Confirmed with Link: Trotz will not return as caps coach

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
The Caps did good by Trotz in accepting his resignation and, further, in allowing Lambert to meet and presumably negotiate with Trotz's new team. Trotz has to knock the Caps/their offer at least a bit, because if he doesn't, it's even more clear that his primary interest is the $$$. Plus, it helps to maintain the illusion (?) that he was behind the team's adjustments. Does Lou really know what he's buying?

Caps also benefit by cutting the ties with Trotz prior to the draft. To the extent that BMac wants Rierdon's input on needs/moves/etc, I'd expect TR to be more engaged if Trotz is formally gone and TR is anticipating getting the HC job.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
I dont understand the problem with a 5 year contract. He is only 55. Plus, he showed this season he was very willing to adjust. In the fi nals Gallant was the one that refused to adjust.

Regardless of Trotz's role in the adjustments, as many have observed, 4+5=9 years is a long time for a HC. Few have made it that long (iirc, only one coach currently has a 9-yr tenure). It's one thing if you're looking at paying a fired coach $1.8 mil for a year or two, but at $5 mil per, that's potentially big bucks to be flushing if you axe the guy 2 or 3 years in. Yikes!

Reactions: calicapsfan

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I dont understand the problem with a 5 year contract. He is only 55. Plus, he showed this season he was very willing to adjust. In the fi nals Gallant was the one that refused to adjust.

Maybe it was really Rear-done/Reirden/Rierdan/Reirdon/Weird-on who was really at the helm making the adjustments? Maybe that's why Trotz was so laid-back this year. He knew he was gone when they made 'the guy who's name no one can spell correctly' the Associate Coach and relieved Barry of some responsibilities? The most likely scenario to me: Caps won the Cup and Barry wasn't a key factor. If Barry was truly responsible for the team's success, GMBM would of recognized it and kept him.

Johannes de Silentio

Aug 6, 2015
Washington, D.C.
Is it at all possible that BMac and Lou were in contact before all of this stuff went public? Perhaps a handshake agreement about the Caps playing ball with this in exchange for some consideration on a potential Grubi trade.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Interviewing Reirden next week?? What is he, off the grid? Maybe BMac is having a hammock snooze marathon.

I would have liked to hear Reirden named a few hours after Barry was announced, if not before. So, we are going to the draft and starting UFA chat week without 2 assistants / no head coach.

I cannot be the only one that thinks the delay in naming him is odd, or meh PR at best. What more does Todd need to add to his resume? Maybe he has to interview well. I fear he wasn't the one pulling the strings all year after all. I sure hope he was, and that Gilligan got sort changed on the island.

Heh maybe Todd is playing hardball over you know what.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Interviewing Reirden next week?? What is he, off the grid? Maybe BMac is having a hammock snooze marathon.

I would have liked to hear Reirden named a few hours after Barry was announced, if not before. So, we are going to the draft and starting UFA chat week without 2 assistants / no head coach.

I cannot be the only one that thinks the delay in naming him is odd, or meh PR at best. What more does Todd need to add to his resume? Maybe he has to interview well. I fear he wasn't the one pulling the strings all year after all. I sure hope he was, and Gilligan got short changed.

Deep breaths, RH. In GMBM we trust. UFA chats started today. No Caps GM under Patrick has ever had carte blanche to hire the coach. (I grant you maybe they should.) And Trotz was Patrick's guy. So they have to do the interview, but BMac made it sound like a near-formality. Ovie and Nick are excited about Reirden, and that counts for a lot. They said the right things about Trotz, but neither sounded too broken up.

Last edited:

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
///I would have liked to hear Reirden named a few hours after Barry was announced, if not before. So, we are going to the draft and starting UFA chat week without 2 assistants / no head coach.///

I imagine Todd's their (BMac's) guy and the hard numbers/incl bonuses/term are details that need working out. Plus whatever sit-down with Dick/Ted before formalizing & announcing. If indeed TR had a major role in planning playoff strategy, then he is looking for a reward over & above the pay bump he got when named Under Assistant East Coast Promo Man. Hope it's not $5mx5.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I imagine Todd's their (BMac's) guy and the hard numbers/incl bonuses/term are details that need working out. Plus whatever sit-down with Dick/Ted before formalizing & announcing. If indeed TR had a major role in planning playoff strategy, then he is looking for a reward over & above the pay bump he got when named Under Assistant East Coast Promo Man. Hope it's not $5mx5.
Reirden is under contract. He doesn’t have a lot of leverage. Get promoted or get stuck working for someone else.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Maybe it was really Rear-done/Reirden/Rierdan/Reirdon/Weird-on who was really at the helm making the adjustments? Maybe that's why Trotz was so laid-back this year. He knew he was gone when they made 'the guy who's name no one can spell correctly' the Associate Coach and relieved Barry of some responsibilities? The most likely scenario to me: Caps won the Cup and Barry wasn't a key factor. If Barry was truly responsible for the team's success, GMBM would of recognized it and kept him.
That is the most asinine thing I have ever read. I guess that is why Mitch and company are following him to the island because they can't coach either. I wouldn't doubt if he does not sign with the Caps now..he can go anywhere and he is really in a no win situation here. All he can do is match Barry, without Barry and other staff. Sounds like a tall task.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That is the most asinine thing I have ever read. I guess that is why Mitch and company are following him to the island because they can't coach either. I wouldn't doubt if he does not sign with the Caps now..he can go anywhere and he is really in a no win situation here. All he can do is match Barry, without Barry and other staff. Sounds like a tall task.
The Caps have not let Mitch go yet, and anyway, he’s mostly retired. The only other guy who’s certain is Lambert. People aren’t just making this up.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
6 Figures!

We have the only coaching vacancy, so we have him over a barrel. I want him happy, not pissed like Barry appears to have been. Pay the man!

6 figures + 10% bonus for a cup win.

Ironically, Barry helped maintain an increasing bar for coaches, making negotiations with Reirden all the more difficult.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Reirden is under contract. He doesn’t have a lot of leverage. Get promoted or get stuck working for someone else.

I understand that line of reasoning. I don't think it's leverage as in threats, moreso a desire for fair compensation. Reirden's agent's response could be, "He's your pre-selected guy, most of the better (AHL, collegiate) options have been picked up by other teams, he knows these guys and they're expecting him to get the job. Give him a reasonable raise and term and he's in."

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
What if he decides he does not want to be the Caps head coach. The previous one did nothing but win and was basically fired. What will their arrogant butts do to him if he is middle of the pack next year?
I have no idea what you’re talking about. They’ve been grooming him to take over for at least a year.

I understand that line of reasoning. I don't think it's leverage as in threats, moreso a desire for fair compensation. Reirden's agent's response could be, "He's your pre-selected guy, most of the better (AHL, collegiate) options have been picked up by other teams, he knows these guys and they're expecting him to get the job. Give him a reasonable raise and term and he's in."
And I think they will. I don’t think 5x$5 is reasonable tho.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad