Treliving

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
great post.its easy for fans to be critical when they arent the ones dealing with unreasonable expectations, Not everyone is a McDavid or a Barzal, and even those can take a step back on occasion.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts in much fewer words. Bennett shouldn't have those kinds of expectations, it's great when you land a Tkachuk, most players don't have that immediate of an impact.

Reactions: Janks

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Brad Treliving gets a hard-on from trading boatloads of picks for overated top 4 d-men. Hamilton was good, eventually, but Hamonic has been a let down as of this point. If he can turn it around like Hamilton did, the trade might be more even, but right now, with us out a playoff spot, and with the 1st rounder not being lottery-protected, the trade is super lopsided.
Yes and no I guess. Hamonic has been rock solid this year. But he wasn't worth the price of an unprotected first, and I don't believe a player of his ilk ever would be.

Reactions: 4Flames

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Pretty much sums up my thoughts in much fewer words. Bennett shouldn't have those kinds of expectations, it's great when you land a Tkachuk, most players don't have that immediate of an impact.
When the isles sent Barzal back to the WHL last year, they needed a 2C. Grabovski was hurt and they had lost Frans Nielsen as a free agent, but Garth Snow sent him back anyway with one word: "DOMINATE" the rest is history. Garth Snow has made mistakes, but he has learned, I think much like Snow, Treliving is learning on the job and he would do certain things a different way if he had a do-over.

nobody could have seen TJ taking a step back, or Jagr totally falling off a cliff or Backlund having one of his worst seasons of his career. some things are totally out of a GM's control. After the Flames got Hamonic, everyone thought they were one of the best teams in the west, but those same "experts" saw Edmonton finishing with 110 points. thats just hockey

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
When the isles sent Barzal back to the WHL last year, they needed a 2C. Grabovski was hurt and they had lost Frans Nielsen as a free agent, but Garth Snow sent him back anyway with one word: "DOMINATE" the rest is history. Garth Snow has made mistakes, but he has learned, I think much like Snow, Treliving is learning on the job and he would do certain things a different way if he had a do-over.

nobody could have seen TJ taking a step back, or Jagr totally falling off a cliff or Backlund having one of his worst seasons of his career. some things are totally out of a GM's control. After the Flames got Hamonic, everyone thought they were one of the best teams in the west, but those same "experts" saw Edmonton finishing with 110 points. thats just hockey

Yup, TBH though, I saw the Brodie downfall coming. He need's to play on the right, he's clearly far more effective there, and GG should've figured that out last season.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Yes and no I guess. Hamonic has been rock solid this year. But he wasn't worth the price of an unprotected first, and I don't believe a player of his ilk ever would be.
i disagree, I dont know if you knew what Evgeni Malkin has said about Hamonic, he called Travis the Toughest defender he has played against in his career. We would have beat them in the playoffs if not for Nabokov suffering a meltdown.

Hamonic drove Malkin crazy that series, he couldnt Shake Hamonic, and Malkin said that

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Hamonic's been fantastic. This team should be faulted for its predictable and futile offense, not their defense.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
i disagree, I dont know if you knew what Evgeni Malkin has said about Hamonic, he called Travis the Toughest defender he has played against in his career. We would have beat them in the playoffs if not for Nabokov suffering a meltdown.

Hamonic drove Malkin crazy that series, he couldnt Shake Hamonic, and Malkin said that

I agree, Hamonic is awesome. In fact I'd argue with anyone who says he hasn't been our best defensive player this year, with Gio trailing close behind. I love the player, I do not love the price to acquire when we clearly had holes up front. I guess one could argue the price is worth it if you're truly ready to contend. Which was not how I felt entering the season, clearly BT did.

Reactions: Mobiandi

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I agree, Hamonic is awesome. In fact I'd argue with anyone who says he hasn't been our best defensive player this year, with Gio trailing close behind. I love the player, I do not love the price to acquire when we clearly had holes up front. I guess one could argue the price is worth it if you're truly ready to contend. Which was not how I felt entering the season, clearly BT did.
well most isles fans hated trading him, We understood of course knowing about his mothers illness and understanding Travis as we do. its one of those things that remind us sports isnt real life, im just glad he went to a team I like as opposed to a team I dont. I married a girl from Calgary and visit my in laws there, so I am biased. But as time goes on you'll grow to love the young man, to us he was and remains family.

for many of us Travis and Tavares represented the heart of our franchise. I see him being no less for the flames. its who he is. and he'll give his all for you

Last edited:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
well most isles fans hated trading him, We understood of course knowing about his mothers illness and understanding Travis as we do. its one of those things that remind us sports isnt real life, im just glad he went to a team I like as opposed to a team I dont. I married a girl from Calgary and visit my in laws there, so I am biased. But as time goes on you'll grow to love the young man, to us he was and remains family.

for many of us Travis and Tavares represented the heart of our franchise. I see him being no less for the flames. its who he is. and he'll give his all for you

Yup, guy is a warrior, I almost never see him loose a board battle or cough up the puck, and he's one of the few that plays hard every shift. He reminds me of a modern day Regher and I haven't seen too many players that can dominate defensively like him in today's NHL. I'm extremely happy to have Hamonic, I'm not happy you guys could win the lottery with our pick, it should've been protected.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Why cant we expect that from the highest pick in the Flames history?

Bennett is a disappointment. It's not even debatable.

What is debatable is whether he can still be a top 6 player...it's a joke that we even have to debate at this point.

He is a large part of why the Flames missed the playoff this year. I am pretty damn sure BT was expecting him to pick up the offense and he got nothing

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

What is debatable is whether he can still be a top 6 player...it's a joke that we even have to debate at this point.

He is a large part of why the Flames missed the playoff this year. I am pretty damn sure BT was expecting him to pick up the offense and he got nothing

Thats exactly my point, the only people disappointed are the ones that never saw him play a professional game and expected an immediate top line C. That's the problem with many HF posters. For every McDavid, there are many players, who at 21, are still playing in the minors as they grow and mature.

If you think a 21 year old unproven kid is a large reason we missed the playoffs you are directing your anger in the wrong place. If BT thinks that, then he clearly doesn't have a clue what's going on, which would be scary. It was fair to expect a little more progression, but with how GG utilized him, I'm not overly surprised.

Again, he's 21 years old, it's really not that hard to understand why he's struggling. Especially given the fact that he played most of the year with borderline NHL talent.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Flames missed the playoffs because PP1 was awful outside of a pair of outlier games where Hamilton and Monahan had hat tricks.

Bennett does not play on PP1 and the performance of PP2 is virtually irrelevant given the minute splits. You might have a point if Bennett screwed up PP1 somehow but your fake #1C played on that unit, not Bennett.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

On paper, we made playoffs last season. We walked into this season with an improved roster on paper. Why wouldn't you believe in your team to repeat ploffs and lower the value of those picks? All indicators seem to show you've made multiple steps to be a better team than last season?

- Goaltending improved
- Dcore improved (Hamonic > Eggs)
- Wideman effect, gone
- Individual accolades this season, improved
- Road trip record, improved.
- Mentorship, improved (Jagr)

On paper that looks hella good. Who would have thought with that many steps forward, we still take more steps back?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Brad Treliving gets a hard-on from trading boatloads of picks for overated top 4 d-men. Hamilton was good, eventually, but Hamonic has been a let down as of this point. If he can turn it around like Hamilton did, the trade might be more even, but right now, with us out a playoff spot, and with the 1st rounder not being lottery-protected, the trade is super lopsided.
Hamonic has been a let down? Have you watched a game in the second half of the season?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

We did expect it after he was drafted and even after his rookie year when he had a comparible rookie year to Monahan albeit as a top 6 LW as opposed to top 6 C. But after that year their development paths changed. Monahan assumed #1 C and we were lucky enough to draft Tkachuk who made the team in this D+1 season. That left Bennett 3rd on the depth chart for centre and for Tkachuk to have success in his rookie year they had to play him as the #2 LW.
If the flames actually had high end skill LW, C or RW to play on the 3rd line with him things would have been different however they didn;t 2 seasons ago and since Jankowski was promoted to the NHL the 3rd line has been ok however inconsistent.

The reason the Flames missed the playoffs is not largely due to Bennett. In January prior to all the breaks they were riding high. However since then the entire forward group has been inconsistent (except Tkachuk). The D improved and then injuries hit...which exposed the fact the flames have no forward depth.,,,

Reactions: disles1

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Yup, TBH though, I saw the Brodie downfall coming. He need's to play on the right, he's clearly far more effective there, and GG should've figured that out last season.
Quoted for truth and to repeat your message. Brodie is MUCH better on the right side, it's not even comparable. He still looks uncomfortable on the left side, and even slides to the right side of the ice occasionally (as is natural when it's your preferred side).

Not sure why GG is so stubborn on this - but it's asinine at this point. If it works for Brodie - why break it intentionally?

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
As much as I love ragging on GG lately I can't blame him on this one. Our current roster of players dictates that we need to use Brodie on the left side.
He implemented it last year and we subsequently went out to get 2 RHD (Stone and Ham). So we created that problem this past year. When he was visibly uncomfortable last year, we didn’t move him back either.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
the best stretch of Brodie's career was on the left side so this myth of him needing to play the right side needs to stop, it's pure fiction. Brodie is struggling because he takes too many chances and is pretty predictable when doing so

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I would like to believe that is is a left/right issue but watching Brodie it sure doesn't look like he is struggling on the left side he is making a lot of bad mental mistakes and leaving guys wide open.

Maybe it is because he is thinking too much by being on the left side but I am not sure it is.

The whole left/right thing seems like a convenient excuse because saying he has dropped off is much worse and something we don't really want to be true.

4Flames

Sep 2, 2015
Canada
Hamonic has been a let down? Have you watched a game in the second half of the season?
upload_2018-3-23_11-54-14.png

That stateline screams let down

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-23_11-53-56.png
    upload_2018-3-23_11-53-56.png
    336.6 KB · Views: 2

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
On paper, we made playoffs last season. We walked into this season with an improved roster on paper. Why wouldn't you believe in your team to repeat ploffs and lower the value of those picks? All indicators seem to show you've made multiple steps to be a better team than last season?

- Goaltending improved
- Dcore improved (Hamonic > Eggs)
- Wideman effect, gone
- Individual accolades this season, improved
- Road trip record, improved.
- Mentorship, improved (Jagr)

On paper that looks hella good. Who would have thought with that many steps forward, we still take more steps back?

Yes, I thought we'd be a playoff team, didn't think we'd be a contender, but you make the playoffs and who knows. I didn't like the Hamonic trade at the time, and now it looks worse with a lottery pick. Still glad we have the player. But I never thought the trade was the one that would put us over the top, especially given the fact our defence was decent enough without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad