Trevor Timmins Discussion Part III

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by yianik, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TooLegitToQuit

TooLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    All I'm willing to commit to at this stage in future predictions is I think he is a safe #2C. #1C? Time will tell. He has a lot of areas to improve on.

Let me ask you this. Were you more or less happy with Galchenyuk vs Kotkaniemi in their 1st NHL seasons? Be honest.

2. Mrb1p

Mrb1p PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Every body is doing bad when you look hard enough. You're so invested in the conversation that you look for them to fail, thats just confirmation bias. Put your Timmins hate aside for once and evaluate the players as if they were drafted by the holy grail of scouts that you are looking for, then youll see a budding prospect pool.

3. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    We need to target assets that other teams are targeting. Size/Strength/Skill/Skating. If one or more is missing, buyer be ware. Sometimes when you get to the later part of the 1st round and beyond, you have to measure how much value is put on a prospect who lacks certain qualities. Habs have drafted either the Safe, Small but with skill, or Size with limited skill types far to often.

Go after skill and skating first but be careful with lack of strength. Strength is an important ingredient cause we all know Junior players who struggle once they have less time and space after turning pro.

4. 1909

1909 Registered User

To be honest. I like them both equally, but Kotkaniemi is definitely showing he is a real centerman while Galchy always gave me that feeling he was best suited for a wing. Even If they are both sheltered on a 3rd line, Kotkaniemi has more responsabilities to handle than Galchy had. + This year is a regular 82 games season, not a lock out shortened one.

For me, Kotkaniemi has overall better hockey IQ than Galchy wil never have. He is a Bobby Smith in the making.

5. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    I can't say for sure how much I liked one vs the other in their first season. But I do agree with you on Kotkaniemi and his ability to be a productive and reliable center. The key here is how much he can improve from where he is at today. It's anybodies guess. Most of us thought Galchenyuk would mature faster than he did. Heck, how much better today is he from when he was 18/19? Most would agree he is stalled development in his early 20's. He's just too hard to coach cause he don't seem to be committed to listen to what the coaches are saying. It feels different with Kotkaniemi

6. 1909

1909 Registered User

The kid was playing with men in Finland last season. he is the youngest player at NHL level this season. He is already way, way better than when he started at rookie Camp back in September. His progression is awesome. With few ponuds more and muscles he will become a top six centerman for sure, possibly a top 1st line center.

TooLegitToQuit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.