Confirmed with Link: Trevor Lewis 2 year extension, $1.525m per year

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I was hoping some team would throw 2M at Lewis in the off season. Lewis is good defensively and can be plugged into spots to fill in for injuries. I wouldn't have minded seeing Lewis go just to keep Sutter from overplaying him.

So what's the list of guys from Man that have to clear waivers for the first time next year? Vey/Andy/McNabb?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wow, I'm surprised how quickly this thread turned around, haha.

I could easily see the argument either way--bringing up a youngster (Weal, Andreoff) to play a bottom 6 role at a cheap cost as well as a potential showcase is a good thing. I like this signing, but I also see where we're getting to the point where not only every million but each penny matters. To me, this suggests management is putting faith in Lewis (I see others disagree but I don't think Vey replaces him) and may be moving Clifford or another 1-2 million dollar salary in the org (or, potentially, one of the big ones).

Edit: though I would argue that what's going on here is not a Trevor-Lewis-Contract problem and rather an other-people's-collective-contracts problem, no?

Maybe now is the time for me to do that Capgeek thing I was saying I would and hopefully I don't break it this time :P

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
That is where I am going. I would rather use the contract and the space to bring up one of our more talented NHL ready youngsters then hang on to TL, a player that I like but I believe to be replaceable and with our depth upgradeable as well.

Not a big deal but I would have done something different is all.

I'm in the same boat. I like Lewis and what he brings given his role on the team , but the bottom 6 needs more scoring from it's centers. The only thing I see is they move him to one of the wings to make room for Vey.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
With the big money contracts we have, we can't afford to pay what we are for the likes of Lewis. Does anyone think his production can't be replaced by a rookie making about half the salary? I'm not saying Lewis isn't worth this contract, I'm saying he's not worth this contract to this team, with this teams salary cap situation, and with it's bottom six scoring issues.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
With the big money contracts we have, we can't afford to pay what we are for the likes of Lewis. Does anyone think his production can't be replaced by a rookie making about half the salary? I'm not saying Lewis isn't worth this contract, I'm saying he's not worth this contract to this team, with this teams salary cap situation, and with it's bottom six scoring issues.

He got a $200K raise. I don't see how his contract is backbreaking.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If a guy like Adam Burish can get $1.85M as a UFA and Mike Rupp earns $1.5M, then I see no problem with Lewis's contract.

He likely would've gotten more as a UFA.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
If a kid is ready to step into the lineup dean will make a trade and open up the spot. Its obvious now right?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
With the big money contracts we have, we can't afford to pay what we are for the likes of Lewis.

Lombardi apparently disagrees.

Does anyone think his production can't be replaced by a rookie making about half the salary?

Apparently Lombardi doesn't believe one of them can yet.

I'm not saying Lewis isn't worth this contract, I'm saying he's not worth this contract to this team, with this teams salary cap situation, and with it's bottom six scoring issues.

Once again, Lombardi apparently disagrees.

For now, all of those questions have been answered by the Kings re-signing Lewis. There's no what if, or yeah but, or if that at this point. Apparently the Kings can afford to pay him regardless of any other contracts, and he is worth it to the organization to do so. He's not re-signed otherwise.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I have no problem with the Lewis deal, I actually like it, I think it makes it more likely that DL is considering unloading an awful contract this summer, which is good news for the Kings going forward.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I think Lewis has been fantastic ever since being moved down to the 4th line. With that said, I am a bit surprised by this move. What's next, Richards with another 15 year extension? :sarcasm:

More and more I think about it, I guess Lombardi's going with what's working. So, guys like Stoll and Williams will retire a king, and the only guys getting moved are our prospects.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I have no problem with the Lewis deal, I actually like it, I think it makes it more likely that DL is considering unloading an awful contract this summer, which is good news for the Kings going forward.

You are going too be really disappointed.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
You are going too be really disappointed.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Maybe if they make a really deep run, but if not I don't see how he lets almost $12 million of cap space sit in the bottom six.

People keep listing these cap projections based on next year, but most GM's are looking years in advance and the Kings aren't going to be paying Toffoli, Pearson, Martinez and King this little in the near future. Plus there is the Kopitar extension, and the top 4 defenseman they could still use.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Thought we would have replaced him internally at half the price. I guess only DL knows how much he has to work with but 1.5 for a guy that doesn't score, plays on the bottom line, and plays apposition we are stocked at seems steep

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Maybe if they make a really deep run, but if not I don't see how he lets almost $12 million of cap space sit in the bottom six.

People keep listing these cap projections based on next year, but most GM's are looking years in advance and the Kings aren't going to be paying Toffoli, Pearson, Martinez and King this little in the near future. Plus there is the Kopitar extension, and the top 4 defenseman they could still use.

I usually disagree with you on these contracts but with that caveat I think I fully agree with you.

I think unless we make a deep run (which is also possible and trending towards likely imo), we're going to see a significant facelift in the form of shedding a big salary. Otherwise, if we do go deep, WCF or further, I would bank on very little change (and the likelihood of losing guys like Weal et. al. who just want a shot)

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I wonder if DL made a promise to Lewis last year when he was low on cap room to re-sign him.

And I wonder if Lombardi already has a good educated guess on what the new cap will be...

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

I think this definitely could be the case if the Kings flame out. Otherwise I would think the plan is to reshape the defense next year, then change the offense in 2 years. Greene/Mitchell are UFA after this season, and Regehr and Martinez the next.

In 2 years Williams/Stoll are UFA, and Clifford/Nolan are RFA. I bet Williams and Nolan stick. I don't see us moving any of the other guys, really.

Mike Carr

Jul 19, 2012
roster

I think this definitely could be the case if the Kings flame out. Otherwise I would think the plan is to reshape the defense next year, then change the offense in 2 years. Greene/Mitchell are UFA after this season, and Regehr and Martinez the next.

In 2 years Williams/Stoll are UFA, and Clifford/Nolan are RFA. I bet Williams and Nolan stick. I don't see us moving any of the other guys, really.

lots of cap workings with King low and also Mccnab and Vey etc - wouldn't we have to pay these guys more to re-sign ?

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

If you're talking about getting rid of Greene and Mitchell, then sure, but if you're thinking we are unloading Brown and/or Richards in the offseason, you're dreaming. Still have to see their postseason performance and regardless they'll be given next year.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If you're talking about getting rid of Greene and Mitchell, then sure, but if you're thinking we are unloading Brown and/or Richards in the offseason, you're dreaming. Still have to see their postseason performance and regardless they'll be given next year.

Again. Will have to agree to disagree. Truly, none of us know, it's all speculation, I have my reasons for thinking one might be gone, you have yours for thinking there is no chance.

But just out of curiosity, does anyone know of another team that has $12 million of cap space on two bottom six forwards which the Kings would have next season if neither one is moved.

$12 million on two bottom six forwards and $21 million on centers, again don't see how this is realistic. Lewis at $1.5 is fine for a fourth line center, not so much if he is being used as a 4th line rw on a bottom six that already has $15 million between three players.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad