Confirmed with Link: Trocheck traded to Carolina for Haula, Walmark, and prospects Luostarinen & Priskie

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Haula and Wallmark, as much as we needed more players like them on this roster, they don't move the needle for me this year, and since there's a good chance Haula doesn't re-sign, it's very possible we're sitting here with only Wallmark next season.

Haula and Wallmark are not winning us a cup this year, I hate to say it.

Haula's agend dad has told Finnish tv that they want to resign with Florida and are looking for a long contract. He also told that he has a house near Tampa. So Sunrise is a convenient location for him too. He thinks that Erik is probably going to be 2nd center
Haulalle tarjolla Floridassa kakkossentterin rooli: "Jos eivät nyt juttele, tuskin ovat kiinnostuneita jatkosopimuksesta"

Reactions: RealHumanBean

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Just read from the Carolina board:

From LeBrun’s latest:

The Hurricanes weren’t alone bidding on Skjei. The Florida Panthers would have loved to get their hands on him. That was their focus the rest of the day after making their deal with Carolina. They were desperate to find a top-four, left-side D who was not a rental player.
The problem, according to two sources, was that Florida was trying to make a dollar-in, dollar-out trade (I think Mike Matheson was offered) in exchange for Skjei. That didn’t make much sense for a Rangers team that was only dealing Skjei away for salary cap reasons after signing Chris Kreider to an extension and looking ahead to offseason, cap-related decisions.

Matheson being offered left and right lol. I wonder how he responds to that.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Never Forget

Tro.jpg

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Just read from the Carolina board:

Matheson being offered left and right lol. I wonder how he responds to that.

We really missed out on this guy. Of all the names traded yesterday this is the guy I wanted most. I'm not sure why Tallon wouldn't part with a draft pick to make it work.

Reactions: harv33173

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
We really missed out on this guy. Of all the names traded yesterday this is the guy I wanted most. I'm not sure why Tallon wouldn't part with a draft pick to make it work.

I'm not sure why Dale and the Calculator would even consider Skjei when they already have one in Math. As far as the next dman acquisition is concerned... go big or go to the nursing home, Dale. 1st + Noel + Koly + Pysyk for Brodin + Staal.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

Seems like Tallon wanted to move salary out. Goes with what has been speculated about a budget cut. On the other hand we have a ton of money tied in the back-end already, could be just that.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Seems like Tallon wanted to move salary out. Goes with what has been speculated about a budget cut. On the other hand we have a ton of money tied in the back-end already, could be just that.

he had to move Cap out otherwise he couldnt add another Top4 Defensman and re-sign him. That what you are after when you bring in a player on TDL. Trade + re-sign by a wish candidate. that usual but only giving up Picks wouldnt give him the option.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I also never said I didn't like Pysyk as a forward, but on the 2nd line? No thanks.

well, that's a little bit of accountability. pysyk is working hard and producing and Connelly wasn't. it's more about Connelly, imo.

been a while since we've seen 1st and 2nd liners demoted to 4th line. i like it.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Canes GM on Hockey Central up here and Jeff Marek yet again "stunned and shocked" that FLA moved Trocheck.

His analytics came up again and underlying numbers were a big reason along with the right hand shot, term and age.
Jeff forget TOR traded Kadri who had similar production/contract?

Don wanted Trocheck a year ago.
Dale said no.
It's becoming more and more obvious these "analysts" only watch Leafs games and don't know shit about 80% of NHL players.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I never ripped on him. The criticism was always unfair. Too many people looked at his 75 point season and had expectations that it would continue, then he regressed (due to injury, lost confidence, whatever you want to pin it on) and everyone jumped on him. He's still a good player, just not where he was in 17-18.
Based on the conversations we've had in GDTs over the years, I don't feel the 75pts season is what people are drooling over. He was already declining and changing his playing style at that point, through injuries and mentally.

The majority of us fell in love with him during the run to the 2016 playoffs, that was prime Trocheck to me. As some of you may remember, I was if not the biggest, one of the biggest Trocheck critics here (which can partly be blamed on watching a certain up-coming perennial Selke candidate playing in the same line-up), up to around the TDL that year. Trocheck became a regular around November/December, I think? Before that the effort and skill was there, but he had the same defensive brainfarts that we all know too well from recent years. Then something clicked, I don't know what happened, Jokinen maybe got to him? Anyway he stopped puck watching and became a really good 2-way player overnight, IMO challenging Smith and Jokinen for 2nd place. I was skeptical at first, he'd shown flashes the previous season, but ultimately I had to admit that he'd changed. That 2nd half of the 2015-16 season Trocheck was awesome. Then that ankle injury happened, rushing back to play in the playoffs may have affected him to this day, who knows. 2016-17 was optional Rowe defence, I feel this planted the idea of focusing on offense to him. 2017-18 was a great season points wise, but he was already putrid defensively back then. And well, we all know the rest.

As much as I hated Trocheck's stupid decisions at both ends of the rink and tendency to play hero ball puck, I still hope he can turn it around, because that 2015-16 Trocheck was a treat to watch. If he can become even 75% of that player, that's a good 2C on most teams. With that said, do I think that's likely to happen? Nope.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I was pumped for the first time in a long time when I heard Walmark was one of the players. He’s really stood out to me as a “plays the right way” systems guy.

Regarding Tro being a 2nd line C, as a borderline one full of critical turnovers and lack of passing skills, if Haula is a 3C then I say we’re better off having a 3C with less point production but better winger involvement and defense. Then his line mates can become real second liners.

Reactions: harv33173

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Also, if you watch Tro’s 31G season again, he gets about 5 from empty netters and another 6-7 from low angle shots. Not taking them away from him but I think they boosted his goal totals a bit artificially.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Canes fan coming to say that I think Florida did well in the deal.
You might be disappointed in Haula. He could work well with Huberdeau on the power play because he complements an excellent passer. His strength is deflecting pucks near the net. My big issue was that his passing is average at best, I can only remember him setting up a winger three times all season.

Wallmark will work hard every shift. I have often said he might well end up a 45-50 point player. In both the SHL and AHL he dramatically increased his scoring each season. I went to see a Checkers game when Wallmark was in the AHL and what impressed me is that he was talking to the coaches or line mates every time he came off the ice.

The big surprise will be Luostarinen. He is ready to be a 4C now and could end up like Wallmark being a 40 point player. He has size, nice hands, and is really smart in transition.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Canes fan coming to say that I think Florida did well in the deal.

I appreciate your thoughts. Haula probably won't get first unit PP time unfortunately, so his value there will be limited.

Glad to read that Wallmark is an effort guy. That's kind of exactly what we need right now.

Reactions: Boothinator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad