Nelly says, We All We Got! Let's Go Blues!!

Reactions: shmotz

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I've decided that I'm going to be on my absolute best behavior not only here, but in life as well. Try to do good deeds wherever possible.

Hopefully this can help conjure up some mojo for the boys. I'll be doing my part.

:yo: :yo: :yo: Go Blues!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I've decided that I'm going to be on my absolute best behavior not only here, but in life as well. Try to do good deeds wherever possible.

Hopefully this can help conjure up some mojo for the boys. I'll be doing my part.

:yo: :yo: :yo: Go Blues!
Good, you’ve really been acting up lately. I already had to talk to an admin about the amount of profanity you’ve spewed.

Reactions: shmotz

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
There are only 3 teams left playing hockey, and the Blues are one of them. It’s been a pleasure to see this unfold. I think they’ve got more juice left in the tank. How long can this dream survive?
This team has something I haven’t seen in a Blues team....
Confidence? Resolve? Belief?

Hope they keep going.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad