Eklund Rumor: Trouba for Krug, prospects AND picks?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nothing wrong with that, Other then Boston is losing a 40 point D man in Krug. Where Trouba might give you slightly more then 20 points per season Krug offensively is far better then Trouba but Boston adding Trouba would be adding size that they could use other then Chara there's not much size there in Boston. Honestly a Krug for Trouba swap would benefit both teams. Krug in Winnipeg would be dangerous and Trouba in Boston would be solid for the Bs.

I don't agree with that. I can't prove it because it hasn't happened yet. Trouba has been forced to cover for a black-hole D partner. If let loose I think Trouba easily scores 30+, maybe 40. I think Trouba is a much better all around player. Unfortunately still unproven. This is where Sweeney (or any acquiring GM) has to turn to his scouts, not HF boards. Take their assessment of relative values. Krug is great but Trouba is capable of dominating - given the chance.

Just discussing for fun now because this is an Eklund rumour. We now know for a certainty that Trouba is not going to Boston unless he wants to take in a Celtics game while he is waiting for the phone to ring. :)

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
from a neutral observer it seems reasonable. i think given the opportunity trouba will produce more points than he has. playing on the third pair with stuart isnt a good way to judge his ability. given top pair minutes in boston i think he would thrive. his shutdown ability and physicality is something the bruins will be needing now that chara is coming to the end of his career. bruins should be adding here but how much is the question.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I don't agree with that. I can't prove it because it hasn't happened yet. Trouba has been forced to cover for a black-hole D partner. If let loose I think Trouba easily scores 30+, maybe 40. I think Trouba is a much better all around player. Unfortunately still unproven. This is where Sweeney (or any acquiring GM) has to turn to his scouts, not HF boards. Take their assessment of relative values. Krug is great but Trouba is capable of dominating - given the chance.

Just discussing for fun now because this is an Eklund rumour. We now know for a certainty that Trouba is not going to Boston unless he wants to take in a Celtics game while he is waiting for the phone to ring. :)

No i agree that in the right system Trouba could be a 30 to 40 point per season D man not sure why i said 20 that was wrong in Boston's system Trouba more then likely could be every bit as good as Krug. Don't see it any ways Sweeney isn't going to trade Krug after just resigning him to a pretty nice deal considering that Trouba more then likely would be seeking more money.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Krug 4 Trouba
Is a lateral move but as an outside observer I would then try to make a move for Fowler and bring in
Fowler and Trouba to lead that D Corp

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Sweeney brought Krug into the organization and just signed him this off season. Krug isn't going anywhere. Plus it's Eklund so...

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
BOS should not do this as they are giving up too much for a player and just mailing their left side weak

Agreed. And I think Krug is better so why would Boston add so much?

Trouba and 2 2nds for Krug and 2019 4th OR 2017 5th would be more reasonable

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i really don't understand why people think Trouba--unsigned--would return krug even one for one. or any D of simliar ability/potential who are signed for 3+ more seasons. it makes no sense, especially as Trouba is rumored to want more money than almost every comparable I've seen. There's no guarantee you'll keep him past the season--why would you give up a solid performer who is already signed for the next 3-4 seasons one for one? Or whatever tiny contract he insists on if he wants to be free after next year?

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
From a Boston perspective, I would trade Krug straight up for Trouba, very quickly.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
i really don't understand why people think Trouba--unsigned--would return krug even one for one. or any D of simliar ability/potential who are signed for 3+ more seasons. it makes no sense, especially as Trouba is rumored to want more money than almost every comparable I've seen. There's no guarantee you'll keep him past the season--why would you give up a solid performer who is already signed for the next 3-4 seasons one for one? Or whatever tiny contract he insists on if he wants to be free after next year?

Bingo

There would need to be a pretty big incentive for Boston to do this. The more i think of it it would be more prospects/picks then i suggested the post above yours

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Take a hike Eklund.

Trouba isn't worth Krug+. Plus the deal doesn't help Boston's needs (which is D since it's swapping one D man for another)

The only way the Bruins trade for a d-man is if it's for futures/forward prospects, neither of which the Jets likely want.

I could maybe see a deal around Spooner for Fowler possibly, But agree that a Krug for Trouba deal makes very little sense here it's a lateral move at best unless Sweeny does Krug for Trouba then possibly Spooner for Fowler but i doubt that Boston would have the cap to do this kind of deal considering that Trouba more then likely will be asking for more then what Krug is currently making.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Trouba's agent said they never let the Jets offer a contract and have not discussed money / term. That seems impossible, but if you believe that Trouba wants to move to a team closer to home where he can play top pair RHD then one would think that the contract would be pretty standard in the 5+ million range. Anyone acquiring Trouba would own his rights for a minimum of 4 years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No i agree that in the right system Trouba could be a 30 to 40 point per season D man not sure why i said 20 that was wrong in Boston's system Trouba more then likely could be every bit as good as Krug. Don't see it any ways Sweeney isn't going to trade Krug after just resigning him to a pretty nice deal considering that Trouba more then likely would be seeking more money.

You can't compare the 2 contracts. Krug has had not 1 but 2 one year bridge deals after his ELC. This is his 4th contract. It is Trouba's second. Traded to Boston Trouba would likely sign 6x5. If it goes to 5.5 then it is for longer term. Sweeney can have that part nailed down before any trade. As an RFA Trouba is free to negotiate with any team. The recency of the signing means little. If Sweeney likes the deal he has to do it.

Still doubt this happens though. It is too close to lateral for Boston and I can't see Winnipeg adding so where is the incentive for Boston? The only way it makes sense is if Boston wants the physicality and believes that Trouba is still going to get quite a bit better. Maybe Sweeney thinks that way but ......

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You and a lot of other people. It is really simple. Trouba is a free agent, with restrictions. He can negotiate with any team. No team trades for him without having a deal in place first. If they can't make a deal with Trouba that they like then they don't make the trade.

There is no basis whatsoever for the rumours about Trouba wanting exorbitant amounts of $$$. If he gets the situation he is looking for he probably signs for market value, which is 6x5. If the $$$ goes higher then the term goes longer. Boston appears to meet all of his criteria. Big market, closer to home, top pair RD available.

That doesn't make this deal likely but the lack of a contract is no impediment to a trade - unless the acquiring team tries and fails to negotiate a contract. Then there is no trade.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can think of one scenario that might support this idea. Rumours were hot & heavy yesterday (or the day before?) that Fowler was going to an Eastern team. That is to clear cap space so no expensive players going back. If that team is Boston and they then swap Krug for Trouba they have largely rebuilt their D. Opinions will vary about the quality of that rebuild. We could argue for weeks. :laugh: But a top 4 with Chara, Fowler, Trouba and xxx is a lot better than what they have now. I don't know who xxx is and Chara is almost done so it isn't "Mission Accomplished" yet. But it does make sense as far as it goes.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Trouba for Krug, Lauzon, 2017 1st round pick. Anything less than that- No Deal

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I can think of one scenario that might support this idea. Rumours were hot & heavy yesterday (or the day before?) that Fowler was going to an Eastern team. That is to clear cap space so no expensive players going back. If that team is Boston and they then swap Krug for Trouba they have largely rebuilt their D. Opinions will vary about the quality of that rebuild. We could argue for weeks. :laugh: But a top 4 with Chara, Fowler, Trouba and xxx is a lot better than what they have now. I don't know who xxx is and Chara is almost done so it isn't "Mission Accomplished" yet. But it does make sense as far as it goes.
Chara, Krug, and Trouba is just as good of a Top 4 especially since Krug is signed for 4 seasons instead of Fowler's 2, Bruins don't trade away more assets if the keep Krug and acquire Trouba rather than acquiring both Fowler and Trouba, and Krug was just re-signed by Sweeney who was the one to get the Bruins to sign Torey out of college. If Boston and Winnipeg are trading with each other, Krug is not going to be involved. If these two teams trade trade with each other, the trade would look something like this:
Would you do this:

Winnipeg trades D Jacob Trouba to Boston in exchange for D Jakub Zboril, F Ryan Spooner, F Seth Griffith, and 2017 1st round pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad