True Believers Roll Call

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'll be the first to go on record. I still think this team can make the playoffs.

I didn't think so, but their recent play looks more steady. And that's WITHOUT Pietrangelo.

Like it or not, both Allen and Bouwmeester have been playing well. I had to rewind 3 times the other day when Bouwmeester made that spinarama assist.

This team looks like they're starting to gain some confidence and consistency.

But the main reason I think they can do it, is that the rest of the West has left the door open. Teams I thought were playoff caliber are fading (like Minnesota). I'm not convinced about Vegas. I do think Edmonton is a threat for the wildcard, but there are 2 spots available.

This thread is not an invitation for the cynical to ridicule us. I just want to see how long it takes for anyone else to get back on the bandwagon. I enjoy rooting for the Blues, and I wonder if I have any company.

If you want to talk about how bad they look, who they need to trade, or how idiotic fans are that still have faith in this team, please take it to pretty much any other thread...they're all full of those comments (including from me).

I don't know if Berube is a long-term solution for anything, but I do think his influence is starting to steady the ship a bit.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I keep going back and forth after every game. The blowout losses are deflating but the team comes out the next night and bring their A game.

I'll still believe there's a chance until mathematically there isn't.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I still have tickets to 7 more games so I would prefer that they play some good hockey. I just don't see them playing consistently enough to make the playoffs. Just when you think they may turn the corner they play like complete trash. I'm still hoping they win some games though.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I never left the playoff bandwagon and at no point did I jump on the tank train. I thought about it, especially after the 6-1 loss against Arizona, but I'm still rooting for wins. The only time I was rooting to lose were games where there was a chance Yeo would be fired afterwards, especially the LA game, because losing short-term would help us win long-term.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
tenor.gif

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I need to see a 3 game winning streak. If they can manage that, they'll really only be 3 points out. They don't have to do anything superhuman to make up 3 points on the field other than be an actual playoff caliber team.

Edmonton and Vegas in the last spots are +4 points over games played. The Blues are -2 points under games played. But the Blues have played 3 and 4 less games than those teams. As I said, a 3 game winning streak puts them close enough to be a realistic goal. Forget the 95 points projections and just look at the competition. Other teams around the conference are faltering.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
If they win the last 2 of this trip and get over the mental block of not being able to string together 3 in a row I will start to have some hope again. Winning four point swings against division opponents going forward will tell a lot as well. As much as a tank seems like a solution, playoff revenue is a better option, even if it's only 2 or 3 games worth.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It's not unreasonable. This team is capable of a 6- or 7-game winning streak. And that's exactly what they'd need in order to give them even the slightest chance of making a playoff push. They're 9 points back now, with games in hand on everyone in front of them. 91 points may just be enough to win the WC2 in the West. So they'd need to get to '9 more Wins than regulation Losses', by year end to have a shot. Currently 2 games under. Need +11 over the next 50. I think they can do it...so long as they stop losing in regulation.

They're at 15 regulation losses. No team in the West has fewer than 10, so they're not out of the race by any stretch of the imagination. I think they're starting to figure things out, but in reality the runway needed to be much longer than the front office anticipated after an off-season of massive turn-over.

Last edited:

Johnny Crossbar

Jul 4, 2018
Springfield, MO
I have been a fan since 1985, rarely have we seen a start so confusing, so dramatic. However, a team can catch fire and make a run. I agree that I would feel more confident if a 3 or 4 game win streak would happen. And it may. We need a big streak, a long one but we could do it. LGB!

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Before I get off my tank for Hughes seat, I'd like to see them go on at least a 3 game streak and show they can win at home consistently. Until then, I'll stay off this thread. LOL.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I will declare my allegiance to team tank, but would gladly eat a nice helping of crow if they find a way to make it in. I still really doubt it.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
You should have put up a poll. Blues have what, a 7% chance according to Vegas???

If it’s an option the play would be betting all your vcash against them making the playoffs.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
I threw in the towel after the last game they played against Vancouver. Beating them on their home ice would show they are turning the corner in my eyes. They cannot worry about who is leaving the door open and such. If the Blues take care of business in most of their games they will make the playoffs, if they don't they will not. It's really that simple. They have to realize the playoffs really start now for them. Due to losses to Western conference teams like Chicago three times, Minnesota twice, Vancouver, Arizona and Anaheim they need to play exceptional hockey, especially against the West to make it happen. Their play against the elite teams of the league gives a lot of room for hope however. I think that they can still make it. I am with you man.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
You should have put up a poll. Blues have what, a 7% chance according to Vegas???

If it’s an option the play would be betting all your vcash against them making the playoffs.
Based on those implied odds, the offered return for the bet wouldn't really be worth it, IMO.

I'd rather have the other side, though I wouldn't place a large wager on it. There's still untapped upside in this season that I think current projections would be undercutting, and the risk/reward ratio is far more favorable.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Lakewood

Nov 17, 2013
It’s both encouraging and disconcerting that our road record is so favorable. For making the playoffs, team cohesion and Allen the heavy road schedule is in our favor.

However this is whacked.

We never knows what goes on behind the scenes, but this group needs to come together. Like others have said, losing brodziak, berglund... have disrupted some of the inconsisties in our defense. Combined w cumulative slumps, age of core players, a bewildering defensive scheme and some individual efforts making it hard to play a full 60 we are sort of a perfect storm of fragility.

We need unexpected role players to emerge and lead, and for our stars to excel as well as consistently average goaltending. I actually think this is possible and we could challenge for a wildcard. Unlike others I hope we are competitive and don’t tank. Not the blues way. History of pride may not include the cup, but home effort and competitive spirit is always there. Well, I hope so.

Reactions: cardinalnation

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->