Player Discussion Troy Stecher, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think he's been quietly very good this season after a somewhat questionable campaign last year.
His skill, effort and positioning are all there. He does have significant trouble staying on guys down low, especially late in games when his energy flags a bit, and I think he always will. He just isn't strong enough to push them off the puck, although he shows up at the right time and place and stays between his man and the net. I think is and will remain a good bottom-pairing defenceman.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
His skill, effort and positioning are all there. He does have significant trouble staying on guys down low, especially late in games when his energy flags a bit, and I think he always will. He just isn't strong enough to push them off the puck, although he shows up at the right time and place and stays between his man and the net. I think is and will remain a good bottom-pairing defenceman.
I’m surprised he doesn’t get PP time. Figured you get more from him than Pouliot.

He is a smaller Dman. Hughes is around the same size. See how he handles players down low when he arrives.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I’m surprised he doesn’t get PP time. Figured you get more from him than Pouliot.

He is a smaller Dman. Hughes is around the same size. See how he handles players down low when he arrives.
I agree. Pouliot does not look comfortable at all holding the line on the PP. When he gets the puck he's immediately pressured and I don't think I've ever seen him take advantage of that and break down the defender.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Would it be out of line to revive this thread in light of the recent signings (Edler, Myers) to discuss what Stecher's next contract has the potential to look like?

Spurgeon is a comparable imo and he got >$5m a few seasons ago with similar production. If Stecher can remain steady or even improve even marginally he will be looking at >$5m too.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Would it be out of line to revive this thread in light of the recent signings (Edler, Myers) to discuss what Stecher's next contract has the potential to look like?

Spurgeon is a comparable imo and he got >$5m a few seasons ago with similar production. If Stecher can remain steady or even improve even marginally he will be looking at >$5m too.
I love Stecher. Probably my second favorite player on the team this past season. He has to improve that slapper before he gets $5 million-plus or even thinks about it.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
radio has been saying that stecher might be a odd man out? playing 3rd pairing with benn. with no pp or pk time. does he have to work his way up to the top pair again.? edler and him were solid last year. but with the recent additions added. his mins have been cut down significantly.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
radio has been saying that stecher might be a odd man out? playing 3rd pairing with benn. with no pp or pk time. does he have to work his way up to the top pair again.? edler and him were solid last year. but with the recent additions added. his mins have been cut down significantly.
WAY down

Reactions: David71

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Odd man out implies that he's about to exit the lineup. I don't think that's the case.

Reactions: David71

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Flip Stecher for a 1st rounder then use the pick to dump Eriksson. Call up Juolevi or Rafferty if Olli isn’t ready. Who says no?

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Flip Stecher for a 1st rounder then use the pick to dump Eriksson. Call up Juolevi or Rafferty if Olli isn’t ready. Who says no?
Me. I don’t think we’re in a position to have to give up a good asset to get rid of that contract. Injuries will hit and Stecher will do more this season. It a marathon, not a sprint. And none of those guys you mentioned are ready

Reactions: vanuck

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda

Who is going to give up a 1st round pick for Stetcher?

Colin Miller is the last defensemen to go for pure picks and it was a 2nd and a 5th.
Justin Braun went for a 2nd and a 3rd.

Trouba went for a 1st and Poink.

Reactions: DL44

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Trading stecher after dumping biega for nothing and leaving our right side depth to Myers, the oft injured tanev, and a bushel of unproven rookies would be just par for the course for the management team.

In a season we're "going for it " too.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I like Troy Stecher, but this board and fanbase has overrated him heavily since he's been here almost solely IMO because he's a local player.

Ben Hutton was and is better.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's pretty funny how he's gone from doing a pretty good job as a 25 minute/game guy in the back half of last season to playing 10 minutes/game to start this season. Feel for the guy.

Same as Biega, it feels like they're victims of the BIG BLUES D WON THE CUP thing that Benning was spouting all summer, and that the team decided there was only room for 1 small defender on the roster.

The real stupidity of the situation is that he was doing a great job on the PK and has been removed from that while they do their best to wear Edler and Myers out playing massive minutes, and Myers isn't even any good on the PK.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Trading stecher after dumping biega for nothing and leaving our right side depth to Myers, the oft injured tanev, and a bushel of unproven rookies would be just par for the course for the management team.

In a season we're "going for it " too.

Probably need to trade him so we have room to add Tryamkin later this season. Don't think anyone would have a problem with that.

Myers-Tanev-Tryamkin-bushel of unproven rookies... I would take that.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I like Troy Stecher, but this board and fanbase has overrated him heavily since he's been here almost solely IMO because he's a local player.

I think personally *both* were never better than when they were paired up together (outside of the period where Hutton was with Hamhuis; at that likely was the case of the later carrying the rookie/sophmore).

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
It's pretty funny how he's gone from doing a pretty good job as a 25 minute/game guy in the back half of last season to playing 10 minutes/game to start this season. Feel for the guy.
Stecher is playing 14 minutes a game.

The real stupidity of the situation is that he was doing a great job on the PK and has been removed from that while they do their best to wear Edler and Myers out playing massive minutes, and Myers isn't even any good on the PK.
Myers is playing about 22 minutes a game, which is below average for a 1st pairing defenceman and slightly less than his career average.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Stecher is a 'comparable to Spurgeon?....uh no. Other than the size, that's about it for 'comparables"

member 290103

Completely disagree. If anything I think he gets underrated here because he’s a local player and people overlook his skill set because of it.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Probably need to trade him so we have room to add Tryamkin later this season. Don't think anyone would have a problem with that.

Myers-Tanev-Tryamkin-bushel of unproven rookies... I would take that.

Count me on the side of the ledger that doesn't think Tryamkin is coming back, but if he does I'd rather Stecher over tanev.

For what he lacks in defensive prowess he more then makes up for in durability. Plus unless things have changed hasn't it been an unspoken secret that tanev is gone once he hits free agency? Seems like not too long ago every radio host or reporter alluded to that being the case.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Stecher also is great friends with Boeser, and let's be honest here, we need every edge we can get to keep the young stars happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad