THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The following teams made intra-division trades last year alone:
Anaheim and Edmonton
Rangers and Caps
Buffalo and Ottawa
Detroit traded Jakub Kindl to division winning Florida. ;)
Winnipeg and Chicago
Edmonton and Vancouver
Calgary and Vancouver
Toronto and Ottawa

So yes, other than those 8 intra-division trades in one single season THEY ABSOLUTELY NEVER OCCUR. :sarcasm:

How many of those trades were trying to make their team better vs public demand for a trade by a player in which his current team would rather keep?

Boston trading Hamilton to Detroit would hurt Boston more on so many levels. Whereas Kindl to FLA is insignificant on so many levels.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
How many of those trades were trying to make their team better vs public demand for a trade by a player in which his current team would rather keep?

Boston trading Harmonic to Detroit would hurt Boston more on so many levels. Whereas Kindl to FLA is insignificant on so many levels.

Kesler to Anaheim. But wait. Did Vancouver make the biggest mistake of their franchise life? Did they lose a cup cause of it? Division trades happen all the time. Thems the facts jack

You don't make your team worse because you don't want to trade in division. You make your team better and better it's ur job to do that as gm

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Kesler to Anaheim. But wait. Did Vancouver make the biggest mistake of their franchise life? Did they lose a cup cause of it? Division trades happen all the time. Thems the facts jack

Kesler had a no-trade clause, just turned 30, and was past his prime. Keep trying, though.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

:laugh: Yes, let's prove your point totally invalid with only the most recent season as data and then have you completely change the topic. Kesler was another good example. You can come up with at least a half dozen of these trades every seaon, so your point is totally invalid.

This is getting off topic so I am going to move on.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Wings can clear the cap space, but no way Jets take spare parts for Trouba. They need a top defenseman or top line center. Wings only have Larkin that fits that bill.

KH already proved he can. Many teams with clever GMs move cap space at will. Clearing cap space isn't an issue. The true issue is who do the Wings have to trade if Larkin is untouchable? Answer is nobody. Wings don't have Taylor Halls on hand to trade foolishly.

The only reason why Detroit "aren't players at this point" is because they do not have trade-able assets worth the caliber of defense Detroit needs (Trouba). Cap space is a distant 2nd that can be worked around if needed. At this point it is not needed since nobody here wants to trade Larkin for quality defense.

I am the minority that would trade Larkin if it is for a young franchise dman.

No it's not the "Exhibit A". Wings don't have the players to trade for such a defenseman. No, Pulkennen and Paetsch isn't getting it done. Starts with a top young dman or center. You trading Larkin?

This reads like "maybe if I repeat something enough times, other people will believe it too"

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
:laugh: Yes, let's prove your point totally invalid with only the most recent season as data and then have you completely change the topic. Kesler was another good example. You can come up with at least a half dozen of these trades every seaon, so your point is totally invalid.

This is getting off topic so I am going to move on.

It makes perfect sense when you look at the entire context of everything. Like DET trading Kindl to FLA. Really?
Or EDM, a none-playoff team, trading to a division rival. Really?

Nucks' on the downward spiral and were a none-playoff team prior to the Kesler trade who he himself was on the decline.

The difference is Boston actually want to make the playoffs. Why haven't they? Detroit has been standing in their way. Hamilton in Detroit would have made that feat even harder. Of course Boston would have traded if KH would have severely overpaid to the point it would have been a running joke for the next decade. Sure, a trade could have been made... if that makes you feel better. But you would have hated it and probably want to jump off a bridge.

Context my friend. Context. Look at the entire facts, not just pull out random things out of thin air without seeing what the logic and situation was at the time.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
They are not getting a McDavid for him, no. But in the trade rumors board I did see Malkins name mentioned. Also saw Hamonics name mentioned, both proposals brought up by none-Jets fans.

I doubt Jets are trading Trouba for spare parts. I also doubt they'll take a lesser deal from Detroit than they can get from other none-divisional teams who have better trade assets.

Malkin is an older guy with a massive price tag while Hamonic had requested a trade to western canada pretty much all of last year - or a bit of a problem for his club. He's also a rightie while Peg fans seem adamant that it has to be a left handed D coming back, and I thought Winnipeg has an internal cap that they're already butting heads with.

I know everyone points to the Larsson-Hall swap as a price setter, but they could just as easily point to Hamilton. I think the Myers trade is probably closer to where a Trouba trade will shake out. A couple of good but not great pieces and some prospects/picks thrown in to make each side feel good. Might they get something from their wishlist? Maybe, but I think they'll be more likely to do what we keep talking about and involving a third team in some way. Either through a cut and dry 3-way deal, or by just making a second deal afterwards.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Trouba is a must get for Detroit. He doesn't solve all their problems, but given the fact that a full 1/2 of last year's top 6 either is gone or broken, there is no way they can afford to sit on their hands.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Helm + Smith + 2nd

Go get him, Kenny!

I would be stoked about that. Open up a forward slot, not give up AA or Mantha or Svech.

Helm+XO+1st.

Speedy speedy guy who can PK, PP, wing, center, versatile.
XO can play a steady shift as a LHD.
1st rounder self explanatory.

Trouba gets to play in Detroit. We clear almost 4mil for Helm off the books. DO IT.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I am pretty sure WPG will get more than scraps plus AHL player and a 10th overall pick. Trouba is a known commodity and he is damn good.

Maybe if the drafting had been better there would be quality assets to trade for Trouba.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The hamiliton trade is the only one that can reasonably be used for context

Both young rfa dmen

and while one can argue not every team knew he was available, skeptical on that, a public trade request often leads to less return(the jets do not have the upper hand)

Hamiliton was better and had produced more in the nhl.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Malkin is an older guy with a massive price tag while Hamonic had requested a trade to western canada pretty much all of last year - or a bit of a problem for his club. He's also a rightie while Peg fans seem adamant that it has to be a left handed D coming back, and I thought Winnipeg has an internal cap that they're already butting heads with.

I know everyone points to the Larsson-Hall swap as a price setter, but they could just as easily point to Hamilton. I think the Myers trade is probably closer to where a Trouba trade will shake out. A couple of good but not great pieces and some prospects/picks thrown in to make each side feel good. Might they get something from their wishlist? Maybe, but I think they'll be more likely to do what we keep talking about and involving a third team in some way. Either through a cut and dry 3-way deal, or by just making a second deal afterwards.

Wings also don't have a Bogosian to trade for a Myers either. Or a top 10 pick + two 2nds for Hamiliton. All is relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Why would you do that? Just curious. We'd have four RHD that way not counting Sproul. I would go for Fowler.

I prefer Vatanen's point production. Seeing that Fowler is slightly younger and is from Michigan, which seems to matter for Holland, I'm not opposed to trading for Fowler either. LHD-RHD parity is also a good thing.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wings also don't have a Bogosian to trade for a Myers either. Or a top 10 pick + two 2nds for Hamiliton. All is relevant.

A former high pick with a bunch of question marks and an inability to stay healthy and a an extra second round pick are your too high to climb hurdles? I think you're just reaching at this point. They are both deals whose values we could likely match, and which wouldn't gut us, and far below the Hall trade where Edmonton was just stupid.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Another interesting point. Wpg fans want a LHD similar to Trouba for Trouba. How much teams actually have such assets? How much of them are maybe willing to part with them for Trouba?

Anaheim probably counts. Anyone else?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I am pretty sure WPG will get more than scraps plus AHL player and a 10th overall pick. Trouba is a known commodity and he is damn good.

Maybe if the drafting had been better there would be quality assets to trade for Trouba.
Well if we had drafted more of the assets WPG wants, we'd be less inclined to trade for Trouba at all.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Another interesting point. Wpg fans want a LHD similar to Trouba for Trouba. How much teams actually have such assets? How much of them are maybe willing to part with them for Trouba?

Anaheim probably counts. Anyone else?

I can see Fowler + from Anaheim, or a something around a D prospect + from Philly.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
A former high pick with a bunch of question marks and an inability to stay healthy and a an extra second round pick are your too high to climb hurdles? I think you're just reaching at this point. They are both deals whose values we could likely match, and which wouldn't gut us, and far below the Hall trade where Edmonton was just stupid.

You make it sound like Bogosian is a poor mans Brendan Smith. You can't just manifest a big young top 4 dman out of thin air to trade. Wings didn't have one in the system to trade. So all the Wings really had to do was match that offer? Is that what you honestly think?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You make it sound like Bogosian is a poor mans Brendan Smith. You can't just manifest a big young top 4 dman out of thin air to trade. Wings didn't have one in the system to trade. So all the Wings really had to do was match that offer? Is that what you honestly think?

Hyperbole thy name is Dotter. :)

He's not a poor man's Brendan Smith, but he is a poor man's Bogosian. He's not the blue chip prospect he once was, and the total value of that trade isn't something we couldn't match. We might not be able to match specific pieces, but we're also not sending someone with Kane's problems or getting back someone with Myers' track record (which we wouldn't be, at least not with Trouba).

You're hung up on matching specific pieces where I think it's about total value. That isn't mean we can package 17 mediocre guys together, obviously, but it does mean that I think there's more than one road to take to have the right amount of value for a trade, and that other teams have that same predicament.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Well, supposedly could have had him in 2011 for package centered Hudler and Kindl.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Well, supposedly could have had him in 2011 for package centered Hudler and Kindl.

I feel like it was Filppula and Ericsson. Ericsson when he still looked like a potential #3D and before he signed his 6 year deal. Something where in hindsight it would have been a great deal, but at the time it was prohibitive value.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I feel like it was Filppula and Ericsson. Ericsson when he still looked like a potential #3D and before he signed his 6 year deal. Something where in hindsight it would have been a great deal, but at the time it was prohibitive value.

I'm fairly certain that it was Hudler and Kindl. Kindl still had a considerable amount of trade value back in 2011.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
some jets fan is stating on the main board and in the jets board that he has "insider" info that trouba wants to play as close to the state of michigan as possible and has informed Chevy of that through his agent

well whats closer to the state of michigan than detroit

it sure would be great if he had stated that he would ONLY sign long term with detroit much like many other players have done in the past to hand select one market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad