Eklund Rumor: Trouba - Leafs, Boston & Wings

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
We need to continue to build up our D prospect pool. It's still an area that lacks quality depth.

+ we also need to strengthen our NHL defense, which Trouba is a big part of.

That's how ****ing little interest is there for the Jets to trade Trouba.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
+ we also need to strengthen our NHL defense, which Trouba is a big part of.

That's how ****ing little interest is there for the Jets to trade Trouba.

Has he given up his wanting to play in the US dream? Winnipeg definitely shouldn't be counting on him in their future plans.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Trouba and Scheifele and wheeler have some bromance going
Ehlers and Laine
Morrissey and big buff

They seem to get along.

Hope he stays

All positions are locked in

Scheifele (23)
Laine(18)
Ehlers(20)
Morrissey (21)
Trouba(22)
Hellybuyck(22)
Scary good core. Different styles throughout. 2way, sniper, shifty passers, mean defenders, puck movers. Depth and strong leadership.
Big team that can skate, will give everyone trouble

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I guess we'll have to wait to find out. Until then, he's a part of our future.

I was just asking he's stated he wants out he signed a short deal at a great price. If he hasn't said he wants to stay, I'd guess he still wants to leave.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
I was just asking he's stated he wants out he signed a short deal at a great price. If he hasn't said he wants to stay, I'd guess he still wants to leave.

Things are pretty hush in the Jets organization. We'll get a better feel during the summer when he could be extended. If there's no extention, then we'll have a better idea of his intentions.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Toronto would never trade for Trouba. Afterall he's stated he wants to play in the U S and has only 1 more year on his deal. Why would Toronto give up anything near his worth in that situation?

He is still RFA controlled. Though pretty much every Wings fans is waiting with a smile for the day he becomes an UFA. But it is still pretty far off, but the rumors around him seem like Detroit would have to royally screw up their pitch to not get him if he ever did become an UFA.

Obviously he could land somewhere else and that could all change. It is just my opinion, but I am fairly certain his days with the Jets are still numbered. I would be pretty surprised if he is still in that organization after July this summer. I think something gets done at the draft.

As a Wings fan I would give what is looking like a Top 5 pick for him. 2nd pick is a little tough, but even there you give that a good long think in my opinion. I pick Patrick one and don't consider that. But that should be the starting point for the Wings in this deal. They look like they are going to have a very high pick as a starting point in talks.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Has he given up his wanting to play in the US dream? Winnipeg definitely shouldn't be counting on him in their future plans.

As long as any additional information doesn't come out, he belongs to the team's future and is a big part of it. If he wants to leave via UFA, so be it - that's three more years at minimum for us, with no contract clauses to deal with, should a trade occur. He's doing absolutely everything in his power to either earn a big payday or raise his trade value (which is very high). Can't be unhappy with the current situation.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Toronto would never trade for Trouba. Afterall he's stated he wants to play in the U S and has only 1 more year on his deal. Why would Toronto give up anything near his worth in that situation?

Leafs trading D for D makes little sense to the Leafs, they need to boost their current D roster significantly.

No one is advocated a trade with the Leafs from a Jets POV. Matthews is far too valuable, leafs need to add to their current D roster significantly......this means there isn't much left of interest to the Jets as a return for Trouba keeping mind our needs (aka very little interest or need for Marner or Nylander). Our biggest need if Trouba is traded is a very good ED exempt D coming back.

FYI Trouba and his agent debunked the rumour as false regarding not wanting to play in Canada, you can choose to believe rumours or the agent/player. No clue if he resigns here or not long term, but he's still a RFA after this contract is over.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
As long as any additional information doesn't come out, he belongs to the team's future and is a big part of it. If he wants to leave via UFA, so be it - that's three more years at minimum for us, with no contract clauses to deal with, should a trade occur. He's doing absolutely everything in his power to either earn a big payday or raise his trade value (which is very high). Can't be unhappy with the current situation.

Agreed. The only better would be announcing a 8 year deal with Trouba.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Leafs trading D for D makes little sense to the Leafs, they need to boost their current D roster significantly.

No one is advocated a trade with the Leafs from a Jets POV. Matthews is far too valuable, leafs need to add to their current D roster significantly......this means there isn't much left of interest to the Jets as a return for Trouba keeping mind our needs (aka very little interest or need for Marner or Nylander). Our biggest need if Trouba is traded is a very good ED exempt D coming back.

FYI Trouba and his agent debunked the rumour as false regarding not wanting to play in Canada, you can choose to believe rumours or the agent/player.

I would trade Trouba for Marner without blinking, and figure out how to fill the D spot later (even if it meant flipping Marner). If Chevy can get very high value in a forward, then I think he should pull the trigger and then use the organization's abundant forward depth and talent to fill the D.

I don't think Nylander is an equivalent value to Marner or Trouba, so that wouldn't work.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I would trade Trouba for Marner without blinking, and figure out how to fill the D spot later (even if it meant flipping Marner). If Chevy can get very high value in a forward, then I think he should pull the trigger and then use the organization's abundant forward depth and talent to fill the D.

I don't think Nylander is an equivalent value to Marner or Trouba, so that wouldn't work.

Marner would make me think, but I would think hard about it. Marner has cooled off significantly since his hot/emotional type of start. But I do like the kid. Nylander isn't even a possible consideration IMO, no interest as a return for Trouba. Marner is a maybe IMO, but like you say we would then need to do another trade to fix the D......trades aren't easy.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg

I don't think Marner is ever offered, so I don't consider it at all realistic. He's one of their untouchables.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Marner would make me think, but I would think hard about it. Marner has cooled off significantly since his hot/emotional type of start. But I do like the kid. Nylander isn't even a possible consideration IMO, no interest as a return for Trouba. Marner is a maybe IMO, but like you say we would then need to do another trade to fix the D......trades aren't easy.

Agree with the bolded. Just not what Winnipeg needs, especially in a deal for Trouba.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't think Marner is ever offered, so I don't consider it at all realistic. He's one of their untouchables.

Likely true, but depends how bad they want to fix their D problem. Trouba fixes it over night. But personally I would sooner focus on getting a ED exempt D back for him if possible. Forwards aren't a big need. Marner is nice but not a franchise player either.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Likely true, but depends how bad they want to fix their D problem. Trouba fixes it over night. But personally I would sooner focus on getting a ED exempt D back for him if possible. Forwards aren't a big need. Marner is nice but not a franchise player either.

ED exempt D only matters if he's dealt before the ED. Otherwise our ask could be different.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Why would Trouba participate in local community events like the RWB's the Nutcracker, if he wasn't still considering staying here? It's not like he has to volunteer his time to that. Maybe it's possible that he's reconsidering his previous stance. Again just speculation on my part, but I know I wouldn't invest my personal time in a place where I didn't want to be.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I agree. I was just making the point that I think that if the Jets could get equivalent value to Trouba (which is very high from the Jets' perspective), then they should consider it and then use their forward riches to go after a D. This strategy would work particularly well if they acquire a forward before the expansion draft, protect 7-3-1, and then trade a forward to a team that has more D and is looking for top-end forward talent.

Of course, this is only a good idea if the Jets aren't able to persuade Trouba to settle in as a top D on the Jets. If Trouba insists on wanting out, then Chevy might need to get creative.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
He's pretty vague. I remember hearing about a Spooner + Carlo + 1st deal before the season that turned down by Winnipeg. I can't remember where it was said though.

IIRC Boston walked away b/c it was too expensive deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad