Treliving

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I can't believe that Gulu still has his defenders around here. Yikes, you guys are gluttons for punishment.
Treliving is going to can him, I truly believe it. You can tell by Glen's body language lately that he can see his impending doom.

That being said, tre is now on thin ice. If a new coach doesn't turn the team around I think he will get the hook for building a lemon. If that happens we fans are probably in for a world of heartbreak. I've noticed how attached/defensive we've become of certain players and several of them WILL get traded if treliving goes.
Personally I think Brodie should be gone either way. I'd also support moving on from Frolik if we can get anything for him.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
ugh....Time to cheer for the jays I guess. Missing the playoffs blows, this team should've been better than they were this year.

1) coaching staff overhaul
2) Trade Stone for picks
3) hope Bennett and Janko progress
4) try an land a top 6 RW sniper if possible, either by trade or FA

I don't care what people say, I feel this roster can compete, all we need is more scoring depth.

Yeah I'm frustrated from decades of middle of the pack but I agree that a Perron or Grabner in the top 9 could likely get us in the playoffs. But does that move us to a 5-7 top contender 5 year cycle? I just don't see it at this point.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Yeah I'm frustrated from decades of middle of the pack but I agree that a Perron or Grabner in the top 9 could likely get us in the playoffs. But does that move us to a 5-7 top contender 5 year cycle? I just don't see it at this point.

Agreed, but combine that with Bennett and Janko progressing, a new coach/system. Hell, guys like Tkachuk, Monahan, Hamilton should trend up. Maybe even a farm add like Mangiapane, Dube, Foo will help...All these things should put us in a much better position. But I agree, One top 9 upgrade isn't fixing everything, we need the stars to align on all fronts to truly take another step.

Just removing GG should help, I'm not even speaking to his general system that he deploys. His in-game roster management is horrible. No Hamilton on the PP for most of the year, too much reliance on Brouwer, pairing our 4th line with our 3rd pair, etc...Just having logical roster utilization is paramount imo. Because on paper, I like our roster outside of making a couple upgrades to our core forwards.

There is zero doubt in my mind that we have a better group than what we've seen this year. Treliving lost his bet on the Hamonic deal, but we still have a great piece moving forward in that player at a great cap hit. So to answer the OP, no Treliving has done a decent job. He needs to find a better coach going into next year.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Agreed, but combine that with Bennett and Janko progressing, a new coach/system. Hell, guys like Tkachuk, Monahan, Hamilton should trend up.

Not if Tkachuk walks when they don't pay him what he's worth.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Trelivings biggest pro so far has been hes done quite a good at resigning players to pretty good deals, and staggered things pretty nicely

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
After this recent stretch I think we are in a tier with Chicago, Carolina, Montreal, Ottawa, Arizona, NYI, etc.

I read Treliving’s comments in Future Watch and he said you build teams with defence. Which yeah you need good dmen but it’s the NHL in 2018. You need dynamic speed and skill up front.

I fear tre and Burke butchered the rebuild. At this point we would need a blake wheeler and a Claude giroux in the lineup to move to contender status. And that’s without moving a top 4 dman. I hope I’m wrong but we may need to rebuild again after next year.

We will see if the predominant thought of it being the coach is true next year. Well maybe....

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
After this recent stretch I think we are in a tier with Chicago, Carolina, Montreal, Ottawa, Arizona, NYI, etc.

I read Treliving’s comments in Future Watch and he said you build teams with defence. Which yeah you need good dmen but it’s the NHL in 2018. You need dynamic speed and skill up front.

I fear tre and Burke butchered the rebuild. At this point we would need a blake wheeler and a Claude giroux in the lineup to move to contender status. And that’s without moving a top 4 dman. I hope I’m wrong but we may need to rebuild again after next year.

We will see if the predominant thought of it being the coach is true next year. Well maybe....

A Blake Wheeler AND a Claude Giroux?

Ha

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Two more top ten scoring players would make us contenders? You don't say.

Reactions: Janks

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Well, in case nobody noticed, we do have dynamic offensive weapons, we just need a coach who can actually manage a roster.

Tkachuk-Monahan-Gaudreau
Bennett-Backlund-XXX
Ferland-Janko-Frolik
XXX-XXX-XXX

Fill in the XXXs, get a coach that understands Tkachuk is a top line guy and that Bennett needs to be put in a position to succeed. All I know is that removing the GG roster stubbornness is step 1. Step 2 is Tre fixing all the XXXs via FA, trade, or internal growth. Send Brouwer packing and thank Stajan for his years of service. All of the sudden this team looks a lot better up front. We don't need to blow up a roster that has a U25 core consisting of Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett and Hamilton. We need an NHL calibre coaching staff, a top 6 sniper (Kane/Neal/Perron/Hoffman), and brand new 4th line. That sounds a lot easier than a full blown rebuild.

EDIT: we should also expect our talented young core to progress, giving us another boost going into next season.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Well, in case nobody noticed, we do have dynamic offensive weapons, we just need a coach who can actually manage a roster.

Tkachuk-Monahan-Gaudreau
Bennett-Backlund-XXX
Ferland-Janko-Frolik
XXX-XXX-XXX

Fill in the XXXs, get a coach that understands Tkachuk is a top line guy and that Bennett needs to be put in a position to succeed. All I know is that removing the GG roster stubbornness is step 1. Step 2 is Tre fixing all the XXXs via FA, trade, or internal growth. Send Brouwer packing and thank Stajan for his years of service. All of the sudden this team looks a lot better up front. We don't need to blow up a roster that has a U25 core consisting of Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett and Hamilton. We need an NHL calibre coaching staff, a top 6 sniper (Kane/Neal/Perron/Hoffman), and brand new 4th line. That sounds a lot easier than a full blown rebuild.

EDIT: we should also expect our talented young core to progress, giving us another boost going into next season.

I just dont see the offensive weapons. Tkachuk and Gaudreau can create their offense, Mony is a pure finisher, thats it.

Unless the 2nd line XXX is Kucherov, I would be willing to bet that bottom 9 would be bottom 5 in scoring league wide.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
:laugh: I'd also wager that we'd be contenders if we sign McDavid, Crosby and Kucherov - that would REALLY round out our top 6

You guys are missing the point; that would be a Wheeler replacing a Ferland; a Giroux replacing a Backlund; figuratively speaking; the contenders have that type of depth; right now we don't

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Missing the playoffs does suck but things could be way worse. Look just a couple hours north. McDavid's 12.5 M with Draisaitl's 8.5 and Lucic's 6 pretty much have the Oilers forced to rid them selves of the Nug's contract so they can keep Talbot??? Puljujarvi??? and still sty to find a D-man. I like Calgary's situation much better. Hell I don't think there is a d-man in Edmonton that could crack the top 4 here.. maybe top 5.

I think Calgary's season is much like the Jets last year. The potential is there but it just needed to brew a little longer. Hell 16 out of the 20 starters are under 27... Heck 10 are under 25. Considering Johnny, Ferland and Monahan are barely starting to hit their prime Calgary is in a very good spot.

Tkachuk, Bennett, Jankowski, Lazar, Kulak, and Andersson are barely starting to hit their stride. If the latter 4 even put up 50% more points next season Calgary will be a monster to deal with. My dream would be to land Kovalchuk and get coach Q but those are just improvements that upgrade the talent of the existing team.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I just dont see the offensive weapons. Tkachuk and Gaudreau can create their offense, Mony is a pure finisher, thats it.

Unless the 2nd line XXX is Kucherov, I would be willing to bet that bottom 9 would be bottom 5 in scoring league wide.

And Bennett and Backlund are garbage I guess. f*** you guys just don't get it, show a little patience with a kid like Bennett, I'm betting it'll pay off. It's like you became a hockey fan yesterday.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So we are in better shape than the Oilers. Pretty low standard

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bennett belongs in that group imo, you're welcome to your opinion. Either way, it doesn't negate the fact that a full blowup isn't needed.

I agreed that a full blown up is not needed but we are f***ed if we expect Bennett to belong in that group. He has done nothing to show he belongs.

Assume he is bottom 6 player and go get some help!!!!

trckrdr

Jan 31, 2013
Bennett belongs in that group imo, you're welcome to your opinion. Either way, it doesn't negate the fact that a full blowup isn't needed.

I like Bennett and I want him to succeed, but I don't think he's a core piece right now.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I agreed that a full blown up is not needed but we are ****ed if we expect Bennett to belong in that group. He has done nothing to show he belongs.

Assume he is bottom 6 player and go get some help!!!!

Yes, and I'm saying he isn't bottom six material and is in fact going to get better. He may not, but I'm saying it's more likely he will. hmmm...a 21 year old kid hasn't peaked yet...go figure

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I like Bennett and I want him to succeed, but I don't think he's a core piece right now.

He's a core piece imo, because of what I think he'll grow into. If you guys want to pick that one player out of my entire post about blowing up the team, have at it. Bennett being a core piece or not, does not change my narrative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad