Player Discussion Trent Frederic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins’ Trent Frederic showed uncommon fight against Capitals tough guy Tom Wilson - The Boston Globe

College hockey doesn’t allow fighting, so it’s rare to see kids with an NCAA background put up their dukes in today’s NHL.
Trent Frederic
, who turned pro in 2018 after two years at the University of Wisconsin, may be the exception to that new-age rule. The Bruins’ feisty 22-year-old winger threw down with the Cap tough man Tom Wilson Monday night, a bout that factored significantly in the Bruins’ 5-3 comeback victory.

“I actually got in a fight [during practice] and broke my hand my freshman year,” recalled Frederic, asked if he considered one day fighting in the NHL when he was shaping his game at Madison. “That was probably my first real fight—but other than that, obviously you couldn’t [fight in college], so it never really crossed my mind.”

Frederic tried to entice Wilson into a bout Saturday night, but the big Caps winger would not oblige. Earlier this season, Frederic couldn’t get New Jersey defenseman P.K. Subban to take the bait.

“Both games we were down,” said Frederic, noting the pair of 3-0 deficits the Bruins faced in Washington. “And it’s tough with no fans. You need a spark. In both games the opportunities presented themselves, but it takes two to do it, obviously.”

A reporter in the Frederic’'s post-game presser noted that it appeared the key to his fight was being the first to get his left hand around the collar of Wilson’s sweater.

“I’ll take your advice,” said Frederic, although it was an observation. Wilson hooked on first. “I haven’t got to watch it yet, so . . . but I’ll keep that in the back of my mind when I do.”

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
This clip should be in a Bruins

it’s like a story that ends with a happy ending

I believe it’s last Bruins game at TD Garden with fans

Wagner Is one of my favorite players

This is my favorite Wagner sequence. For context, Toronto was running around all over the ice and had just cheapshotted McAvoy where it looked like a possible concussion.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I agree to a point but instead of team-wide I think if you have 3 guys who can legitimately play the game and are willing to fight and at least have a 50/50 chance at winning vs. most of the guys not named Reeves, Lucic, etc. then you're ahead of the game.

There aren't a lot of teams that I can see that go more than 3 deep in the "fighter" department.

Washington -- Wilson, Chara, Hathaway

Calgary -- Looch, Tkachuk -- Bennett?

Vancouver - Roussell, Myers, ?

Not talking about fighters, per se. I mean guys willing to go, but more importantly, guys banging along the boards, guys sticking up for each other.

Many times I've noted the "All for one, One for All" credo achieved under Peter Chiarelli, Claude Julien, Z, and Patrice.

It was such a joy to see, after so many years of Sinden/OC mediorcity.

I hope the current group can find their own kinship.

IMO the B's are right there with Frederic, Ritchie, Miller, Lauzon -- heck, I'd even take Clifton vs. anyone within a couple of inches and 15 pounds of him.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I would like to see Frederic start throwing the body around more consistently. I was surprised to see he’s only has 11 hits in the 9 games this year. That’s only about 1.2 hits/gm.

It will be interesting to see if the Wilson fight kind of jumpstarts that part of his game. He took on the toughest guy in the East, more than held his own and jump started the Bruins comeback against a team who OWNS them.

Reactions: StrBender

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
Ritchie, Freddie and Miller can one up and fight anyone in the league. Not saying they 'll win, but they will fight and the other teams know that. Wagner I think needs to pick his spots more carefully. He seems to be much more a reactionary fighter.
What about Lauzon? Seems like a tough kid. Craig Smith looks like he's taken a few.

Reactions: sarge88

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I would like to see Frederic start throwing the body around more consistently. I was surprised to see he’s only has 11 hits in the 9 games this year. That’s only about 1.2 hits/gm.

It will be interesting to see if the Wilson fight kind of jumpstarts that part of his game. He took on the toughest guy in the East, more than held his own and jump started the Bruins comeback against a team who OWNS them.

I was surprised to see Anders Bjork has as many hits as Frederic and only 1 less than Ritchie :eek:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
They they both need to bring that element out more.

Maybe? IDK I feel like they've been fine in the physical department. Its tough to gauge just looking at hits imo. If you're throwing a lot of hits it probably means your team struggles in puck possession when you're on the ice. It very well could be why Bjork's hits are close to Frederic and Ritchie. In his last 5 games Bjork has 8 hits and iirc is was about 5 games ago when Bjork was put on the 4th line with Kuraly and Wagner.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Love that he’s second guessing himself. If he won handily and/or team not collapsed it wouldn’t be an issue for him and them. TFred’s in their heads
I think it would be an issue regardless. Wilson is a top six forward. Fredric is a bottom six forward. If I’m Wilson’s coach he is in trouble win or lose. You’re not supposed to sit in the penalty box for 25% of the period to fight a fourth line player.

Reactions: Kalus

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I was surprised to see Anders Bjork has as many hits as Frederic and only 1 less than Ritchie :eek:

I think Bjork realizes he is playing for his spot. When all are healthy, he is probably the first to go, so he knows he needs to bring more, even if it is not his strength. Good on him, others have been in the same position (Spooner, Donato) and haven't done what it takes to stick.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I think it would be an issue regardless. Wilson is a top six forward. Fredric is a bottom six forward. If I’m Wilson’s coach he is in trouble win or lose. You’re not supposed to sit in the penalty box for 25% of the period to fight a fourth line player.
I hear you but Frederic was a 3rd line player, not a 4th and he’s been causing all kinds of problems for opponents. The root of Wilson’s second thoughts is that Frederic got the best of him and Wilson couldn’t spark his team to stop the B’s growing momentum. Had he pummeled Frederic he wouldn’t be having second thoughts about missing a couple shifts in a game his team was leading.

Reactions: Kegs

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Maybe? IDK I feel like they've been fine in the physical department. Its tough to gauge just looking at hits imo. If you're throwing a lot of hits it probably means your team struggles in puck possession when you're on the ice. It very well could be why Bjork's hits are close to Frederic and Ritchie. In his last 5 games Bjork has 8 hits and iirc is was about 5 games ago when Bjork was put on the 4th line with Kuraly and Wagner.

Ritchie hits to hurt. I wonder if his focus has been more on his overall game instead of physical. I’m not worried and you make a great point about lots of hits and possession.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Ritchie hits to hurt. I wonder if his focus has been more on his overall game instead of physical. I’m not worried and you make a great point about lots of hits and possession.

You could be right and Ritchie could be focusing on his overall game. He's obviously not the fastest skater, so maybe he's being a little more selective so he doesn't pull himself out of position or hurt the team by trying to go for a hit when it may not really accomplish much outside of a notch in the hit column.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Frederic, Miller , are the toughest on the team. With Wagner being sneaky tough. McAvoy hits the toughest.
Miller and Mac are D. You think Wagner can take on the big boys? I don’t . Trent is young and getting better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad