Confirmed with Link: Trouba to be named Captain as per Kevin Weekes

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You would think this would have an impact on him not being traded for cap relief down the road now.

I'm not certain it does.

NYR holding off and then naming a clearly interim captain is very on brand.

Drury was NYR's Captain when his contract was bought out. Not sure that would affect the situation at all.

Surprised it isn't Kreider, but maybe that fits the interim definition.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Strome on Trouba:
"There was a lot of talk prior to the season about naming a captain. Multiple reports suggested that Jacob Trouba was going to get the C sewn on his sweater until a late change of plans. Gerard Gallant and Chris Drury opted to go with six alternate captains, but it didn’t stop Trouba from leading the group. “Jacob Trouba did a great job,” Strome revealed. “We got shellacked like 7-2 (Game 4) and we had a big team meeting. He got all the boys together and he really made everyone believe that you have to take it one at a time. You win that first one and we knew we’re going to win Game 5. If we bring it back to Pittsburgh you never know what can happen.

“Igor found his game a little bit and it wasn’t that he wasn’t playing that good. It just felt that whole series every call was against us, and every disallowed goal was against us. We just had to fight through that adversity and we found a way. That [Game 6] and Game 7 was unreal and we felt we were destined to win.” Strome acknowledged that Trouba was a big presence on the ice and a key to the team’s success. However, he made it a point to emphasize the hard-hitting defenseman’s role off of it. “He threw big hits but he answered the bell every single time. I can’t say enough about him as a player and a person,” Strome added. “I think he did an unreal job with the leadership group. A lot things behind the scenes that aren’t easy to do in New York. You got families living in Connecticut, guys living in the City, it’s not easy to put that stuff together.”

This was an easy choice for Drury...

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I'm not certain it does.

NYR holding off and then naming a clearly interim captain is very on brand.

Drury was NYR's Captain when his contract was bought out. Not sure that would affect the situation at all.

Surprised it isn't Kreider, but maybe that fits the interim definition.
You would think this organization would want a captain who will be here long term since the window just opened.

Reactions: cavs

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Eh I like Trouba, and from what I understand he stepped up big time in the locker room after that uglyoss to the Penquins in the playoffs and rallied the team, but I feel like Kreider is the guy that has been leading this team for years. It should go to him.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Very surprised Kreider isn’t interested in having it. Hate that he isn’t this type of person in the room, but he is who he is.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
I just don’t know how it’s not Kreider or fox but I guess this means Trouba isn’t going anywhere, figured with our cap troubles one of Kreider Trouba panarin would be asked to waive no move next summer I guess we know who it won’t be

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Why? We traded our last 2 captains.
I hear your point but it’s not as simple as that. Cally was due for a major raise that the team didn’t want to give out. St. Louis happened to want out of Tampa so the Rangers made the trade. McDonagh was traded because the team was rebuilding and he was one of the better players to potentially get a good return on(let’s not go there lol). This team’s window just opened, it would make sense to keep a captain who will be around competing with the boys until the window closes again.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I just don’t know how it’s not Kreider or fox but I guess this means Trouba isn’t going anywhere, figured with our cap troubles one of Kreider Trouba panarin would be asked to waive no move next summer I guess we know who it won’t be

None of them are going to waive. Nobody in the league with guaranteed ice time would waive from the Rangers in the summer of 23, especially not Trouba, Panarin, or Kreider. I think 23-24 is our first chance to go in as favorites alongside Colorado with our fully developed youth.

Congrats to Trouba who seems like the guy behind the scenes. Hopefully he’s the first to raise the cup and earns that right as a leader.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I just don’t understand considering I don’t think he’ll be around for too long.

He’ll definitely be a scapegoat whether it’s warranted or not, you can count on that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad