Treliving

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
When does he start feeling the heat? Everyone dumps on GG but he’s Brad’s coach and this is Brad’s team. No picks, no impact forwards in system and stuck in the middle.

He was a quick hire so I wonder about business connections there. Came from Arizona, a losing franchise. Not sure how strong that resume was.

Yeah I’m frustrated as heck here.

Reactions: Sk8M8

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
heatison.jpg

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If the Flames miss the playoffs, he'll get some heat, if only because he traded away an unconditional first rounder on top of all the other picks he's moved for Smith and Stone.

But unless he chooses to tie his fortunes to Gulutzan, or starts making terrible panic trades, then I don't think he should be fired anytime soon. Lack of consistency at the top is a big reason why the Flames are perpetually mediocre. Granted, so are the many terrible hires they've made, so I dunno.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
The team was one of the league's poorest in terms of hockey assets when he got here and it hasn't really gotten better

I doubt ownership would have had the stomach for a scorched earth rebuild but the team took shortcuts through it and they're going to pay long term

They didn't suck long enough or hard enough to get enough talent to compete, and they've been average at best at drafting

It's a piss off that Gaudreau is being wasted on a team that's just spinning its wheels

Reactions: Sk8M8 and Dack

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He needs to do his homework and get the next coaching hire right. Stand pat or mess up again and he'll be out quick when the Flames falter.

I get the sense that ownership didn't take too kindly to his requests for full autonomy and would be looking for a reason to turf him to return to status quo.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The team was one of the league's poorest in terms of hockey assets when he got here and it hasn't really gotten better

I doubt ownership would have had the stomach for a scorched earth rebuild but the team took shortcuts through it and they're going to pay long term

They didn't suck long enough or hard enough to get enough talent to compete, and they've been average at best at drafting

It's a piss off that Gaudreau is being wasted on a team that's just spinning its wheels

Biggest failure was the coaching staff

Would have been nice if Bennett and Jankowski stepped up but they didnt so there was no secondary scoring

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
He should of had the intestinal fortitude to insist on hamonic lottery protection or walked. I’ll be maybe okay giving up a 12-14 pick for hamonic but we’ll be the joke of the league if islanders get a top 3 pick.

I won’t want to talk any hockey news with my buddies or co-workers because they’ll just be laughing at me if it turns into a lottery pick.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

As fun as it was our miracle 2015 season may have killed us long term. The team needs another elite talent with Bennett busting and that was the year to get it.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
When does he start feeling the heat? Everyone dumps on GG but he’s Brad’s coach and this is Brad’s team. No picks, no impact forwards in system and stuck in the middle.

He was a quick hire so I wonder about business connections there. Came from Arizona, a losing franchise. Not sure how strong that resume was.

Yeah I’m frustrated as heck here.

Waived Paul Byron too.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I won’t want to talk any hockey news with my buddies or co-workers because they’ll just be laughing at me if it turns into a lottery pick.

There a 90%+ chance it's a lottery pick so I suggest get one of these

generous.jpg

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I know Tre hired the coach, I thought the idea of the hire was right, but it was a miss plain and simple. This team is focused on generating shot attempts instead of playing hockey and dominating teams with their natural ability. The line combos are a mess at times, the changes are made to slow.

Like Ace said, I’ll blame Tre if Gully isn’t fired. The season is over. I also blame him if we don’t sign Kane ;)

Honestly the Brouwer signing was bad, but he would look better under a different coach. All year I’ve been saying Gully doesn’t know how to use him, square peg, round hole.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
He should of had the intestinal fortitude to insist on hamonic lottery protection or walked. I’ll be maybe okay giving up a 12-14 pick for hamonic but we’ll be the joke of the league if islanders get a top 3 pick.

We should all pray to every deity out there that Islanders win the lottery with our pick, because if Dahlen goes to Edmonton or Vancouver, THAT would make this season the worst in living memory.

And if Treliving goes, Burke better goes with him.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I'm still not ready to let go of either Treliving or Gulutzan.

Aside from his first season/draft, Treliving has been excellent in terms of trading, drafting, and signing pending RFA's/UFA's.

His only poor attribute is his free agent signings (aside from Frolik).

He's the best GM we've had in a long time. BUT he does need to be much better in terms of bringing in quality NHL depth. Our bottom 6 is just not good enough.

It's just been a super s***** season in terms of luck. The complete opposite of our 2014-15 season. Instead of getting completely dominated game in and game out and relying on incredible luck to win games, we're having a season in which we're the team dominating most nights but aren't getting any puck luck.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The complete opposite of our 2014-15 season. Instead of getting completely dominated game in and game out and relying on incredible luck to win games, we're having a season in which we're the team dominating most nights but aren't getting any puck luck.

Revisionist history. That team didn't rely on "incredible luck" to win games. They had plenty of games where **** went the other way. Why, during they 8 game losing streak they had a game in Toronto where Jonathan Bernier may as well have been Hasek, and then they lost to Joonas Enroth. They lost a lot of cross-conference games, and were completely dominated by Hitchcock's blues with no hope of beating them.

What that team did have, though:

It had injuries that allowed depth players to get into a groove early in the season. With Stajan, Raymond, Jones, Colborne, and Backlund all injured early on, the minutes and confidence building were there for guys like Monahan, Jooris, Bouma, and Granlund to get on a role. Sometimes ice time with skilled linemates tips the scale. Just ask Brouwer, he was having another terrible season until he got to play with Tkachuk and Backlund, and now he looks like a servicable 4th liner.

It had one of the speediest and determined role players ever in Paul Byron.

It had one of the highest career SH% players to ever lace em up in Jiri Hudler who, inspired by Gaudreau's talent, played with dogged determination in front of the net and took a beating doing so.

It had a ton of offensive creativity and skill on the back-end being used to perfection, where Gio and Brodie and Wideman and Russell just made things happen.

It had a coach who not only got that team a reputation as the hardest working team, but also exploited matchups as well as anybody with how he basically had Ferland-Stajan-Jones go out there against the Canucks' lower lineups with the intent of causing chaos on the forecheck, among other more subtle things. A coach who willed teams to win.

It played at the brisk tempo that Jay Feaster envisioned - gone in 60 milliseconds.

It had a very good first PP unit. Better than any we've had since. The second PP unit tanked their overall numbers as Jones and Raymond were not even NHlers, but Russell/Gio-Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler-Wideman/Brodie were simply poetic and actually scored organically rather than in the confines of a poorly fitting structure.

And it had the best penalty differential in the NHL.
That last part allowed them to have a very good season - in 1-1 games their speed and discipline gave them power plays that ended up being the difference, and then they used their counter-punch style to add some empty-netters and desperation goals. Not to be confused with "being outplayed" though. That team rarely got "outplayed" aside from when that disastrous Smid-Engelland third pairing were on the ice. Which again the coach managed.

Compared to that, especially the penalty differential the current team is at the mercy of luck. Hamilton's good for a penalty a game.

TL;DR version - Feaster had a vision, and that 2014-15 team was halfway there. Then Treliving waived Paul Byron. The Curse of the Spulll is upon us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bounces R Way

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don’t think he knows what a good forward looks like. Maybe Goalie too (he had to get his old guy from AZ).

He did a good job with the D though.

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I don’t think he knows what a good forward looks like. Maybe Goalie too (he had to get his old guy from AZ).

He did a good job with the D though.

I think he is over rated, give him one more season and if he does not fire GG and the assistant coaches, than fire him this year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Man, you guys are really scared of that lottery, eh? At some point, people need to realize that it doesn't make a lick of difference to the Flames where that pick ends up. The trade was made to improve the foundation of the team moving forward, and that's done. Move on.

Treliving's job is probably safe because the Flames aren't into making knee-jerk decisions. My impression of this organization is that their plan right now is probably to stick with Gulutzan to see if he can get the team off to a good start next year, then evaluate whether he should be discarded or extended. However, I bet that could change in a hurry if a more proven coach drops on the market.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
1) Make no difference? Sure this deep team does not need another top pick. But why do we need top pick if they are like Bennett...I guess I understand what you are saying
2)He improved the wrong area. Improve the team strength and ignoring the big hole the size of the grand canyon up front.
3) If he doesnt fire GG at the end of the season, they need to fire him ASAP. The stupid "system" doesnt work for this team. It's a mirage that we are the better team unless better team means getting more SOG. And we all know how GG "manages" the game. Think back on what GG does when thing do not work...yeah let's stick with it until the players say it doesnt work for them....great concept. Exhibit #99: Smith last night,

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
Man, you guys are really scared of that lottery, eh? At some point, people need to realize that it doesn't make a lick of difference to the Flames where that pick ends up. The trade was made to improve the foundation of the team moving forward, and that's done. Move on.

Treliving's job is probably safe because the Flames aren't into making knee-jerk decisions. My impression of this organization is that their plan right now is probably to stick with Gulutzan to see if he can get the team off to a good start next year, then evaluate whether he should be discarded or extended. However, I bet that could change in a hurry if a more proven coach drops on the market.
Yes, it will make a difference to the Flames brass. Please stop telling yourself that. If the Islanders by some luck win the draft lottery and draft Dahlin it will make a hell of a difference and most likely will lead to Treliving being fired. Treliving made a horrible deal in trading a non-lottery protected first for Hamonic and if anything should have used that first to trade for a right-handed top-six forward instead. The Flames area of weakness was never their D-core.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Flames season is essentially done, we are not making the playoffs. Gulutzan must go as the fall guy, I just don’t see any other way around it. The expectations for this season were playoffs and being a contender, the coach has failed at this task and the overall performance of the team has been highly questionable all season. If we had a different coach, it’s likely that the results on the ice would be much different. For that reason Treliving should not be fired.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I'm gonna agree with keeping both BT and GG for another season.

We have a young team and we're going through growing pains which can suck but it's far from the end of the world lots of room for internal growth and in a good enough cap situation to add a player externally if we need to. I really think they are moving in the right direction by looking at scoring chances and we dont have their internal metrics on what they qualify each game as a scoring chance but based on other sites and the eye-test the Flames this year are having better scoring chance differential than the last 2 years where we did make it to the playoffs.

The issues we're having aren't so much on those two but on the players and the special teams coach (who they are responsible for but it's possible to lose Cameron without losing the guys who are building the team properly).

Penalty differential is killing us and while Tkachuk and Gaudreau are doing their best to draw PIMS we are #1 in PIMs in the league this season and it kills our offense and it creates better chances for the other team, and for some reason we keep putting Brouwer out there to kill Penalties. Brouwer has been 'good' (not 4.5M but contributing positively 5 on 5 in a bottom 6 role) this season but he is not effective on any special teams unit and the guy running those special teams should not be using them to justify a bad contract.

Our PowerPlay is killing us we have the talent both offensively and on D to score PowerPlay goals but we stick to predictable zone entries and can't figure out a way to get our shooters in good position unless the other team collapses so tight that our D can come in. When we play the game of trading PIMs (as NHL refs will even out penalty calls so we tend to get more PowerPlays as we get more Penalties and less 5 on 5) the PP becomes more important for us than the rest of the league and compounds the issue of being unable to score on it.

Our goal-tending is killing us. I'm not a big Mike Smith fan but I have to admit he is our MVP... on the road. At home Smith is awful, on the road he has played 18 games and has a .944 save % when your goalie is playing like that it's easy to win games and he's definitely stealing a couple in 18 for you. At home Smith has played 32 games with a 901 save % he has 2 shutouts which inflate that number a bit so of the other 30 home games the team is battling uphill the vast majority of the time. Lack in 4 appearances rocked a .813 save % and as much as we can talk sample size on goalies with less than 6 full games there really was no recovery from that. Gillies has had 1 terrible start and looked bad in relief, he's been good enough statistically in his 3 other starts but looked uncomfortable and slow to adapt to the change in pace from the AHL so I dont think anyone is looking to him to solve our net problems by the start of next season. Rittich is like Smith very inconsistent even though he gives us some great performances (in the 11 games he's earned us a point he has a .939 save %) in the 8 games he hasn't he's at a .831 save %

In the end goalies are always going to look better in wins than losses but the team seems to be struggling to get legitimate goal-tending in any of the games we're losing in regulation and we can criticize the GM a bit there but when you can't find a goalie who works well in your system it's maybe the most difficult problem we see across the league to correct. And our focus and ability to play around even strength scoring chances makes me think it isn't the team leaving the goalie hung out to dry consistently (though that does happen) but our goalies not coming up with a save that other teams are getting against us.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Treliving has done an admirable job making this team respectable again. But if he hitches his cart to GG then he should probably go. It's clear GG is not the answer here.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I am not sure why people give GG a free pass on the special team. He is THE head coach.

That combines with the way he gets the team ready for the "big" games and juggling the lines should get him fired.

GG must be fired. No question about it. Too many flaws and It's not like he has proven success in the NHL.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad