Player Discussion Trent Frederic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Lemieux must be scared of the kid to feel he needed the jump so bad.

I'd be worried if I was Lemieux... you got 6 shots in to start and still couldn't close the fight. Yikes!

That’s the Lemeiux special. Everyone talks about him like he’s the next Rocky yet all I see is someone who’s quick-draw punching his way into fights. Square up with T Freddy next time.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Lemieux must be scared of the kid to feel he needed the jump so bad.

I'd be worried if I was Lemieux... you got 6 shots in to start and still couldn't close the fight. Yikes!

exactly. Frederic was a little disoriented and did get clocked again. But also clocked him back (simultaneous blows). Lemieux is lucky he ducked away from that last punch, because he would have needed dentures

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That’s the Lemeiux special. Everyone talks about him like he’s the next Rocky yet all I see is someone who’s quick-draw punching his way into fights. Square up with T Freddy next time.

Sounds like Butch Cassidy (not Bruce Cassidy) telling Logan (Ted Cassidy) we need to go over the rules before the knife fight.

Rules? In a knife fight?

The kid agreed to go, he got clocked. Next time he needs to be ready.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Sounds like Butch Cassidy (not Bruce Cassidy) telling Logan (Ted Cassidy) we need to go over the rules before the knife fight.

Rules? In a knife fight?

The kid agreed to go, he got clocked. Next time he needs to be ready.
exactly, let`s see if his strategy changes next time

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
He is still young. It looks like he’s still trying to figure out what kind of player he wants to be. Once he gains confidence in who he is and that he deserves to be a Boston Bruin his game will get better. From where I sit the guy is so likeable.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
He had a rep for a big shot... nice to see him get it off and start to build confidence on it at an NHL level.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Happy for him for the goal.

Connor Hart flat out missed it, but the shot had some knuckle action to it. Hopefully they start rolling in more now that the first one is on the board.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He looked one of the faster guys out there

not afraid to shoot or drop them

Congratulations on hopefully will be many more
Just a joy to watch him - I'm number 11 in real life and have been waiting for someone good to scoop it up (sorry Jimmy Hayes) so that I can buy a Bruins jersey with my number on it.

He might be the one for me.

Congrats to his first goal!

Reactions: DKH

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
He's got a good set of hands too- skills are there.

The blessing and curse of Trent Frederic has always been that he was unexpectedly taken in the 1st round and then immediately downplayed by the Bruins as being a guy they saw as being almost a lock to become a solid bottom 6 player but nothing more - a blessing because it dampened what may have otherwise been unrealistic expectations, but a curse in that if he can't make the grade at all that's arguably an even worse look/result for Boston that aiming high with a high ceiling 'project' guy and coming up empty.

We've had a small but solid 16-game sample now in his current stretch and so far he's looking pretty good and probably much as originally expected. As you said, the skills are there. They're not absolutely elite but he can handle and move the puck ok and that shot is heavy when he does get to use it. Probably his passing could be better but there's still plenty of time to improve that. His natural skill will only take him so far though and I think that's why it's pretty clear that his projected ceiling is correct - he's a bottom 6 grinder with some sand and useful adaptability in being able to play both center and wing competently. His effort, compete and feistiness are definitely his calling card and will serve him well long-term as a tough, ideally 3rd line competitor as long as he can maintain the rage.

Right now Freddie's still young and inexperienced and he's going to have ups and downs. Prior to the last game he had a little patch where he struggled a bit - his TOI decreased and he spent a few shifts looking somewhat lost - but that's only to be expected and as long as he continues to learn and the general trajectory is upwards he should be fine. Probably one thing I'd like to see him work on is his positioning. It's not always easy to tell this just from watching on TV, but to me he at least looks like he doesn't get to the dirty areas in the slot and around the net, or otherwise in good positions to try and score, quite as much as you would like for a guy who's going to need to rely on scrapping, smarts, hard skating and using his body to be impactful on offense rather than outright skill and speed. Fortunately in different ways he has good models to emulate in Coyle and Ritchie, which hopefully will help his further development in both this and other areas.

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Possible...however I do kinda like him at LW.

Depends what you're looking for out of him. Seems like the Bruins just want him to go play hard, straight-line hockey and be an absolute nightmare to play against and share the ice with, which he clearly is both of those things. If you're looking for him to make more plays and be in the driver's seat, I think he's a far better center than he is a winger.

Before going on his tear of the AHL last year, he was playing a few games at left-wing while not doing as much as he could out there. He started to go on the scoring tear once he was moved back to center. His physical play and aggression didn't drop off either as he was still very much hitting and fighting. I think Frederic is a better center than a winger for sure and I'd love to see him get some 4C/3C reps at some point. Great at the dot, too.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Depends what you're looking for out of him. Seems like the Bruins just want him to go play hard, straight-line hockey and be an absolute nightmare to play against and share the ice with, which he clearly is both of those things. If you're looking for him to make more plays and be in the driver's seat, I think he's a far better center than he is a winger.

Before going on his tear of the AHL last year, he was playing a few games at left-wing while not doing as much as he could out there. He started to go on the scoring tear once he was moved back to center. His physical play and aggression didn't drop off either as he was still very much hitting and fighting. I think Frederic is a better center than a winger for sure and I'd love to see him get some 4C/3C reps at some point. Great at the dot, too.

I know it's still kind of early in his pro career, but I would not mind a bit, assuming Trent continues as he is, them walking away from Kuraly and penciling Frederic in as the 4th line center for next season.

Reactions: Bodit9 and duffy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad