Confirmed with Link: Trotz will not return as caps coach

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Maybe we can help them solidify their back end with an Orpik+Grubauer for 12th OA trade. They could use a two-time Cup winner to guide their defense now. Anyways, good for Barry, but he will be under a bigger microscope now. I bet they won't make the playoffs next year. I'll try to bump this post whether I'm right or wrong, but my prediction is they miss they cut narrowly again.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What wasn't sincere? Winning the Cup or the negotiations? If it's the negotiations, no ****. That's what we've been saying all along. GMBM thought the future of this team was better off with Rierden and made an attempt to keep Trotz at a team-friendly rate because he had to.

wonder if he means the cup and the speculation that rierdan was calling the shots

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
so sounds like barry didnt feel like he did anything with caps, "wasn't sincere what they did together"

I think this is in regards to contract negotiations. Meaning, if the Caps really wanted Barry, they would have negotiated and increased the offer after the Cup win. Sounds like GMBM wasn't really interested in bringing him back and knew Barry would turn down 20% raise making the split more amicable in appearance.

Good luck fish stix...you'll need it.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
sounds like caps didnt even wanna negotiate. he tried to negotiate and as soon as he did the caps said bye

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Sounds to me like someone is butt hurt that he didn't get the credit for the players finally manning up and getting it done. At least partially. I mean, look, you got it done dude. You likely deserved a raise. But not another 5 years here.

Plus Ive heard rumblings that he wasnt the one to adjust the system to deal with other teams speed. So whatever.

Thanks man. Have fun with the NY media.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I continue to feel that this reflects way worse on Trotz than on the Caps, and those comments only make it worse IMO. He negotiated a deal that was predicated on winning a Cup and then when he won a Cup, even though it increasingly seems like he didn't even really drive the bus, the team was ready to honor that agreement and maybe even improve it, but he made a stink. I get that from his perspective, he was pissed about not driving the bus, but they were gonna let him stay on as HC, give him a raise, and possibly repeat as SC champion and he was unsatisfied.

I'm happy for him that he'll get paid. I doubt he has much post-season success on Long Island, and honestly, I don't think, as some others have said, that he'll have that long a leash. Lou has been brought in to right the ship after the team 's repeated playoff failures/missing this year. There's clearly a demand to make progress, and I'm not sure Barry's the guy to do that, especially given the roster.

And as I related note, I don't see this as being comparable to what went on in Toronto. Shanahan brought Lou in to oversee a legit rebuild. No way Tavares is signing on for that. The goal has to be retool and compete/contend, all of which feels like not Barry's forte. I mean, I guess it's similar to what went on here in DC, but I'm increasingly convinced that BT isn't the guy who really got this team over the hump. He was a factor, obviously, but not the tactical leader.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
We have no proof that he wasn’t calling the shots. A lot of us just speculated

He is head coach after all. BUT I do find it weird after 20+ years of coaching a specific style he then now all the sudden switches?

Especially his first 3 years here

But again, just speculation

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
Sounds like everybody was ready to move on way back in April. The team just happened to win this year so now shit is complicated

But once the champagne dried up, Trotz was like “pay me ALL the money” (knowing they wouldn’t) and the Caps were like “K bye”

Sucks but it is business on both sides

And we won the Cup

And we are returning mostly the same roster.

I’m cool.

Thanks Barry. You’re a GOAT in this city

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
We have no proof that he wasn’t calling the shots. A lot of us just speculated

He is head coach after all. BUT I do find it weird after 20+ years of coaching a specific style he then now all the sudden switches?

Especially his first 3 years here

But again, just speculation
It's not just us. It's been discussed in the media as well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I know Lambert's basically gone but that's still tampering.

I get that Trotz has had to eat a lot of shit the past year only to at least outwardly be redeemed but I don't sense much gratitude. So it goes I guess.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I know Lambert's basically gone but that's still tampering.

I get that Trotz has had to eat a lot of **** the past year only to at least outwardly be redeemed but I don't sense much gratitude. So it goes I guess.

2 things:
-they let him out of the contract scott free, which allowed him to make the 20m contract work....
-they allowed him to finish the contract in the first place, and not fire him. Which would have been easy to do. Obv it all worked out, but I think many management teams would have fired him in a few instances (post loss to Pens -- 2nd time; low points during the season, etc)

Reactions: calicapsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad