Speculation: Trouba Contract Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So does 3 fit the description of 'never seen so many bridge deals' compared to 9 long term? IDK, it doesn't strike me that way.

I was looking at this offseason only. You have gone back and collected a couple of years worth of long term deals.

Long term so far this offseason are:

Rielly
Jones
Murphy

Whereas a number of players some high profile have signed bridge deals.

Dumba
Ceci
Murray

So far it's 3 and 3 whereas in past offseasons most young defenders like Klingberg, Larson, Klef, Hamilton etc where locked in for term.

My main point is that it looks like there might be some push back from the agents due to some very team friendly deals signed to very good young defenseman the prior couple of offseasons. This is leading to more bridge deals to prominent players due to them not getting what they want.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was looking at this offseason only. You have gone back and collected a couple of years worth of long term deals.

Long term so far this offseason are:

Rielly
Jones
Murphy

Whereas a number of players some high profile have signed bridge deals.

Dumba
Ceci
Murray

So far it's 3 and 3 whereas in past offseasons most young defenders like Klingberg, Larson, Klef, Hamilton etc where locked in for term.

My main point is that it looks like there might be some push back from the agents due to some very team friendly deals signed to very good young defenseman the prior couple of offseasons. This is leading to more bridge deals to prominent players due to them not getting what they want.

The oldest one was Klingberg, April 17, 15. 16 months ago. I believe I included all the bridge deals in the same period.

It seems to me that until Dumba and Ceci we were talking about how 6 years seemed to have become a standard. We got 2 bridges in a row. 2 data points don't indicate a trend, or anything else for that matter.

That said I think the bridge deal is perfectly normal. Long term is preferred by just about everyone but a 2 year bridge deal is a perfectly acceptable compromise when there are factors preventing agreement on a long term deal. We are usually talking about a lot of money being invested and 6 years is a long time. A lot changes in 6 years. We are talking about anywhere from about 20 million to 70 million $US per player.

Edit: The bold could be true - or not. I would need to see another data point or two before I accept it as a thing.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Has anyone heard anything about if Chevy and Overhardt are talking this week? With the World Cup of Hockey camps opening Sept 5th this week should be the 1st real pressure point to get a deal in place (despite insurance).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Has anyone heard anything about if Chevy and Overhardt are talking this week? With the World Cup of Hockey camps opening Sept 5th this week should be the 1st real pressure point to get a deal in place (despite insurance).

I doubt that we'll hear anything until either there is an agreement or some sort of impasse. Neither side likes to speak out in public on negotiations.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I think the fact that we haven't heard anything is good. I'd start to get worried if they started negotiating in public.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Interesting. I'm sure Trouba will get contract questions at the WC if he's unsigned.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting. I'm sure Trouba will get contract questions at the WC if he's unsigned.

That's two of the big three that are left who have made comments about the lack of progress with getting a deal done. I'm very curious about what is happening with the Trouba negotiations.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
That's two of the big three that are left who have made comments about the lack of progress with getting a deal done. I'm very curious about what is happening with the Trouba negotiations.

It's likely the negs for all three are stalled. Each side waiting for the other.... Deadlines push negotiations.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
I doubt that we'll hear anything until either there is an agreement or some sort of impasse. Neither side likes to speak out in public on negotiations.

This. Also, as has been speculated elsewhere in this thread, the most probable time for contract signing is at the end of Jets TC. WCOH has little bearing on negotiations since insurance woes have been long settled. There's probably more pressure just after the World Cup since Trouba will have to decide if he's reporting to Jets camp or not.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
It's likely the negs for all three are stalled. Each side waiting for the other.... Deadlines push negotiations.

I hope it's not this, Trouba is clearly the least good defenseman of the three, and he shouldn't be expecting to get paid similarly to them.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I hope it's not this, Trouba is clearly the least good defenseman of the three, and he shouldn't be expecting to get paid similarly to them.

I was talking about the team and the agent waiting. A stare down. Not waiting for someone else to sign.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It'll become more public around training camp once public perception becomes important to both sides.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

There might be a bit more pressure on Trouba, because he might be below the other two in perceived value. This might become a bit more evident if Trouba plays a secondary role in the WHC (i.e. as the 7th D) and Risto and Lindholm play prominent roles. In that case, there would be pressure on Trouba to come in below the contract value of Risto and Lindholm. He might want to jump first if he sees a good long-term offer from the Jets rather than let another contract establish his contract "ceiling". But this is all speculation.

From the Jets perspective, it might be good to wait. If the Ducks are taking a really hard line with Lindholm and its pretty clear that the Jets would be justified in coming in below Lindholm with Trouba, then why not let the Ducks do the hard negotiating with Lindholm as it seems that they are, and then slot Trouba in below that.

On balance, it would seem that it would be better for Chevy to wait, but it might be advantageous for Trouba to sign first.

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
There might be a bit more pressure on Trouba, because he might be below the other two in perceived value. This might become a bit more evident if Trouba plays a secondary role in the WHC (i.e. as the 7th D) and Risto and Lindholm play prominent roles. In that case, there would be pressure on Trouba to come in below the contract value of Risto and Lindholm. He might want to jump first if he sees a good long-term offer from the Jets rather than let another contract establish his contract "ceiling". But this is all speculation.

From the Jets perspective, it might be good to wait. If the Ducks are taking a really hard line with Lindholm and its pretty clear that the Jets would be justified in coming in below Lindholm with Trouba, then why not let the Ducks do the hard negotiating with Lindholm as it seems that they are, and then slot Trouba in below that.

On balance, it would seem that it would be better for Chevy to wait, but it might be advantageous for Trouba to sign first.

maxresdefault.jpg

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
So we're still without information on Trouba. Were you expecting anything regarding Trouba in the short term? An announcement? Not surprised it didn't happen today as it would distract from the captaincy but perhaps Friday?

I'm not sure on specific's in terms of when a "deal" will get done or where that end of the situation is at but I am aware that he is not interested in playing here and would rather be playing in a large US City.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I'm not sure on specific's in terms of when a "deal" will get done or where that end of the situation is at but I am aware that he is not interested in playing here and would rather be playing in a large US City.

That really sucks.
This is a pretty juicy nugget - gonna get some discussion. Probably worth moving this over to the Trouba thread.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Sucks ducks man! That has been the general feeling of many when it came to what was holding this up. I'd like to continue this discussion where it belongs but have no idea how to drag your original comment over to another thread.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
What is the absolute extreme end this could come to?

If the Jets are certain that Trouba's market value has been established and won't go over that what could hypothetically happen if they just take a 'take it or leave it' position? Long term.

Lets say Trouba sits out and the Jets say 'fine!'. How long could that go before Trouba has any rights with a team in the NHL other than the Jets? Is there value in the hard-nosed rep that Chevy would get in taking it to an extreme?

Picture it: Summer 2020. Some kid fresh off his ELC wants way more than he's worth. It'd be nice to have a rep where the agent has to say "kid, don't play that game with the Jets. Remember that Trouba character? His agent had him hold out and the Jets' offers didn't improve. Trouba played in the KHL for three seasons and never cracked an NHL roster again".

'ya see, these Trouba negotiations have me in a pissy mood.

m.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

How do you know that? All other reports seem to indicate that he doesnt mind it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad