Confirmed with Link: Trouba to be named Captain as per Kevin Weekes

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The biggest takeaway--and mainly just hopeful: the stupid hugging at the end of wins can finally stop.

Team definitely need a culture change--from the overpassing (always with the Rangers, but comes from 'oh I want my teammates to succeed!'), the gleeful instagram videos of guys goofing around (Laf is the biggest culprit of this, honestly) and just no killer instinct--hopefully Trouba can lead that charge.

Yeah, the whole goofy stuff is fine if you have earned it. Seeing Lafrenière act that way when he hasn't even cracked 40 points in a season seems misplaced.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Could be understood as the "kiss of death" as well. Captain's get traded from here, ya' know.
Wanted Kreids, but why have any possible jealousy betwixt the 2, giving it to him OVER equally deserving Zibby.
Makes sense in many ways, especially come Trouba's availability down the line. I have come to be fond of him.
No the kiss of death is scoring the first goal of the season. Marc Staal and Pavel Buchnevich were both traded after. Kreider may get pushed back a year.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
There is (and was) zero chance Trouba would waive his NMC before summer 2024. Zero. Real chance at a cup, where he wants to be, where his wife wants to be. Completely immovable object.

This isn’t a waiver eligible McDonagh with no NMC.

We are going to be paying Lafreniere and Miller monster contracts 3-10 years from now. That’s the future.
2024 is only 2 years away. I have a hard to believing the rangers plan for Trouba to be captain for only 2 years. Name one player who the rangers made captain and then traded away 2 years later.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
2024 is only 2 years away. I have a hard to believing the rangers plan for Trouba to be captain for only 2 years. Name one player who the rangers made captain and then traded away 2 years later.

I didn’t say that was the plan, it’s just the soonest time one of Panarin, Kreider, or Trouba can be moved. I think it’ll be Kreider.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
i'd say the issue is Trouba being too confident on the PP, lol

makes tons of stupid plays on them and has some pretty awful shot selection.
Maybe the C will make him make smarter plays on the power play, knowing that he is the captain and custodian of the group and their well-being.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
i'd say the issue is Trouba being too confident on the PP, lol

makes tons of stupid plays on them and has some pretty awful shot selection.

It's coaching. Throughout his whole career he's shot too much on the PP from long range instead of trying to set up higher quality chances for the forwards. Honestly, I have no idea what exactly these coaches are doing. You'd think one of them would point this out to him and tell him he has to stop shooting so much. They probably like it though. They're all from an era of having "the big shot" at the blue to intimidate the defense and keep them honest. They certainly don't think it's an issue as he's never really been removed from the PP his entire career.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It's coaching. Throughout his whole career he's shot too much on the PP from long range instead of trying to set up higher quality chances for the forwards. Honestly, I have no idea what exactly these coaches are doing. You'd think one of them would point this out to him and tell him he has to stop shooting so much. They probably like it though. They're all from an era of having "the big shot" at the blue to intimidate the defense and keep them honest. They certainly don't think it's an issue as he's never really been removed from the PP his entire career.
He had 0.530 shots attempts per minute at 5-on-4 this season. In his last season in Winnipeg, when he was the primary PP1 option, it was .306. That's a 70% increase. The quality of the other options beyond bombing away from the point are a factor here.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He had 0.530 shots attempts per minute at 5-on-4 this season. In his last season in Winnipeg, when he was the primary PP1 option, it was .306. That's a 70% increase. The quality of the other options beyond bombing away from the point are a factor here.

Those numbers don't look right.

He had 35 attempts in 97:10 this year.

49 attempts in 160:31 his last year in WPG.

That last WPG season was one random down year much lower than any other season he's ever had. Very well might have to do with the fact that he was PP1 that year when Byfuglien was hurt. Even if it the case he is shooting more often on PP2 with worse players around him he has had terrible results on the ice while doing it so it would be wise to try and change and see if things go better.

There's also some sort of counting error going on here as NST has him with 35 shot attempts 5v4 this year while NHL.com has him with 29 in the exact same TOI.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Those numbers don't look right.

He had 35 attempts in 97:10 this year.

49 attempts in 160:31 his last year in WPG.

That last WPG season was one random down year much lower than any other season he's ever had. Very well might have to do with the fact that he was PP1 that year when Byfuglien was hurt. Even if it the case he is shooting more often on PP2 with worse players around him he has had terrible results on the ice while doing it so it would be wise to try and change and see if things go better.

There's also some sort of counting error going on here as NST has him with 35 shot attempts 5v4 this year while NHL.com has him with 29 in the exact same TOI.
The problem seems to be that I used a completely wrong number for his TOI this year.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I'm usually not posting in summer. Not much going on after FA.

Troubs wasn't my C, but I have to assume, that throughout the past seasons, he established himself in the locker room. Specially with certain big events that happened.

Last season, he just exploded in front of all of us. The hits were so convincing, that he's the C now.

Let's go to war!

• Love
Reactions: leetch99

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
44A4C696-9B42-4257-9727-E61CC264EA97.jpeg

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Further reinforcement why Trouba was the correct choice

“I talked with Peter and we in here talked as a group about the worst teams we’ve been on and it’s just negativity, blaming,” Trouba said. “You want to come into a positive environment where people show up to the rink feeling happy, they want to come in and work hard and be part of this. I think that’s a pretty contagious thing. One of the best things we had last year was be positive, the whole ‘No Quit (in New York)’ thing, there was no negative energy. That’s when you get the most out of people.”

“The biggest part of it from talking to (Cuneo) is that it’s really pretty simple: be a good person, be available, be accessible. Just be someone that’s there for people and someone that people want to be around,” Trouba said. “There isn’t any magic to it. Here’s someone who’s been in all different environments, led different businesses and he’s found the same things that work. That’s someone you want to listen to on that subject.”

“I was really impressed that Jacob is here saying, ‘Holy shit, I’m the captain of the New York Rangers,'” Cuneo said. “They haven’t had a captain for a few years and Jacob wants to be good at it because the team needs him to be good at it. Most people would just wing it in sports. But he wants to be good. That seems like a good sign.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad