Speculation: Trouba Contract Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Your talking likely. I'm talking possibly.

I agree with you that he almost certainly will sign first and then either be traded or not. However, considering that other GMs could talk contract with Overhardt they could have a tentative agreement, subject to the other team being able to arrange a trade. Not the most likely scenario but possible.

This is where I was going earlier. And instead of an offer sheet the Jets will match or losing more picks then preferred (especially from a team that isn't a lock for the playoffs) the 2 teams work out something trade wise that is more palatable to each side.

I still think Trouba ultimately signs long term with the Jets. I haven't seen anything other than a tough negotiation to suggest Trouba wants out.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
My preference would still be to sign Trouba and move one of Myers or Enstrom prior to expansion draft.

Trading Myers or Enstrom allows Trouba to be the clear #2 d man on Jets, now, and heir apparent to Buff's #1 role.

But Trouba's camp likely wants to be paid like he's already in that role, I agrue he already is, and Jets want a pay him less. I think the end game is the same, Jets want to get a discount, Imo. A Little or Wheeler contract discount.

If I was Trouba, I'd want more too. At least $5.25 -$5.5 mill on a 6 yr deal.

Enstrom is by a margin our best D , not to mention our only good LHD and unless he agrees has a contract which has no movements whatsoever.
If push comes to shove no issues moving Trouba afaiac

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Enstrom is by a margin our best D , not to mention our only good LHD and unless he agrees has a contract which has no movements whatsoever.
If push comes to shove no issues moving Trouba afaiac

Disagree. IMO, Enstrom's game is fading with age. His point production is well down, and his durability is a concern for me. In two years, i don't think he will be in the top 4.

Trouba can play the left side, and he is the only young dman we have that has shown top pairing ability to date. Morrissey and Stanley will be given opportunities to develop into NHL dmen, but they are not there yet and may never be.

If the Jets can sign Trouba to a 6+ year deal that stabilizes our d in many ways. If we don't sign him long term, we have Myers signed for 3 years and Buff for 5, and basically scraps in Postma, Stuart, Chiarot, Strait, Kichton, Melchiori, etc. Bottom pairing, PB or AHL calibre. Our other NHL d are not signed for more than 2 years and no guarantees they resign when their deals are up.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Disagree. IMO, Enstrom's game is fading with age. His point production is well down, and his durability is a concern for me. In two years, i don't think he will be in the top 4.

Trouba can play the left side, and he is the only young dman we have that has shown top pairing ability to date. Morrissey and Stanley will be given opportunities to develop into NHL dmen, but they are not there yet and may never be.

If the Jets can sign Trouba to a 6+ year deal that stabilizes our d in many ways. If we don't sign him long term, we have Myers signed for 3 years and Buff for 5, and basically scraps in Postma, Stuart, Chiarot, Strait, Kichton, Melchiori, etc. Bottom pairing, PB or AHL calibre. Our other NHL d are not signed for more than 2 years and no guarantees they resign when their deals are up.

Enstrom YMMV....
In any case IF Trouba doesn't want to be here not saying that's the case ...... It's always good to move
potential distractions .
This negotiation may be just good old fashioned hard bargaining who knows ?
My gut says it's being made long and drawn out for a reason.
I believe the org has gone on record saying they want a long term deal.
If a bridge is announced my guess is Trouba didn't want to be here.
My thought was/is he was going to bridge all along .

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Enstrom YMMV....
In any case IF Trouba doesn't want to be here not saying that's the case ...... It's always good to move
potential distractions .
This negotiation may be just good old fashioned hard bargaining who knows ?
My gut says it's being made long and drawn out for a reason.
I believe the org has gone on record saying they want a long term deal.
If a bridge is announced my guess is Trouba didn't want to be here.
My thought was/is he was going to bridge all along

I think that would be reading way too much into it. All it would mean was that they couldn't reach agreement on a long term deal. I think it would be a mistake to start ascribing any more than that to it. It could be one side or the other was being unreasonable .... so assume both were. That is on all issues, not just money.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I think that would be reading way too much into it. All it would mean was that they couldn't reach agreement on a long term deal. I think it would be a mistake to start ascribing any more than that to it. It could be one side or the other was being unreasonable .... so assume both were. That is on all issues, not just money.

Mort it's only a feeling of mine .
You are correct in saying there are more than 1 issue likely pressing.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think trouba and tnse know how long the off season is for us, so they just want to give us something to talk about for a couple of months.

Very thoughtful imo.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thank god Hampus Lindholm called the Ducks cheap and the main board has some new red meat to feed on. :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Did he really?

I've stayed away from the main boards as its one poor Trouba trade return after another.

Here's a (probably badly) translated version of the Swedish article:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...cup-med-frolunda-far-ta-med-mig-en-inhalator/

From our fearless moderator:

He definitely said cheap. More specifically, he said that Anaheim is one of the cheaper teams in the league. He also said that he could sign anything, but if he accept a shameful offer, he would set the bar low for everyone else.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
From our fearless moderator:

Well that's pretty funny! It certainly doesn't paint the Ducks in a great light.

I however think that there is a bigger issue at play here. I think we are seeing a group of young defenseman who are unhappy with how the market has been set the last few years. When was the last time we saw so any bridge deals to good up and coming defenseman in one offseason?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well that's pretty funny! It certainly doesn't paint the Ducks in a great light.

I however think that there is a bigger issue at play here. I think we are seeing a group of young defenseman who are unhappy with how the market has been set the last few years. When was the last time we saw so any bridge deals to good up and coming defenseman in one offseason?

My theory is that the Jets, Ducks and Sabres are working on 7-8 year deals for Trouba, Lindholm and Ristolainen. The market is set for 5-6 year contracts, but not for maximum length deals. These will be more complex to negotiate because it takes more projection in terms of the player's future role and where the salary structures will be that far out.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I've always thought the hitch here was in the last year or two as well, it wouldn't surprise me if each were waiting for one of the others to get things rolling.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My theory is that the Jets, Ducks and Sabres are working on 7-8 year deals for Trouba, Lindholm and Ristolainen. The market is set for 5-6 year contracts, but not for maximum length deals. These will be more complex to negotiate because it takes more projection in terms of the player's future role and where the salary structures will be that far out.

That's a good point. There really isn't any recent precident other than Ekblad set for young defenseman in that term range. It will be interesting to see how the domino's fall over the next week.

I think this also might be why Gudreau and Kucherov haven't been inked as there really isn't much of recently established market for elite wingers coming off their entry level deals.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
That's a good point. There really isn't any recent precident other than Ekblad set for young defenseman in that term range. It will be interesting to see how the domino's fall over the next week.

I think this also might be why Gudreau and Kucherov haven't been inked as there really isn't much of recently established market for elite wingers coming off their entry level deals.

Not many I agree. Tarasenko is one though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've always thought the hitch here was in the last year or two as well, it wouldn't surprise me if each were waiting for one of the others to get things rolling.

Agree. I kind of think that the Jets strategy was to sign Scheifele first, anticipating a smoother negotiation, and then hoping to slot Trouba a bit below Scheifele. However, Trouba's agent might be holding out for a deal a bit higher than that, based on their read of the market.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not many I agree. Tarasenko is one though.

I expect they are looking for Tarasenko money, and I can understand why the Flames and Bolts would find that high for those wingers. Will Gaudreau be that much more valuable than Scheifele or Monahan or Barkov?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

So many bridge deals? Ceci, Dumba, 2 years each, who else?
Long term; Connor Murphy, Ekblad, Jones, Rielly, Maata, Klefbom, Larsson, Hamilton, Klingberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad