Player Discussion Troy Stecher, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I still have fairly high hopes for Stecher. It looked like he struggled a lot with bigger players last season, but you can clearly see that the compete level is there and there is some untapped offensive potential in his game. Hopefully, he can take a huge leap next season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Quinn Hughes signs and can play either the right and left side; and if Juolevi comes in and surprises at training camp; there's a logjam developing on the Canuck blueline. Obviously Gudbranson, Tanev, Del Zotto and Edler aren't going anywhere. And Biega has been re-upped as a depth d-man. That leaves Hutton, Pouliot and Stecher...not enough ice time for all of them.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Hughes Tanev
Edler del ZOtto
Juolevi Hutton
Biega Stecher

Sent the to moon:

Gudbranson

Waved:

Pouliot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not 100 percent certain, but on his entry-level deal can Stecher sent to Utica without having to clear waivers?....and there's no way they're waiving Pouliot or Hutton. Of course all this goes away if Hughes goes back to Michigan for another year and Juolevi lands in Utica, which is likely.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Not 100 percent certain, but on his entry-level deal can Stecher sent to Utica without having to clear waivers?....and there's no way they're waiving Pouliot or Hutton. Of course all this goes away if Hughes goes back to Michigan for another year and Juolevi lands in Utica, which is likely.

Stecher requires waivers. When he was signed he was 22 so it's either 3 years from signing date or 70 NHL games and he's passed the games played threshold.

ELC doesn't mean you're waiver exempt. Here's the very helpful FAQ on CapFriendly: Waivers FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I like Stecher a lot. 2 year bridge for Stecher makes sense. He would still be an RFA then. Otherwise, if you can lock him in for 4 years at Del Zotto money I would do that.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
MDZ and Gudbranson shouldn’t be in the same sentence.

MDZ looked like a competent 4D at times last season, whereas Gud was a tire fire.

I’m fine with MDZ at his term and cap hit.
By 4D did you mean as a fourth pairing because MDZ didn't come close to being a 4D even on the Canucks

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
By 4D did you mean as a fourth pairing because MDZ didn't come close to being a 4D even on the Canucks

Agree to disagree.

He had off nights. He was deployed as the team’s 1D for parts of the season and averaged over 20 minutes a night—he’s in over his head with those minutes against top lines.

I have no problem playing MDZ 15-17 minutes a night and paying him his salary and term.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Did I read in an earlier threat that MDZ 'looked like a competent 4D at times last season"?. Lol. Jason Botchford just went off on him on TSN 1040....said he was the worst d-man on the roster and has been a healthy scratch on every team he's ever played on, except in VanCity. Possession stats and shot suppression through the roof bad. Maybe he was playing too many minutes. But if you're looking for a waiver candidate, look no further than MDZ....not a chance in the world he'd ever be claimed.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I think Stecher is overrated. If you are that size you need to produce some points. The first few months of the seasons Stecher was 7th Ice time for D. Then injuries to Tanev and Gudbranson made Stecher played a lot more minutes. If Stecher was LS instead RS he probably gets some healthy scratches as well. Unless your elite defensively like Tanev, Green wants his D to put up points or be physical. Stecher is not any of them.

I don't quite understand why a lot fans are so high on Stecher. He is no more than a 5th/6th.

If I was GM I would call NJ and offer Stecher + _____ for Severson

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Stecher is a gamer and you can't fault his effort. But as I see it there isn't one thing that he's really outstanding at. Delivers little offense; often gets worn down in his own zone by bigger forecheckers and doesn't really rush the puck all that often....also really wondering whether there's room for two d-men like Stecher and Hughes on the same blueline?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Does Stecher take a step forward this year? Or have we seen his best already?
He will definitely improve.
Lots of room to improve in the consistency department.
Experience will improve his overall defensive reliability, and positioning.. and will improve his decision making, instinctual risk taking, when to be aggressive, etc etc..
But by how much? And when?

Management has to make a read on what his ceiling is, make a read on his likelihood of achieving it, and weighing whether he is a piece they want to commit to seeing on their roster long term or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad