Trevor Timmins Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not sure who suggested t hat....but it makes no sense to put a number on a draft pick based on where he was drafted. I understand the idea, I mean picking no1 you have no merit, hence you should just get 1 point for picking right at 1st....but should you really get 79 points for O'Byrne, while Nashville only gets 49 points for Weber? Of course not. So we should probalby just issue points to real top guys chosen, forgetting the O,Byrne and Lapierre of this world. Thing is...what is the number from which we decide is a great player or not? Number of games? Number of points? Points per game? I mean, Lee Stempniak had 469 points...do you add him to the list? So St.Louis will then get 148 pionts for Stempniak, yet again Nashville gets 49 for Weber? That's not fair either.

Funny enough... havent had a player perform well in the AHL aside from Scherbak, under Sly. Now under Bouchars Evans, Vejdemo, McCarron, Lindgren and Fleury are doing good.

Either Timmins drafted well since 2013 or Timmins always drafted well but we had ****e development.

McCarron is developing nicely? LIndgren is at .894....how is that developing great? You don't want to wait for Fleury? Vejdemo? Well he is fine....but to already have him in the list of success? Evans? Sure. Doing much better than anticipated.

Don't look but Scherbak had 30 points in 26 games with Lefebvre.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
McCarron is developing nicely? LIndgren is at .894....how is that developing great? You don't want to wait for Fleury? Vejdemo? Well he is fine....but to already have him in the list of success? Evans? Sure. Doing much better than anticipated.

Aside from scherbak, do you read?

Also, if you caught a few games you know Lindgren has been great. You know Fleury has been the best D on that squad, you know Vejdemo has picked it up and McCarron has changed his style of play.

McCarron was never a good pick, but it doesmt sound like a Timmins pick anyway.

Not sure who suggested t hat....but it makes no sense to put a number on a draft pick based on where he was drafted. I understand the idea, I mean picking no1 you have no merit, hence you should just get 1 point for picking right at 1st....but should you really get 79 points for O'Byrne, while Nashville only gets 49 points for Weber? Of course not. So we should probalby just issue points to real top guys chosen, forgetting the O,Byrne and Lapierre of this world. Thing is...what is the number from which we decide is a great player or not? Number of games? Number of points? Points per game? I mean, Lee Stempniak had 469 points...do you add him to the list? So St.Louis will then get 148 pionts for Stempniak, yet again Nashville gets 49 for Weber? That's not fair either.
Top 9 and top 4, goalie with at least a few 40 games season.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Funny enough... havent had a player perform well in the AHL aside from Scherbak, under Sly. Now under Bouchars Evans, Vejdemo, McCarron, Lindgren and Fleury are doing good.

Either Timmins drafted well since 2013 or Timmins always drafted well but we had ****e development.
You draft for the NHL not the AHL. Timmins hasn't drafted OR developed dick-all for the NHL since 2008.

McCarron was never a good pick, but it doesmt sound like a Timmins pick anyway.
So convenient for Timmins that fans pass the buck for him, for free, on the internet.

A bad pick like Leblanc, Tinordi, or McCarron isn't his fault - it wasn't his pick. A bad development trajectory like Beaulieu or Scherbak isn't his fault - they had bad attitudes.

Maybe Subban and Pacioretty weren't his picks either, some faceless scout or GM chose them and they developed only due to their good attitudes. Why bother with having a chief scout anyway? No one's responsible for nothing apparently.

Reactions: bsl

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You draft for the NHL not the AHL. Timmins hasn't drafted OR developed dick-all for the NHL since 2008.
Gallagher, Juulsen, Mete, Brook, Galchenyuk, Sergachev, Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Lindgren, DLR.

Dick-all.

Its also convenient to leave out his best hits.

How is Timmins developing?

Yet again, so you really give 148 points to Stempniak while you only give Weber 49???
I dont know. Theres a few problems, too, as draftint 10th overall is a great opportunity, but it is usually wide open.

So convenient for Timmins that fans pass the buck for him, for free, on the internet.

A bad pick like Leblanc, Tinordi, or McCarron isn't his fault - it wasn't his pick. A bad development trajectory like Beaulieu or Scherbak isn't his fault - they had bad attitudes.

Maybe Subban and Pacioretty weren't his picks either, some faceless scout or GM chose them and they developed only due to their good attitudes. Why bother with having a chief scout anyway? No one's responsible for nothing apparently.
Leblanc and Tinordi were good picks. Ive followed both players career until their demise, they were both future NHL player until they started to get tossed around by Therrien.

Beaulieu was a nice shot at a good D, but he was not properly developped either and had a severe case of a lack of IQ.

Scherbak had no problems of attitude, but he was badly managed. Sly had him playing center while coming back from injury. On the topic of injuries, Scherback clearly was derailed by injuries. Should Timmins have foresight?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Yeah, somehow McCarron the big guy that hits and looks strong wasn't a Timmins pick 'cause you know...those types of picks that's not him yet....who picked Tinordi? That other big guy that is big and hits? I guess ANOTHER one of not Timmins pick. Surely another Churla pick before Churla was here. Probably was passing close to the Habs table and Timmins heard him talking loudly about Tinordi....

I dont know. Theres a few problems, too, as draftint 10th overall is a great opportunity, but it is usually wide open.

Well the answer is that it makes no sense to give Stempniak 148 points despite him being a MUCH better pick than whatever filler we drafted during that year including Lapierre and Co. Actually...it's a much better pick than Andrei Kostitsyn. Pints per game are fun, but longevity is also important. You cannot drool over a draft that happened 15 years ago and see that a player retired 7 years ago....

Leblanc and Tinordi were good picks. Ive followed both players career until their demise, they were both future NHL player until they started to get tossed around by Therrien.

Beaulieu was a nice shot at a good D, but he was not properly developped either and had a severe case of a lack of IQ.

Scherbak had no problems of attitude, but he was badly managed. Sly had him playing center while coming back from injury. On the topic of injuries, Scherback clearly was derailed by injuries. Should Timmins have foresight?

No but it seems that you do and it makes no sense man. I'm sorry. You following a player's path has nothing to do with what their ceiling will be. Leblanc quit hockey. Leblanc wanted more to be at Harvard than to play hockey. When they forced him to join the Q, that's where it got f***ed up....but not because they f***ed him up, but because it's clearly wasn't his goal in life. And you just see his interest by quitting at such a young age. Tinordi was NOT the best d-man in his own team. Tinordi looked always better because he was always bigger. Those are the toughest to judge but somehow you were able to analyse that? And since D-men takes a long time to adjust, why couldn't Tinordi get it going more once he was traded? Why isn't Beaulieu able to? 'Cause they were all f***ed up by the almighty Lefebvre? Wow, I know man, he wasn't good...but you give him WAY too much importance. And the only reason you do that is to NOT give Timmins the bashing he deserves. People talk, as an example, that it's clearly it was Lefebre as Timmins scouting was better from 03 to 07 without Lefebvre....but it makes no sense.

In 2003, no players in there were good enough to be proclaimed as A PRODUCT of great drafting. Are we really going to talk about Max Lapierre? I hope not. ¸And if people bring Halak....well can you imagine if Lefebvre would have benched Halak in a playoffs to make room for Price what we would have said for Halak's development???
2004: EMelin never played in the farm. Grabs had 1 good season, maybe he was a product. Streit never played in the farm. So 2 out of 3 never played in the farm.
2005: If Price was a product of a farm team, it's because of Gainey. Not because of the coach, Gainey told them to play Carey in the playoffs. But there is NO way that Price became the goalie he was because of the teaching in the farm team....Lats never saw the farm. D'Agostini might be a product of the farm team....and then died down as fast as he was brought up...are we really going to talk about D'Ago as a proof of a great development? SKost never played so much in the farm. Not a lot. Not enough to be a product of
2006: So Ryan White could be a product of our farm team....yet....he was a good scorer at the Juniors level....so was his development good? Or did it transform him a plugger?
2007: McDonagh never saw our farm team. We could probably say that Pacioretty was a farm team product despite not being there too long....but he was asking for it to get his confidence going. Would his confidence be shattered with Lefebvre? Was Subban a product of a farm team? Or he has in him to be a NHL product no matter who would have been coaching? Yanick Weber might be a farm team product...but are we really going to talk about him?

So in conclusion....there is just NO proofs that the development in our farm team was so great back then. And that suddenly everything post Lefebvre is Lefebvre problems and not Timmins.

Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Gallagher, Juulsen, Mete, Brook, Galchenyuk, Sergachev, Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Lindgren, DLR.

Dick-all.

Its also convenient to leave out his best hits.

How is Timmins developing?
Not one of those players hit even 60 points in the NHL. Not one of them, not once. Gallagher is at his peak right now, just under a 55 point pace - but he's a 5th rounder and a good player. Juulsen is a nobody so far. Mete is in the AHL. Brook has never played a pro game. Lehkonen is a 3rd line winger. Lindgren is a nobody. DLR is a nobody.

Leaving Sergachev, Galchenyuk, and Kotkaniemi. All top10 picks, two top3 picks - not one has hit 60 points. In TEN YEARS. Maybe in the future we can be graced with a 3rd overall pick who manages to score 60 points. How lucky we'd be.

You're also the guy who calls Saku Koivu an elite C. lol

So every bust was mishandled or unlucky. How convenient.

Reactions: CapSpace

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not one of those players hit even 60 points in the NHL. Not one of them, not once. Gallagher is at his peak right now, just under a 55 point pace - but he's a 5th rounder and a good player. Juulsen is a nobody so far. Mete is in the AHL. Brook has never played a pro game. Lehkonen is a 3rd line winger. Lindgren is a nobody. DLR is a nobody.

Leaving Sergachev, Galchenyuk, and Kotkaniemi. All top10 picks, two top3 picks - not one has hit 60 points. In TEN YEARS. Maybe in the future we can be graced with a 3rd overall pick who manages to score 60 points. How lucky we'd be.

You're also the guy who calls Saku Koivu an elite C. lol

So every bust was mishandled or unlucky. How convenient.
Not at all. Collberg is a bust because he busted. Fucale was never good. DLR while not an outright bust, never had great upside, Crisp was a terrible pick, Lernout was a terrible pick, Tinordi was picked too high and they even moved ip for it, but he was still a good player. See how I can do concessions but the "reeeee timmins sux" cannot? You just belittled the Gallagher pick for chrisg sakes.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Not at all. Collberg is a bust because he busted. Fucale was never good. DLR while not an outright bust, never had great upside, Crisp was a terrible pick, Lernout was a terrible pick, Tinordi was picked too high and they even moved ip for it, but he was still a good player. See how I can do concessions but the "reeeee timmins sux" cannot? You just belittled the Gallagher pick for chrisg sakes.
YOU listed DLR, not me. YOU referred to DLR as "[Timmins'] Best Hits", not me.

I never belittled Gallagher, I think you should read my posts and your own again.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I wouldn't put Timmins in the best category, but I wouldn't put him in the worst either. Like most Head Scouts (or Directors of Amateur Scouting) he's had his hits and misses. Now, was he influenced by his GM's for some of those questionable picks? Maybe. Nobody knows. The picks between 2008-2014 probably set this team back a few years. I wouldn't necessarily blame him for the 2nd-7th round picks as those are always somewhat of a gamble, and he has found a few late round players, but his late first round picks were average (even below average) at best. To be one of the best, you have to find NHLers (with talent) even in the 20's with more consistency.

The last few year have been better (since 2015) but I guess we'll see the results in a few years.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think Timmins fell in love with gym rats there for a while. Which hurt some of his picks. I noticed he seemed bias towards them in interviews. Last 3 drafts he seemed to have corrected that

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Imagine being in 2009 and posters fervently defending Houles scouting team based on the '98 draft that got Markov, Beauchemin, Ryder and Ribeiro.
Well TBH thats a f***ing great draft.

He also drafted Robidas, Garon, Asham, Hainsey, Plekanec and Komisarek, so I d say he was fine there, no? Those players in 6 years?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Well TBH thats a ****ing great draft.

He also drafted Robidas, Garon, Asham, Hainsey, Plekanec and Komisarek, so I d say he was fine there, no? Those players in 6 years?

I'd say they got rightly criticized for making awful choices.

Plekanec and Komisarek werent Houle picks.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd say they got rightly criticized for making awful choices.

Plekanec and Komisarek werent Houle picks.
Right. I just saw he was fired in november.

Still, out of five drafts if you come out with a top 5 D, a top pairing D, two top 4 D, a first line C, a first line W, a 4th line W and a Journeyman G... gotta say its pretty good.

Its similar to 2007 but add in a first line C amd two top four Ds. I see they swung and missed on a lot of their high picks though, so that may warrant criticism.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

True

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Hudon was great while playing for Lefebvre.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
how so ? did Poehlig made it to the NHL yet ? did he play a single NHL game ? or just a pro game even ?
and considering Juulsen has yet to show he can be more than a bottom pair D on a regular basis, how is he a hit ?

is it cause they're both Habs prospects and thus are automatic hits ? until they're busts obviously...

so, you think it's fair to wait on both, but yet have no problem saying they're both hits ? so you can say they're hits right now or not ?

I believe Poehling is a middle 2 center in the NHL. Quote me on this later on if he fails.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
nothing to quote, they're Habs prospect, thus guaranteed hits.

Didn't say guaranteed hits. You are trying to create this narrative. I'm saying Poehling and Juulsen are 1st round hits (It's my opinion). I feel comfortable saying Poehling will be a middle 2C in a year or two. So yeah, you can quote me later if he fails.

Guaranteed: You said this not me.

Future projection: I'm saying it now and many believe Poehling is a middle 2C.

I'll twist it on you using your own rules... When Poehling is a middle 2C in a year or two, I will say this to you... You thought he would bust! haha

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Didn't say guaranteed hits. You are trying to create this narrative. I'm saying Poehling and Juulsen are 1st round hits (It's my opinion). I feel comfortable saying Poehling will be a middle 2C in a year or two. So yeah, you can quote me later if he fails.

I'll twist it on you using your own rules... When Poehling is a middle 2C in a year or two, I will say this to you... You thought he would bust! haha
Yet you declared this player, who havent played a single pro game in his life a hit... you contributed a lot to said "narrative".

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

difference between the two of us, I don't pretend to know the future and declare players who have yet to play a single pro game in their life hits/miss.

Not even sure you ever saw Polig play anyway, I wouldnt be surprised to learn you never watch a minute of Polig yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad