Confirmed with Link: Trotz will not return as caps coach

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Why not? NYI pretty much accepted his 5x5 demand. Seems like it's what he really wanted.

There's no proof of this.

Friedman:
No one is expecting Lou Lamoriello to confirm anything...but word here in DAL is a five-year deal for Trotz at least $4M per year.

TSN:
TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reports Trotz is joining the team on a five-year deal worth more than $4 million annually.

If the contract were for $5m annually, they would have used that number. "More than" or "at least" could be $4,000,000.01. So he settled for perhaps nearly a million less than his ask of the Caps.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
wonder if he means the cup and the speculation that rierdan was calling the shots

What other interpretation could there be? This all points to them grooming Reirden, as they admitted, and believing Trotz would fail in his final year. BT knew this and never planned to return unless they paid him mad money, or at least market value for a Cup winning veteran HC. I'm not even sure he would've taken a wealthy deal unless it was clear the Caps brass were gorged on massive servings of crow.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
There's no way Reirden was "calling the shots." Trotz may have been compelled to use some of his proposals over his own, or something along those lines, but you can't watch any of the footage from the playoffs and conclude that Trotz was just a figurehead. He was in charge, but obviously knew he was being pushed out the door all year and that Reirden was favored. The exact details, their relationship, and how things specifically played out during the playoffs are what we don't but hopefully will at some point know.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The only way we may likely know for sure, is if Reirden at the helm introduces radically different systems / style than we have seen. We always hope to learn about what happens behind locker room doors across all sports, but those tell all novels just rarely to never get written.

Katie Carrera aside. Without her, we may still have George here trying to build a defense.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
The only way we may likely know for sure, is if Reirden at the helm introduces radically different systems / style than we have seen. We always hope to learn about what happens behind locker room doors across all sports, but those tell all novels just rarely to never get written.

Katie Carrera aside. Without her, we may still have George here trying to build a defense.

Professional (NHL-type) hockey is like an organized crime family ... alot of good ole boys who keep things within the group. [edit: like the far-reaching Patrick clan.] It seems like very little gets out regarding behind-the-scenes stuff, like questions of integrity, dirty dealing, backstabbing, tampering and the like. The concussion lawsuit is helping to reveal the nature of some of the relationships among those at the top. McKenzie's emails with league officials that came out a few years ago struck me as an example of, if not corruption, at least questionable practices. Anyway, back to your point, RH, it'll be interesting to see what changes TR institutes when he takes the helm. Apparently BMac wow'd them in his interview, talking about how he'd do things differently from GMGM. Maybe TR will do similar regarding the on-ice strategy.

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
Congrats to Barry. Dude deserves a payday and I’m in no mood to criticize his choice of team. I disagreed with him at times but god dammit he won a Cup and 2 Presidents Trophies in Washington so I’ll always fondly remember his time here.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This move came as a complete shock to me but at the end of the day this is a business and all parties involved are trying to make the most money they can. Barry had a chance to go to a new team that would pay him what he felt he was worth. I hope he does well...except when playing The Caps! Then he's public enemy one like everyone else on game day.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Don't feel bad for him, he and his new fans will have fun crawling up and down the LI Expressway, what with that backend they have there.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Makes you wonder what the sales pitch was from Lou for Trotz to jump at the first offer he got. Dude should have been more patient as he held all the cards. This is how I picture his reaction after Tavares signed with the Leafs:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Makes you wonder what the sales pitch was from Lou for Trotz to jump at the first offer he got. Dude should have been more patient as he held all the cards. This is how I picture his reaction after Tavares signed with the Leafs:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Probably this.
46XN5mN.gif

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
I have to admit that I was surprised to hear that Trotz resigned right after he coached the Caps to a Stanley Cup. Why did he resign right afterwards?

Sep 19, 2008
Money and job security

Caps didn't want to give him another 5 year term. There was a young coach being groomed to take his job. If the Caps extended him, Reirden probably leaves.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Money.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he felt disrespected by the organization, too. They let him dangle without an extension throughout 17-18, and it was an open secret Rierden was being groomed as a replacement.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
There was a clause in his contract that extended it I think 2 years for winning the Cup at his previous salary and he wanted to be paid like a Stanley Cup winning coach

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
I think the Trotz era might make an interesting chapter or two in a book written about the Capitals franchise during...say... the 'Ovi Era'. Im not saying it would have broad readership appeal, but I think most of us would put it on our Christmas lists. Of course, hopefully there are a few more chapters to play out before such a tome could be written... but yeah, I admit I wonder about things like 'why did GMGM do this, or that, and how did he last as long as he did?', and how did Trotz's final season really play out-behind the scenes..etc..etc.. not to mention some of Oates' era stuff as well. I could go on....we all could. I wouldnt want a 'full franchise history' type of a book, but rather one that focused on a particular era and the Ovi years would certainly work from most fans' perspective.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Really? I don't think it could be more obvious and I don't have to be a Caps insider to figure it out.

And good on him by the way. You are 57 years old, get that paper while you can. :clap:
Well in my opinion. I dont think the Caps wanted Trotz back and I'm pretty sure Trotz knew it. I am quite sure if Trotz had stayed he would have been fired shortly into the season and replaced by Reirdon. Trotz leaving was probably more about job security than money. This is what looks obvious to me.
Trotz was almost fired twice last season so you could guarantee it would have happened this season. Trotz did what was best for himself.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It was 2 years, but it also included a raise. Just not as much as he wanted. IINM, he also said that he wanted more autonomy.
It wasnt just about the money. The writing was on the wall. If Trotz decided to stay here, he was going to get fired. Do you guys not get it?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It was 2 years, but it also included a raise. Just not as much as he wanted. IINM, he also said that he wanted more autonomy.
The raise wouldn't keep him even remotely on pace with the ballooning of top coaches salaries since he signed his original contract, though. While he would have been paid more than some of the lower profile guys like Travis Green and Bob Boughner, he would have been making a fraction of what Claude Julien, Joel Queneville, and Todd McLellan make (let alone Babcock's ubercontract). He would have even been making less than the NCAA hires like Dave Hakstol and David Quinn.

Coaches - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad