Confirmed with Link: Trotz will not return as caps coach

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Fair enough. I think that goes to show how deep the split lied with the staff. I'd like to learn a lot more about it from the local reporters. It seems like there's more that they know than what's been written to date.

Frankly, it also looks more and more like BMac did the right thing by everyone. Didn't make a fuss and let these guys go before they had any real right to.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I realize it shouldn't but all this negativity coming out from Trotz sure feels like a gut punch to the organization.
usp_nhl__stanley_cup_final-washington_capitals_at_100450889.jpg

You can gut punch that all day long....aint changing a f***ing thing.

Champions!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Lambert also worked with the forwards (forwards + PK is a pretty typical assistant coaching assignment).

Any word on if Trotz is gonna try to lure Korn up to Brooklyn?

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I honestly don't care where he goes: Isles, Rangers, Ducks or Canucks.
I wanted him gone for 2 years and now I'm free! :propeller

The only reason, I believe, he wasn't fired during the regular season was because of his situation at home. Remember when Caps were dead last in the league in SOG, turtled for 2 periods per game and almost fell outta the playoffs because he kept putting out "Holthree" and then pulled him game after game instead of putting in the great back-up G to begin with? He should be thanking his lucky stars instead of whining!

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
trotz said hes probably taking lane lambert with him. what was lambert coaching?
They released Trotz from his contract but did they also release Lane Lambert or does his contract run through to July 1?

Nevermind, hadn't read through the entire thread. See where they also gave the okay to Lambert to go ahead.

Have to give credit to the Capitals organization as they did a nice thing for both Trotz and the Islanders. They could of just pretended to continue to negotiate with Trotz right up to July 1 and the job opportunity may not have been available by that time. As such BMAC obviously knew that Trotz would not be in the Caps plans but wanted to give him an opportunity to pursue another coaching position as soon as possible. Not sure that some other organizations or GMs would be as thoughtful.

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
It's like there's a bit of the Kirk Cousins "you like that"/how can you not like me now thing going. If you're Barry right before the playoffs start, you might think "I've been here 4 years, we're a playoff team every year, losing to an eventual Cup finalist or Cup champ in the 2nd round every year. It's not total success, but it's not failure either. But I'm not getting any benefit of the doubt from these guys, no matter what I do." And that is sorta how it's gone down - and maybe that's not a bad thing. I can't say for sure, because I don't have a window into everything that happened.

But I think there's actually still a pretty strong residue from losing to the Pens in 16-17 when you had Crosby out a couple of games and a pretty ordinary Pens defense. Like, players and people inside the organization had decided that that loss was as much (if not mostly) a failure of coaching as anything else, and that Barry was never going to get off the hook for that. Recall Ted saying this year when we finally beat them that it should have already happened. So, it's great that we won this year, but we're not going to forget that we maybe should have been in that position in 14-15 and 16-17. And BMac kept emphasizing this year that Trotz's demeanor wasn't as tight and pinched, and that that was good for the club - again more evidence that management had formed a view of Barry that they weren't going to let go of completely even with the Cup win. Again, can't totally blame them for that.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Sounds to me like someone is butt hurt that he didn't get the credit for the players finally manning up and getting it done. At least partially. I mean, look, you got it done dude. You likely deserved a raise. But not another 5 years here.

Plus Ive heard rumblings that he wasnt the one to adjust the system to deal with other teams speed. So whatever.

Thanks man. Have fun with the NY media.
I dont understand the problem with a 5 year contract. He is only 55. Plus, he showed this season he was very willing to adjust. In the fi nals Gallant was the one that refused to adjust.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I dont understand the problem with a 5 year contract. He is only 55. Plus, he showed this season he was very willing to adjust. In the fi nals Gallant was the one that refused to adjust.

I did see one adjustment. He sat Reaves. But I actually thought their 4th line was their best line the first 2 or 3 games. The only line with an identity. Sure it's Reaves but he was hardly a liability, and smart enough to try to take advantage of the predictable lax playoff penalty calling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad