Player Discussion Troy Stecher, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Nope. Tanev is one of the most effective defencemen in the league. Stetcher doesn't have the same defensive acumen.

Yah.. but he improved his edge and positioning during the course of the year... he doesn't have the thick legs or big shot that Ryan Ellis has... but Ryan Ellis is a 4 yr pro now (?). Just picturing what Stecher's trajectory could be..

What he did last year was quite impressive..

Trading Tanev really depends on Stecher's trajectory .. and to a lesser extent, whether Holm can make a seamless jump to the NHL.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
second year players take a "step back" almost entirely because they were outperforming the odds in their first year. stetcher was not, iirc

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Would Stecher be able to handle the heavy minutes IF Tanev is traded though?

I think the biggest moment that caught my eye from Stecher last year was when he got super choked when Anders Lee crosschecked him in the back multiple times... and he actually dropped his gloves to find Anders. That's the compete we need from him and the remaining 22 guys... (well, 20 because Sedins don't fight back).

THATS what you remember the most? jeez, i remember things like when he played ****ing hockey

what a weird, sad thing to fixate on

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
THATS what you remember the most? jeez, i remember things like when he played ****ing hockey

what a weird, sad thing to fixate on
Dang... I could write smth longer but I aint got time for that ****.. didn't know i'll be called out for just writing a tidbit.

I just found that part with Anders Lee interesting/strange cuz he's clearly not as strong as Lee.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
these posts sum it up pretty nicely. it doesnt exist as people want to use it

The sophomore slump is nonsense. If someone like Malkin has a down year next year no one attributes it to the dreaded 12th year slump. Good players have bad years which are sometimes their sophomore years. Conversely, bad players have good years, which are sometimes their rookies years.

Matt Duchene and Aaron Ekblad both had poor third years, are we going to talk about the 3rd year slump or does that lack punch because it doesn't alliterate?

Sophomore slump simply doesn't exist or at least is not common. The distribution of players who struggle in their sophomore year is no different than the random variation of players in any other year of their career. So, yes, players slump as sophomores but an equal amount of players struggle in their 3rd, 5th or 10th season.

I mean, there are really only 2 notable 2nd year players struggling in Larkin and Bennett, comapre that to the amount who took a step forward, and it seems like an overly talked about cliche.

for stecher, a guy who had extremely average luck and zero ESG in 85 shots? id be ****ing blown away if he had a real slump

It would be prudent to be patient, and not be completely caught off guard if he takes a small step back like many second-year defensemen do.

he had extremely average numbers. yeah, he could have an unlucky year, but i would expect his play to take a small to medium step forward

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The most common short-term regression we've seen is young, mobile defensemen. They always can transition to the NHL sooner because of their skating, but then eventually fall back to their expected spot. Hutton and Sbisa who did that, and Corrado was the same. I won't be surprised when Stecher isn't as good early next year. Just like I won't be surprised if Subban looks good for the first few months if he makes the team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For a guy who was signed as a college UFA and an undersized d-man, Stecher has already exceed expectations....started the season in Utica and ended up with Edler as the Canucks top d-pairing. I'd expect that's where he starts this season.

And I just don't see any regression on the horizon unless he gets hurt....just too driven and determined a kid to do any 'backsliding'.:handclap:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I could potentially see him backsliding in the sense that he might look abysmal when not paired with Edler.

He's exceeded expectations so far, but I think people have been too trigger-happy in declaring how good he currently is. It's still a big work in progress that simply looks promising right now rather than established.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I could potentially see him backsliding in the sense that he might look abysmal when not paired with Edler.

He's exceeded expectations so far, but I think people have been too trigger-happy in declaring how good he currently is. It's still a big work in progress that simply looks promising right now rather than established.

Yeah maybe. If i remember correctly he kinda slowed down and made more mistakes and couldnt get shots thru around the midpoint of the season. He kinda picked it up again towards the end. But is rookie so these things to be expected PLUS playing on such a crappy team has to ware a guy down

Could see a not as great season for him. Hopefully not hopefully starts right where he left off and continues to develop and get better

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Agreed.

He had a nice season, but I think most people here woefully underestimate the amount of heavy lifting that Edler did to make that pairing function.

To me, he's still a #5 defender right now. I am hopeful that he can significantly increase his PP contribution this year, though.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agreed.

He had a nice season, but I think most people here woefully underestimate the amount of heavy lifting that Edler did to make that pairing function.

To me, he's still a #5 defender right now. I am hopeful that he can significantly increase his PP contribution this year, though.
I've actually argued with multiple people who legitimately felt that Stecher was one of the few guys who carried the team on their backs while Edler was an outright liability last year. That kind of thing can destroy a man's sanity.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I've actually argued with multiple people who legitimately felt that Stecher was one of the few guys who carried the team on their backs while Edler was an outright liability last year. That kind of thing can destroy a man's sanity.

All it took was getting one of his shots blocked and it was enough to erase 23+ workhorse mins.

Stecher does a curl move and then stickiness.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, it's insane.

As the other post just above noted, Edler would play 23-24 outstanding minutes/game carrying his tiny rookie partner on his back ... and then have a bad PP shift where he hit some shinpads and everyone would decide he sucked.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I definitely think expectations should be limited. So often the start of a players 2nd year sees a drop off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad