Trevor Timmins Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kotkaniemi is an exceptional talent. Not Crosby or McDavid, but a potential star-player in the making.

All I'm willing to commit to at this stage in future predictions is I think he is a safe #2C. #1C? Time will tell. He has a lot of areas to improve on.

Let me ask you this. Were you more or less happy with Galchenyuk vs Kotkaniemi in their 1st NHL seasons? Be honest.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not sure who is emotionnally invested. How many games have you seen? I watch all of those guys play except Romanov. Did you?

Who cares where McShane was chosen. Was your question...Tell me which picks that were picked top 2 rounds look bad? Or which picks have bad years? Do you actually know that was is discussed right now is NOT where they will be in 5 years but what we are seeing today? You don't realize that for most players even the ones chosen in the 4th or after that, that the NORM is that a guy who happens to be almost PPG in his draft year happens to be scoring at a higher level than that? That's the norm? Do you not know that? WE are talking about what they should do in juniors. We are talking about what we see now. It has nothing to do with projections to bash whoever.

Why didn't I say the stuff about Romanov? 'Cause I keep saying till we knew he'd make it. Old news. Point was about the fact that chosen where he was, you'd wish some points. But playing in the KHL is a huge accomplishment. Said it 1000 times. You want proofs? Challenge me.

Olofsson statswise is dissapointing. He is. To this day. You ask who has a bad year but I have to talk about what he will do in 2 weeks. And let's see how he does!!!!. Do you hate or not used to people answering your questions?

Gorniak? Who are you talking about? How can you evaluate that his play in the NCAA is just as good as what Milos Roman does? Or what Kurashev is doing? Or what Mac Hollowell is doing? Who are you talking about?

And the basis of my argument was ONLY to prove that if we need to be careful with bad years, we need to stop projecting on good years. We can be happy about it. But if you can't call a player a bust after 1 year....you can't call a guy has a key player when he hasn't prooved it yet.

In the end , what matters is how they develop for what they'Ll do in the NHL. Still, in order to make it, you need stats. From defensive players to offensive players. And you need an upgrade over your draft year. That's the norm.
Every body is doing bad when you look hard enough. You're so invested in the conversation that you look for them to fail, thats just confirmation bias. Put your Timmins hate aside for once and evaluate the players as if they were drafted by the holy grail of scouts that you are looking for, then youll see a budding prospect pool.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am too. Second rounders for Shaw was a killer. But who knows what Timmins would had drafted ? He liked Girard, but had Bitten very high on his list too... Sergachev should had been a keeper.

We need to target assets that other teams are targeting. Size/Strength/Skill/Skating. If one or more is missing, buyer be ware. Sometimes when you get to the later part of the 1st round and beyond, you have to measure how much value is put on a prospect who lacks certain qualities. Habs have drafted either the Safe, Small but with skill, or Size with limited skill types far to often.

Go after skill and skating first but be careful with lack of strength. Strength is an important ingredient cause we all know Junior players who struggle once they have less time and space after turning pro.

Jul 6, 2016
All I'm willing to commit to at this stage in future predictions is I think he is a safe #2C. #1C? Time will tell. He has a lot of areas to improve on.

Let me ask you this. Were you more or less happy with Galchenyuk vs Kotkaniemi in their 1st NHL seasons? Be honest.

To be honest. I like them both equally, but Kotkaniemi is definitely showing he is a real centerman while Galchy always gave me that feeling he was best suited for a wing. Even If they are both sheltered on a 3rd line, Kotkaniemi has more responsabilities to handle than Galchy had. + This year is a regular 82 games season, not a lock out shortened one.

For me, Kotkaniemi has overall better hockey IQ than Galchy wil never have. He is a Bobby Smith in the making.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To be honest. I like them both equally, but Kotkaniemi is definitely showing he is a real centerman while Galchy always gave me that feeling he was best suited for a wing. Even If they are both sheltered on a 3rd line, Kotkaniemi has more responsabilities to handle than Galchy had. + This year is a regular 82 games season, not a lock out shortened one.

I can't say for sure how much I liked one vs the other in their first season. But I do agree with you on Kotkaniemi and his ability to be a productive and reliable center. The key here is how much he can improve from where he is at today. It's anybodies guess. Most of us thought Galchenyuk would mature faster than he did. Heck, how much better today is he from when he was 18/19? Most would agree he is stalled development in his early 20's. He's just too hard to coach cause he don't seem to be committed to listen to what the coaches are saying. It feels different with Kotkaniemi

Jul 6, 2016
I can't say for sure how much I liked one vs the other in their first season. But I do agree with you on Kotkaniemi and his ability to be a productive and reliable center. The key here is how much he can improve from where he is at today. It's anybodies guess.

The kid was playing with men in Finland last season. he is the youngest player at NHL level this season. He is already way, way better than when he started at rookie Camp back in September. His progression is awesome. With few ponuds more and muscles he will become a top six centerman for sure, possibly a top 1st line center.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad