Proposal: Trouba traded to Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They are better off keeping Trouba and try to win a the Cup next season than dumping him for picks and prospects.

I think they'll get a center (Tyler Johnson, Athanasiou etc.) with Trouba, and then trade some lesser defencemen with Ehlers.

Two trades possibly coming.

Or,

Flyers could be after Trouba, they would have Gostisbehere/Sanheim (both ~4.5M, Sanheim still unsigned) + Hägg/Morin (700-800k guys) to give for. A bit lesser defencemen, but cheaper pricetag.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
you guys are acting like that's the sole move the Jets can do.

there are some RD trade candidates rumored to be available... ie: Hamonic, C. Miller, TJ Brodie (LHD that plays RD).

Hamonic would be a perfect fit on the top-pair with Morrissey for the Jets, even Brodie wouldn't be bad.

I think the return on Trouba would be greater than the cost to acquire any of those 3 Dmen too. Trouba is leaving in a year, i doubt the Jets want another Panairn/JT situation.

So what do you want them to do? Trade trouba and use the 2nds to use and trade for Brodie? So basically trouba for Brodie? That’s not an upgrade or even move , Get real, cost of trading for trouba now won’t be cheap and not worth it considering he’s very likely to be a ufa next year

Hamonic can’t even pop 20 pts a year , jets wouldn’t wanna lose trouba to replace him with hamonic, why’s it hard to believe they’d roll the dice and see how the year goes with trouba ? If for some reason the team suffers injuries and goes downhill they can always move him at the deadline and get a 1st , 2nd and a prospect likely considering he’d easily be the best dman available and good chance of being the best player available period

If the jets decide to move on it won’t be for picks and prospects who are years away from winning , wheeler and byfuglien are past 30 so they want to compete now for the cup not think about 2-3 years from now, and even for the wings I’ve read something like mike green and 2 2nds , I do believe green first of all has a no trade clause till around the trade deadline mark and again why give up all that for a guy who will most likely return home

It’s Detroit and 1,2 teams at the most , green also will likely fetch us a 1st next deadline unless he shits the bed, love trouba but I’m just gonna be patient (yzerman already knows if trouba will want to be a wing in 2020, teams aren’t allowed to tamper but it always happens )

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I think they'll get a center (Tyler Johnson, Athanasiou etc.) with Trouba, and then trade some lesser defencemen with Ehlers.

In what universe is Johnson waiving his NTC to go to Winnipeg?

I don't see Athanasiou being moved at all.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So what do you want them to do? Trade trouba and use the 2nds to use and trade for Brodie? So basically trouba for Brodie? That’s not an upgrade or even move , Get real, cost of trading for trouba now won’t be cheap and not worth it considering he’s very likely to be a ufa next year

Hamonic can’t even pop 20 pts a year , jets wouldn’t wanna lose trouba to replace him with hamonic, why’s it hard to believe they’d roll the dice and see how the year goes with trouba ? If for some reason the team suffers injuries and goes downhill they can always move him at the deadline and get a 1st , 2nd and a prospect likely considering he’d easily be the best dman available and good chance of being the best player available period

If the jets decide to move on it won’t be for picks and prospects who are years away from winning , wheeler and byfuglien are past 30 so they want to compete now for the cup not think about 2-3 years from now, and even for the wings I’ve read something like mike green and 2 2nds , I do believe green first of all has a no trade clause till around the trade deadline mark and again why give up all that for a guy who will most likely return home

It’s Detroit and 1,2 teams at the most , green also will likely fetch us a 1st next deadline unless he ****s the bed, love trouba but I’m just gonna be patient (yzerman already knows if trouba will want to be a wing in 2020, teams aren’t allowed to tamper but it always happens )

It's not basically trading Trouba for Brodie/Hamonic. It's trading Trouba+2nd for Hamonic/Brodie+whatever the return Trouba garners, which like you said won't be a small amount.

letting a player of Trouba's caliber walk for nothing is not good asset management. Trading him now and collecting futures while still replacing him with a capable top 4 RD would still give the Jets a chance to compete for the cup next season while re-stocking the cupboards. Look at how the Islanders were left with nothing for John Tavares.

you're judging Hamonic strictly on points? really? there's more to a Dman's value in just points. If Hamonic can score 25-30 points without lots of PP time that's good enough. He just would need to be solid defensively and let more of the offensive reigns be given to Morrissey. Both Morrissey & Buff would be the main offensive catalysts in the Jets top 4.

tell me what scenario you like better:

Scenario 1:
Trade Trouba for Mike Green + 2 2nds (im guessing the later ones)

Scenario 2: using the a example from this article by Murat Ates
Seven potential trade destinations for Jacob Trouba and what...
Just using ANH example

Trade Trouba for a 2019 1st (9th OA)+Mahura
Trade 2nd for Hamonic/Brodie

Id rather have scenario 2 from a Jets POV.

Also the Jets haven't won with Trouba thus far..... they've been a competitive team with him and I think the roster is still good enough to make the POs and be competitive even without him. Banking on his value right now and making a series of moves to help stay in contention (trade for Hamonic/Brodie) while restocking the pipeline might be a move Chevy entertains

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
It's not basically trading Trouba for Brodie/Hamonic. It's trading Trouba+2nd for Hamonic/Brodie+whatever the return Trouba garners, which like you said won't be a small amount.

letting a player of Trouba's caliber walk for nothing is not good asset management. Trading him now and collecting futures while still replacing him with a capable top 4 RD would still give the Jets a chance to compete for the cup next season while re-stocking the cupboards. Look at how the Islanders were left with nothing for John Tavares.

you're judging Hamonic strictly on points? really? there's more to a Dman's value in just points. If Hamonic can score 25-30 points without lots of PP time that's good enough. He just would need to be solid defensively and let more of the offensive reigns be given to Morrissey. Both Morrissey & Buff would be the main offensive catalysts in the Jets top 4.

tell me what scenario you like better:

Scenario 1:
Trade Trouba for Mike Green + 2 2nds (im guessing the later ones)

Scenario 2: using the a example from this article by Murat Ates
Seven potential trade destinations for Jacob Trouba and what...
Just using ANH example

Trade Trouba for a 2019 1st (9th OA)+Mahura
Trade 2nd for Hamonic/Brodie

Id rather have scenario 2 from a Jets POV.

Also the Jets haven't won with Trouba thus far..... they've been a competitive team with him and I think the roster is still good enough to make the POs and be competitive even without him. Banking on his value right now and making a series of moves to help stay in contention (trade for Hamonic/Brodie) while restocking the pipeline might be a move Chevy entertains

Trading trouba +2nd for hamonic? That would be even worse trade for the jets , hamonic can’t even crack 20 pts and is older , Brodie isn’t that much better

Well different sport but you can say the raptors trading demar derozan for nothing is stupid and bad management but it lead them to the championship so it was worth it , sometimes you gotta look at your roster and take chances and with wheeler/byfuglien aging the time is now to go for it

The islanders should have traded him since everyone expected the islanders not to be a contender anyways but the jets are one of the best teams in the league

Yes I’m well aware that there’s more to a dman than points but trouba is capable of popping 30+ more than hamonic which is a big different , where you gonna make up that difference? Not to mention he’s 5 yrs younger and just simply put a better dman, hamonic can’t even crack 20 pts now how’s he gonna get 30

I can’t see the article you posted , but green come trade deadline can get us back a 1st + unless he shits the bed , so basically a 1st, 2 2nds and maybe a 4th or 5th for a guy we can land in a years time from now when the wings as a team are currently trying to rebuild? I’ll pass

The only thing I’d consider and I’m not even sure I’d do it is trouba for athanasiou , and the jets wouldn’t do it cause they’d need a dman back so we’d probably need a 3rd team involved, AA and trouba are the same age so but our forward group for next season would be really bad with AA not on the 2nd line , which might end up being better when it comes to the 2020 draft, but I’d prefer to be smart and just wait a season for guy who’s been wanting to come back home for years

Jets won’t get the 9th for trouba from the ducks, anyways not a lot of teams win as of yet ,preds haven’t won shit either it’s not an easy league to win in and they wouldn’t be a better team with hamonic/Brodie in the lineup over trouba , they might decide to move on from trouba but it won’t 100% be for picks and not one of those guys,can’t force trouba to sign an extension and the only place he’d maybe go to is detroit and we won’t part with hronek and after that there’s rumors of rangers ? Maybe skjei and that wouldn’t be enough I would think , rumors of Florida but I’d they get bobrovsky and panarin they’ll need the cap space to sign them

We’ll see what happens in the next week, regardless unless yzerman gives up a blue chip player which I hope he doesn’t I can’t see him signing an extension even if he is moved somewhere

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I just found it interesting geez

Sorry if it sounded like it was directed at you. The point I was making was in regards to the people who have been absolutely positive that he was 1 year away from ending up in Detroit.

Should these rumblings be true, I am confident that it means those teams have had conversations with Trouba and know that he would be open to signing an extension.

Reactions: A II R

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
In 31 Thoughts, Friedman mentioned a handful of teams that were aggressive in trade talks, but we weren’t one of them.

I’m thinking the moves we make will come after the first day or two of FA.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Trading trouba +2nd for hamonic? That would be even worse trade for the jets , hamonic can’t even crack 20 pts and is older , Brodie isn’t that much better

Well different sport but you can say the raptors trading demar derozan for nothing is stupid and bad management but it lead them to the championship so it was worth it , sometimes you gotta look at your roster and take chances and with wheeler/byfuglien aging the time is now to go for it

The islanders should have traded him since everyone expected the islanders not to be a contender anyways but the jets are one of the best teams in the league

Yes I’m well aware that there’s more to a dman than points but trouba is capable of popping 30+ more than hamonic which is a big different , where you gonna make up that difference? Not to mention he’s 5 yrs younger and just simply put a better dman, hamonic can’t even crack 20 pts now how’s he gonna get 30

I can’t see the article you posted , but green come trade deadline can get us back a 1st + unless he ****s the bed , so basically a 1st, 2 2nds and maybe a 4th or 5th for a guy we can land in a years time from now when the wings as a team are currently trying to rebuild? I’ll pass

The only thing I’d consider and I’m not even sure I’d do it is trouba for athanasiou , and the jets wouldn’t do it cause they’d need a dman back so we’d probably need a 3rd team involved, AA and trouba are the same age so but our forward group for next season would be really bad with AA not on the 2nd line , which might end up being better when it comes to the 2020 draft, but I’d prefer to be smart and just wait a season for guy who’s been wanting to come back home for years

Jets won’t get the 9th for trouba from the ducks, anyways not a lot of teams win as of yet ,preds haven’t won **** either it’s not an easy league to win in and they wouldn’t be a better team with hamonic/Brodie in the lineup over trouba , they might decide to move on from trouba but it won’t 100% be for picks and not one of those guys,can’t force trouba to sign an extension and the only place he’d maybe go to is detroit and we won’t part with hronek and after that there’s rumors of rangers ? Maybe skjei and that wouldn’t be enough I would think , rumors of Florida but I’d they get bobrovsky and panarin they’ll need the cap space to sign them

We’ll see what happens in the next week, regardless unless yzerman gives up a blue chip player which I hope he doesn’t I can’t see him signing an extension even if he is moved somewhere

Where are you getting this from? It's two separate trades. Trade 1: Trading Trouba Trade 2: Trading for Hamonic or Brodie or C. Miller.

They don't 100% need to get a Dman back in a trade that's all im saying. They can get high valued picks and prospects for Trouba, whether it be from ANH, FLA, BUF, PHI which ever team offers the most lucrative package. and then trade for one of the Dmen that are rumored to be available.

Like you said, different sports. NBA is far more individualistic where 1 player in basketball can make far more of a difference vs 1 player in hockey. Leonard makes far more of a difference on the court playing 70-80% of an NBA game vs in hockey where you're lucky if a Dman is playing 40% of the game (24 mins). SJS traded for one of the best Dmen in the world and didn't get to the finals...the Leafs added one of the best Cs in the league and didn't get further than they have the previous 2 years. 1 player simply doesn't make as huge of an impact in hockey comparatively

Trouba put up 24 pts in 17-18 (the Jets' best season) and 33 the year previous, so it's not like getting 50 pts is something they've been accustomed to.....it'll be a committee approach. Assuming Buff is fully healthy he's good for 50+ pts, Morrissey i think can be 40+ pt Dman. Also with the progression of Sami Niku i think he can put up some points too.

Jets won’t get the 9th for trouba from the ducks, anyways not a lot of teams win as of yet ,preds haven’t won **** either it’s not an easy league to win in and they wouldn’t be a better team with hamonic/Brodie in the lineup over trouba , they might decide to move on from trouba but it won’t 100% be for picks and not one of those guys,can’t force trouba to sign an extension and the only place he’d maybe go to is detroit and we won’t part with hronek and after that there’s rumors of rangers ? Maybe skjei and that wouldn’t be enough I would think , rumors of Florida but I’d they get bobrovsky and panarin they’ll need the cap space to sign them

it doesn't need to be the 9th from the Ducks... it can be the 11th from Philly which Fletcher has been peddling, 13th from FLA....whatever the case is, the Jets could get a package with a high-valued pick+prospect and then trade for Hamonic or Brodie or Miller and still have a replacement top 4 D in the line-up and re-stock their prospect pool.

They might be a bit worse off but it's not the end of the world they'd still be a PO contending team and if this year has shown anyone anything it's that you just have to make the dance and anything can happen

Reactions: Flair Hay

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Are there any rules here about posting “rumors” from random blogs or non-trustworthy sources? Seems like every one of these Trouba rumors have been from sketchy blog sites.
The Jets are usually a tight lipped organization. I think these are mostly blog sites trying to drum up views and discussion

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Damn Karlsson gone makes getting Trouba even more vital...

Also with Karlsson off the market that makes it 7 years and running since a top pair dman hit the FA market. Trouba ain't making it that far.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Also with Karlsson off the market that makes it 7 years and running since a top pair dman hit the FA market. Trouba ain't making it that far.

Ain't that the truth. Their aren't enough top pairing dmen in this league to go around. They are not making it to Free Agency. You want a top player in this league you have to step up and get them.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Damn Karlsson gone makes getting Trouba even more vital...

EK orchestrated on purpose a trade to a specific market he wanted to play in and then signed there.

Exact same thing going on here.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
He didnt sign with Ottawa

Reports were he wanted to play on west coast or tampa

He resigned in San jose and didnt care too see if Minnesota of New Jersey would offer him more money on July 1st
So what you're saying is:

1. He didn't want to be with his current team.

2. He had several teams he would play for.

3. One of those teams traded for him.

4. That team re-signed him before he hit free agency.

Thank you for proving my point. :thumbu:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
EK orchestrated on purpose a trade to a specific market he wanted to play in and then signed there.

Exact same thing going on here.

Not really. There was lots of talk prior to him signing that he wasn't even interested staying on the West coast long term.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm getting a strong feeling 6OA is going to Winnipeg for Trouba. Or AA + multiple seconds and a Kuffner/Hicketts/warm body D with little salary going there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad