Proposal: Trouba traded to Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
So what you're saying is:

1. He didn't want to be with his current team.

2. He had several teams he would play for.

3. One of those teams traded for him.

4. That team re-signed him before he hit free agency.

Thank you for proving my point. :thumbu:

Dammit...

Very good but my point was that by EK doing what he did it limited Ottawas return.

No top 6 picks, no top end prospects, no great young players

If Trouba really wants to play here then he will make it so

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He didnt sign with Ottawa

Reports were he wanted to play on west coast or tampa

He resigned in San jose and didnt care too see if Minnesota of New Jersey would offer him more money on July 1st
Nah, Melnyk wanted EK in the Western conference.

Same reason Hoffman was traded to the west and immediately traded to the east.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Karlsson signing today is why I don't want to wait around for free agency when it comes to Trouba or any valuable defender we have a legitimate chance to acquire via trade.

At what cost though?

Less or more than SJ did for EK?

We're a lottery team not a team with cup aspirations AND expectations

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
At what cost though?

Trouba won't be a run down 39 year old when we plan to be competitive. We can only pray that if our #1 D isn't in the system he'll be close to ready by then.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
fyi from Lebrun's Notebook LeBrun Notebook: San Jose’s patient approach with Erik...

Those “pending developments’’ that Barry mentioned above regarding the Jets is something else that required further attention. Surely, one of those developments is the Jacob Trouba situation, which will now play out quite differently due to the Karlsson signing. First, because whatever teams had Karlsson ahead of Trouba as an option must now focus harder on their trade efforts for the Jets blueliner. That should help Winnipeg extract a higher return in a trade.
Secondly, when it comes to Trouba’s next contract, well, the Karlsson signing has to impact the bottom line. Trouba’s not Karlsson, of course, but if you’re agent Kurt Overhardt you have to sit back and ask, how many million more a season is Karlsson worth? Teams trading for Trouba are going to want to know if they can sign him to an extension past next season before making their best offer.
By the way, my understanding as of Monday is that the Jets still haven’t given Overhardt permission to speak directly to teams on Trouba. At some point — closer to when a trade is consummated — one assumes that will be the case (unless Winnipeg attaches a conditional aspect to the deal, which would be the other way around it).
A selection of teams with interesting in Trouba includes the Rangers, Coyotes, Penguins and Flyers.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
At what cost though?

You stop being a lottery team by adding players like Trouba. And Trouba is only 25, so if our rebuild window is beyond his prime, that means we've been rebuilding for around 8 years and Yzerman has been fired. A dark timeline indeed.

He fills a need. He's the right age. And the odds the assets used to acquire him become a top pairing defender are slim. Trouba is the kind of guy that only gets traded when they are backed in a corner, exactly the situation unfolding in Winnipeg.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You stop being a lottery team by adding players like Trouba. And Trouba is only 25, so if our rebuild window is beyond his prime, that means we've been rebuilding for around 8 years and Yzerman has been fired. A dark timeline indeed.

He fills a need. He's the right age. And the odds the assets used to acquire him become a top pairing defender are slim. Trouba is the kind of guy that only gets traded when they are backed in a corner, exactly the situation unfolding in Winnipeg.

Man we're still a lottery team next year with or without trouba.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Man we're still a lottery team next year with or without trouba.

Bench is saying that the way you become a not lottery team is to make multiple moves in this vein. Not that Trouba makes us not a lottery team, but that you become a better team by getting better players. It's not rocket appliances. It is silly to say "nope, too much" at every opportunity to improve your team and then wonder why your team never gets any better. You don't go insane in dealing a bunch of guys, but at some point, you're going to have to make a move that involves trading away someone you probably wanted to keep.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Bench is saying that the way you become a not lottery team is to make multiple moves in this vein. Not that Trouba makes us not a lottery team, but that you become a better team by getting better players. It's not rocket appliances. It is silly to say "nope, too much" at every opportunity to improve your team and then wonder why your team never gets any better. You don't go insane in dealing a bunch of guys, but at some point, you're going to have to make a move that involves trading away someone you probably wanted to keep.

No the way that is proven to move out from being a lottery team is first to be a lottery team for a few years, stickpile picks upon picks then develop prospect after prospect and then add the missing niche pieces via trade and free agency

That's the order to do this.

You got fans saying to throw away the 6th or zadina or valeno and mantha, its absurd

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Karlsson news is really bad news for us. I think the Rangers can beat pretty much any package we can muster. It would have to be him unwilling to sign anywhere but Detroit which seems doubtful. Bummer as Trouba would have been massive for our turn around and climb out of the bottom of the standings. He slots those other D-man in a better order and fits the identity we have been building towards. You cannot give up the #6 pick but man I wish we had more than AA and second as our best stomachable offer.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
No the way that is proven to move out from being a lottery team is first to be a lottery team for a few years, stickpile picks upon picks then develop prospect after prospect and then add the missing niche pieces via trade and free agency

That's the order to do this.

You got fans saying to throw away the 6th or zadina or valeno and mantha, its absurd

There is no set order. That's the ****ing point. If there was a set order, we'd be having Toronto v. Edmonton for the next like six years. You get better by getting better players. They don't have to be lottery picks.

The way that is proven? There are as many teams mired in the lottery as there are teams who have built long term contenders out of the lottery.

What the hell do I care if I get Bowen Byram with 6OA or Jacob Trouba (if we were to trade 6OA for Trouba)? The way that is proven to get you out of being an awful team is to refocus your scouts (pro and amateur) at getting good hockey players. Teams like Edmonton suck at that and therefore remain garbage. Teams like Colorado or Carolina or NYI have tended to be pretty good, so they bounce pretty hard off the bottom of the league.

Reactions: wingfan

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Preach @Bench !

FlashyFloweryBats-size_restricted.gif

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
There is no set order. That's the ****ing point. If there was a set order, we'd be having Toronto v. Edmonton for the next like six years. You get better by getting better players. They don't have to be lottery picks.

The way that is proven? There are as many teams mired in the lottery as there are teams who have built long term contenders out of the lottery.

What the hell do I care if I get Bowen Byram with 6OA or Jacob Trouba (if we were to trade 6OA for Trouba)? The way that is proven to get you out of being an awful team is to refocus your scouts (pro and amateur) at getting good hockey players. Teams like Edmonton suck at that and therefore remain garbage. Teams like Colorado or Carolina or NYI have tended to be pretty good, so they bounce pretty hard off the bottom of the league.

This. 6OA at this point means nothing to me. The only picks I'm not trading for Trouba are 1/2. Anything other than that would absolutely be on the table. I don't care where the pick is, if we can leverage it to add a #1D, one of the major pieces that we're missing, that fits with the core of this team. How is that even debatable? Do I think we're still a lottery team next year? Probably. But we've got a piece that will age with the players that we want to build around and literally the one thing that almost every team in the league is looking for with the exception of a few. This isn't Karlsson who will be 33-35 by the time we're ready to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad