Confirmed with Link: Trevor Lewis 2 year extension, $1.525m per year

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i could see Dean going with the current D (DD, VV, Amart, Muzzin, RR) + Campbell and McNabb. It honestly wouldn't surprise me. They (he and Sutter) stuck with the ups/downs of breaking in Muzzin, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them do it again with Soup and McNabb.

I agree with you and JL and had the same thought. That's just a young D and a bit risky to go almost devoid of vets. Guys like O'Donnell and Mitchell did a great job bringing DD into the league and exposing him to the nuances of playing D. I'd worry we're oversaturating the back end with youth if Mitchell were not a part of that. I guess at some point your young guys become your old guys but as I mentioned elsewhere it doesn't seem like DLs style to let Scuderi and Mitchell+Greene go in consecutive years (and potentially AM and RR next year) without a contingency plan (personally if I had to choose between RR and WM I'd go WM, but your mileage may vary).

To bring it back to Lewis, his cap hit along with King's and a potentially lower cap crunches us out of at least Greene but also maybe Mitchell.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'll guess $1.5m. This complicates things for next year, though I am not entirely surprised. I was looking at this the other day and next year is going to be a tight fit under the cap. I knew Lombardi wanted to keep Lewis, but was wondering if he'd sacrifice him for the cap. We know Clifford is close to being gone, but we need to shed at least another contract.

King may be a low shot, and Mitchell is there just in case we re-sign either him or Greene, if we don't then it represents the $3 million we spend to replace him to find a veteran defender, unless Dean is going to be all youth and internal. It wouldn't be hard to get those numbers to work under the cap for Lombardi, but leaves us little to maneuver with.

Not a representation or point of anything other than to note that our capspace will be tight next season.

Isles can take Williams off your hands :)

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Like Lewis, glad to see him around for two more years, just surprised at the cap hit, expected lower. Guess this means Clifford could be jettisoned.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
An easily tradable 2 year contract is a mistake?

The easily tradable part is an opinion that hopefully works out for us if needs be. My opinion is that this was a mistake. Not the end of the world, not one of the biggest disasters in the history of the team but a deal that I wouldn't have made given the choice.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
An easily tradable 2 year contract is a mistake?

The easily tradable part is an opinion that hopefully works out for us if needs be. My opinion is that this was a mistake. Not the end of the world, not one of the biggest disasters in the history of the team but a deal that I wouldn't have made given the choice.

both strong arguments. it isn't a cap killer.

at the same time i think the pool of players within the system is strong enough that they could have parted ways with Lewis. there are players in MAN i think that are ready to step into that type of role, while providing some cap room. it's my guess but i think this is where TG is going.

lewis could be a nice trade bait candidate at the draft honestly with this new deal. established veteran player, strong lower 6 defensive utility player that is good for 10-20 pts.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
both strong arguments. it isn't a cap killer.

at the same time i think the pool of players within the system is strong enough that they could have parted ways with Lewis. there are players in MAN i think that are ready to step into that type of role, while providing some cap room. it's my guess but i think this is where TG is going.

lewis could be a nice trade bait candidate at the draft honestly with this new deal. established veteran player, strong lower 6 defensive utility player that is good for 10-20 pts.

That is where I am going. I would rather use the contract and the space to bring up one of our more talented NHL ready youngsters then hang on to TL, a player that I like but I believe to be replaceable and with our depth upgradeable as well.

Not a big deal but I would have done something different is all.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Don't like resigning of Lewis, The Kings need more skill and scoring out of the bottom six.

The Kings need more production for what they are paying Clifford/Lewis.

Lewis better be a 20-30 point player next year.

Would rather see Weal/Andy get a shot.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Don't like resigning of Lewis, The Kings need more skill and scoring out of the bottom six.

The Kings need more production for what they are paying Clifford/Lewis.

Lewis better be a 20-30 point player next year.

Would rather see Weal/Andy get a shot.

Me too to the point that I think we could end up losing out on one of these kids due to numbers by hanging on to a player that is a decent place holder for us at this point.

Not a major disaster or anything but one that I would rather have not made. Lewis isn't bad or anything, just that he is taking up valuable real estate.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Imo this is terrible. He's overrated on this board for his D and provides very little offense. Wastes a roster spot imo.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
I'd keep Mitchell and ditch Greene. Mitchell will probably cheaper and is still a better player.

Even though both Willie and Matt are expiring contracts as per Capgeek:

Willie Mitchell
--3.5M
--turning 37

Matt Greene
--2.95M
--at least 30.

Back on topic, I'm happy for Trevor; he and Tyler Toffoli are the first two L.A. Kings players I ever met in a meet-and-greet.

Just recently seeing him play alongside Tyler and Tanner makes sense, especially when the chemistry aspect is there.

KingKopitar11*

Imo this is terrible. He's overrated on this board for his D and provides very little offense. Wastes a roster spot imo.

Grinder with no hands >>>>> player with hockey IQ and Skill, with hands.

Deans MO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad