Eklund Rumor: Trouba - Leafs, Boston & Wings

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Eklund update.

Trouba...

For a player who is not being shopped at all there is no shortage of teams interested....You can now add the Islanders and Caps to the list that includes Detroit, Toronto, and very much Boston.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=81814&blogger_id=1

Outstanding play of Trouba is drawing more and more attn/interest from teams.

:popcorn:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Freidmen said MAF to Winnipeg and Trouba to Pittsburgh so...it's a done dealeo.

I could see this happening is MAF is the cap dump moving to cover Trouba's cap.

But MAF is a worthless contract by itself. If a team was offering a conditional 7th for MAF Rutherford would have dealt him already.

MAF has a NTC and as a result HAS to be protected and PIT then exposes their actually good goaltender Murray in the expansion draft.

Rutherford is trying to be calm about this but internally he is in full panic mode.

While Trouba has been linked to many off-ice issues I think there is still a lot of respect for his on-ice abilities and RHD hold even greater value.

PIT would have to add a lot.

And as far as OP saying the Jets wouldn't want prospects, I disagree. I think they would want players that are expansion exempt more than a viable roster player.

Dealing Trouba allows the Jets to go protect 7F-3D-1G so they could protect essentially their entire roster.

Adding more players that need protecting would only mean they increase the value of the player they lose to expansion.

A great example of subtraction by addition.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

But MAF is a worthless contract by itself. If a team was offering a conditional 7th for MAF Rutherford would have dealt him already.

MAF has a NTC and as a result HAS to be protected and PIT then exposes their actually good goaltender Murray in the expansion draft.

Rutherford is trying to be calm about this but internally he is in full panic mode.

While Trouba has been linked to many off-ice issues I think there is still a lot of respect for his on-ice abilities and RHD hold even greater value.

And as far as OP saying the Jets wouldn't want prospects, I disagree. I think they would want players that are expansion exempt more than a viable roster player.

Dealing Trouba allows the Jets to go protect 7F-3D-1G so they could protect essentially their entire roster.

Adding more players that need protecting would only mean they increase the value of the player they lose to expansion.

Fleury's NMC makes this an automatic no. And you can forget Trouba. He's playing out of his skin at the moment, and he is not available at all without a replacement coming back.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Trading our best Dman so we can protect our 5th best forward is a odd way to look at 'addition by subtraction'

The Jets are not going to give away a 22 year old top pairing defenceman

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
NTC and NMC

NTC are eligible for the draft.

NMC have to protected by their team unless the players waives it for the purpose of the draft.

I've been reading these mistakes in posts.

Fleury....might (and apparently has said) that he would waive his NMC for draft purposes to be exposed to Las Vegas, which does not mean Vegas would claim him.

Fleury can waive his NMC for the expansion draft,. but still maintain his NMC for trade purposes. So a trade to Winnipeg seems unlikely.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
NTC are eligible for the draft.

NMC have to protected by their team unless the players waives it for the purpose of the draft.

I've been reading these mistakes in posts.

Fleury....might (and apparently has said) that he would waive his NMC for draft purposes to be exposed to Las Vegas, which does not mean Vegas would claim him.

Fleury can waive his NMC for the expansion draft,. but still maintain his NMC for trade purposes. So a trade to Winnipeg seems unlikely.

Probably more unlikely due to the fact that Trouba is worth more than a goalie

Whileee

May 29, 2010
First, Trouba is having a terrific season. He's been getting better and better as the season progresses and his offense has started to kick in... on pace for 41 points over a full season, which is higher production than Rielly this season.

Second, I think the expansion draft will be significant. I think the Jets might want to protect 7 forwards, because they have some good young ones.

One scenario might be for the Jets to trade for a high end young forward with term, and then move a forward for a good young D after the expansion draft. I still think Chevy will continue to try to convince Trouba to sign long term with the Jets, and if not, focus on getting a good young D. However, it could be a two-stage trade, perhaps before and after the expansion draft.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Pretty amazing considering Trouba had only like 1 point in his first 10-12 games.

He's been a beast after he got reacclimatized..

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
First, Trouba is having a terrific season. He's been getting better and better as the season progresses and his offense has started to kick in... on pace for 41 points over a full season, which is higher production than Rielly this season.

Second, I think the expansion draft will be significant. I think the Jets might want to protect 7 forwards, because they have some good young ones.

One scenario might be for the Jets to trade for a high end young forward with term, and then move a forward for a good young D after the expansion draft. I still think Chevy will continue to try to convince Trouba to sign long term with the Jets, and if not, focus on getting a good young D. However, it could be a two-stage trade, perhaps before and after the expansion draft.

Well then, are the Jets a playoff team? If no and if he isn't interested in signing long-term than the highest value would come before the trade deadline because they would be looking to move him before the expansion draft anyways and why not get top value if his absence on the ice doesn't change their playoff situation.

jdpitt05

Jan 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think Rutherford wants to keep Fleury for the cup run. Murray has already been injured twice this season and we don't want to throw the season away with no backup goalie if Murray goes down playoff time. MAF and Murray are both cup winners so i'm fine with keeping them and working out some deal for MAF at seasons end.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Well then, are the Jets a playoff team? If no and if he isn't interested in signing long-term than the highest value would come before the trade deadline because they would be looking to move him before the expansion draft anyways and why not get top value if his absence on the ice doesn't change their playoff situation.

The ask would be a piece that no one's giving up for him. There is no point.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

100% agree. Return would be either a very good young ED exempt D or a good forward & good ED exempt D.

The return would be huge on Trouba. Great defensively, very physical and now is producing offensively (b/c he's been given the chance in the top 4 & PP) at a similar or better rate then those soft poor defensively D. Our best D overall and top pairing easy.

I think Rutherford wants to keep Fleury for the cup run. Murray has already been injured twice this season and we don't want to throw the season away with no backup goalie if Murray goes down playoff time. MAF and Murray are both cup winners so i'm fine with keeping them and working out some deal for MAF at seasons end.

No interest in MAF.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

That will be the key here. Whether his trade offer was actually "rescinded" or he's just going to bring it up again.

He's playing the right side now thanks to Morrissey, so who knows, we'll have to see.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Thank God Trouba has been playing great so it rises the package received from him.

It didnt become a Turris situation like so many here said It would be.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Why exactly would the Jets be looking to move Trouba before the expansion draft?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Agreed. Skjei is expansion exempt, but he would be a secondary part of the deal. I'm still hoping Trouba will sign long-term.

Agreed, I like Skjei, but he isn't even close. He represents the plus in any deal now, not the main piece.

Ideally we sign Trouba for 6-8 years.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Trouba and Scheifele and wheeler have some bromance going
Ehlers and Laine
Morrissey and big buff

They seem to get along.

Hope he stays

All positions are locked in

Scheifele (23)
Laine(18)
Ehlers(20)
Morrissey (21)
Trouba(22)
Hellybuyck(22)

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Trouba and Scheifele and wheeler have some bromance going
Ehlers and Laine
Morrissey and big buff

They seem to get along.

Hope he stays

All positions are locked in

Scheifele (23)
Laine(18)
Ehlers(20)
Morrissey (21)
Trouba(22)
Hellybuyck(22)

We need to continue to build up our D prospect pool. It's still an area that lacks quality depth.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Toronto would never trade for Trouba. Afterall he's stated he wants to play in the U S and has only 1 more year on his deal. Why would Toronto give up anything near his worth in that situation?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad