Player Discussion Troy Stecher, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Kid likely gets sent to Utica at the end of the day.

Wouldn't be so bad as he will get use to the pro game and play lots of minutes.

That and he stays away from the crapfest this team likely will be this year.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
I would love nothing more than for him to beat out Larsen. Not that I am no fan of Larsen, it's just that Stecher plays smart. He plays big, and he is a damn good hockey player.

But if sent down he will benefit tremendously from 25 minutes and top PP time in Utica.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
even if he is sent down i doubt it'd be for long. Also, if someone else shows a bit maybe we can get an asset out of it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DL44 said:
Obviously Tanev wouldn't 'drag down' Hutton offensively any more than Gudbranson... figure i'd try some hyperbole.
Nor am I a Benning fan.

The WHOLE point.. get Edler into an offensive role... If Stecher is the partner for that, I would like to see it.
I don't care for Tanev's offensive game.. greatly appreciate his defense...
Would be more interested in seeing Edler-Stecher, Edler-Larsen before falling back to the more than capable, safe top pairing of Edler-Tanev.
Think it would benefit the depth of the D greatly if one of those pairings worked out

Gold to see you getting behind Hutton Tanev so Edler Stetcher can get more o zone starts with Guds-Larsen bringing up the rear.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I am honestly surprised by how his offensive plays have translated so far.

It's the one part of his game in college I had doubts it would transfer over. Even then, he wasn't really that big of a points scorer in college, only getting 29 points in 43 games. Still good production but it puts him 17th in P/GP among d-men on a team that won the championship.

If you watch the games that he played though you walk away way more impressed then looking at his statline though. I do wonder why that is. When you would watch him play in the NCAA you'd be like "there is no way this kid is not PPG" but then he only has .67PPG. Maybe it has to do with the fact UND's systems where more forward cycle oriented :dunno:

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
I am honestly surprised by how his offensive plays have translated so far.

It's the one part of his game in college I had doubts it would transfer over. Even then, he wasn't really that big of a points scorer in college, only getting 29 points in 43 games. Still good production but it puts him 17th in P/GP among d-men on a team that won the championship.

If you watch the games that he played though you walk away way more impressed then looking at his statline though. I do wonder why that is. When you would watch him play in the NCAA you'd be like "there is no way this kid is not PPG" but then he only has .67PPG. Maybe it has to do with the fact UND's systems where more forward cycle oriented :dunno:

Probably in a similar situation to Juolevi, where even if the D-man makes a good play, the forward line is so talented that by the time the puck goes in the next there's a good chance the three forwards are going to get points instead of the defense.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Probably in a similar situation to Juolevi, where even if the D-man makes a good play, the forward line is so talented that by the time the puck goes in the next there's a good chance the three forwards are going to get points instead of the defense.

Yeah, that's what I think is the situation was last year. But still, you'd expect such a good OFD to put up PPG in the NCAA

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Anyone think that next year this could be possible?

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Stecher
Tryamkin - Gudbranson
Pedan

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
who knows? Tryamkin Gudbranson looked really poor as a pair. i think there would be far better options to round out every pairing.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Important note: Stecher is awesome so far.

If it were up to me, he'd be on the opening night roster with the #1 PP slot on the point all cued up with his name on it.

Stecher > Larsen.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Juolevi will be on the team next year??

I think he will be too. Could have done the 9 game experience this year and wouldn't have looked to out of place. It wasn't possible due to the mass of depth D we have, and of course, Troy Stecher.

I see the lines playing out as,

Hutton Tanev
Edler Stecher
Juolevi Gudbransson

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
I think he will be too. Could have done the 9 game experience this year and wouldn't have looked to out of place. It wasn't possible due to the mass of depth D we have, and of course, Troy Stecher.

Hutton Tanev
Edler Stecher
Juolevi Gudbransson

Yeah, those pairings look great to me. I loved what I saw from Edler with Stecher, and wouldn't mind seeing them together in real NHL games to see if they can maintain it. Certainly looks better without Bartkowski, Weber, Biega, and Sbisa.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I do like the idea of Stecher and Edler playing together even this year. Rekindle Edlers offensive game.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

The trajectory for defensemen is not always so linear. While I would love it if he were truly ready for the NHL next season, I wouldn't be too upset if he had to start in Utica. The best thing would be if our defense was deep enough by next year that he could have a very good training camp but be a difficult decision to make the opening day roster.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

Hutton Tanev
Edler Stecher
Juolevi Gudbransson

Yeah so next year

Hutton(24) Tanev(27)
Edler(31) Stecher(23)
Juolevi(19) Gudbranson(25)

That's a strong d core for years to come

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd like Stecher to start the year in VanCity....he's earned it and easily been one of the top-six guys on the blueline....but even if the Canucks braintrust cops out and sends him to Utica, he'll be back in short order....he's better than both Larsen and Subban, and deserves to be in the NHL...but typically it'll probably take Willie and Jimbo 30 games or so to 'figure it out'.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
a lot of you are sleeping on jordan subban. if he has another good year in the ahl, he should be competiting for a roster spot next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->