Confirmed with Link: Travis Sanheim signs for 2 years, $3.25 million annually

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I’m sure it’s been mentioned before, but I really hope they now explore a long term extension with TK.

I’d be more comfortable doing that, instead of doing it with Provorov.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I’m sure it’s been mentioned before, but I really hope they now explore a long term extension with TK.

What price/length? I'd be a little wary from someone who may not break out fully. 6 years x 5m?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Chuck said they couldn’t come to an agreement on a long term deal so they agreed on a short term deal. Doesn’t say anything about the terms or what the difference was.

You can drag a horse to the water but you can’t make them drink.

But we didn't drag the horse to water. We made him the first RFA signing because we wanted cap certainty going into free agency, which should terrify you.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
But we didn't drag the horse to water. We made him the first RFA signing because we wanted cap certainty going into free agency, which should terrify you.

You are making the last part up. That is your assumption. Fletcher directly said they had been speaking for a while. There is no pressure to apply to get Sanhiem to sign that delaying will make. They came up with a team friendly short term number so why would Fletcher wait for more RFAs to sign at better numbers and potentially give Sanhiem’s agent a reason to change his mind. Just to play hard ball for the sake of playing hard ball. If the agent says we aren’t signing long term, the players wants to bet on himself then what leverage do the Flyers have that waiting until 5, 10, 15 other RFAs would make a difference.
There is no indication that Sanheim would signs long term contract. Not from Fletcher, no from the articles by the beat writers. Every article says the kid wanted to bet on himself so he took th short term deal.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I honestly just hope he continues with his progression. If he jumps and has a 45 point season playing 22 minutes a night I believe we truly have our new #1 defenseman.

He most likely bet on himself, which in all honesty is fine by me. If he becomes that player I have no issues paying him down the road. Every signing/trade/prospect isn’t going to be a homerun but you need to keep him around even if it’s a million more than it would have been now.

Sign him to a max 8 and you have Sanheim for 13 years... not too bad at all

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The thing is that goalscoring is at premium, especially if it's all 5on5. Just look at how much skinner got whose deal I suspect eventually made Fletch pony up even more. That's also the reason why Duchene will get so much. His skill is way above his hockey smarts making it tougher to be useful on pp.

That's true, but Kane only had 29 goals in his contract year, 28 the previous year, and 30 this year. He's never been a 35-40 goal guy.

Big, two-way centers are also at a premium.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I'd be happy with a bridge with TK, right now.
He regressed defensively, and frankly, if he doesn't turn that around, he's not worth a big long-term contract.

TK isn't a good PP guy, doesn't contribute on the PK, and if he's a 40-50 ES forward who is a defensively liability, I'd be looking to trade him and replace him with a more balanced forward.

But he's only 21, so I'm also willing to be patient with him, especially since we don't know how he'll react to AV's coaching.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Go back a few pages in this thread, starting around page 17 or so. Reporting is from Charlie O'Connor of the Athletic. This is not conjecture, O'Connor is reporting it as fact.

Actually, he didnt report anything regarding the contract decision as fact. Its literally all opinion based on how how he feels Fletcher is navigating the cap. I just read it for the 2nd time.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Actually, he didnt report anything regarding the contract decision as fact. Its literally all opinion based on how how he feels Fletcher is navigating the cap. I just read it for the 2nd time.

Except @JojoTheWhale followed up with COC who confirmed that this wasn't his own conjecture, but rather information he'd heard, presumably from team sources.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Based upon COC’s confirmed reporting, we’re now reasonably sure this is how it went:

1. Discussion of both long-term and bridge deals from both sides.
  2. No immediate agreement.
  3. Something around this date (likely 7/1) being an important cutoff date for something in Flecther’s plans.
  4. The team deciding to go with the bridge deal, which then came together quickly.

Your deductive reasoning skills arent welcomed here. Were here to talk heavy, hits, and hard two way play only.

Kthx.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Gee, I'm so scared.

They have an 18 man roster with $16,292,421 in cap space. How much do you expect to be left for free agents after they sign Provorov, Konecny and Laughton?

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Gee, I'm so scared.

They have an 18 man roster with $16,292,421 in cap space. How much do you expect to be left for free agents after they sign Provorov, Konecny and Laughton?

It does not have to be something “big”. He can just find his own Dale Weise, bringing us right to the cap and robbing us of any flexibility. It could be an overpay on Provorov. Who knows?

He’s just created extra cap by bridging Sanheim, moving Hartman, and re-upping Elliott instead of going for a pricier guy. You don’t think there might be a trend there?

Look, I have no interest in seeing my fears come to fruition so that I can say I told you so. This is the only sports team I really truly care about. It’s the only one I’ve followed closely non-stop my entire life. None of the other championships mean anything as much to me as would a Stanley Cup. I’m crossing my fingers that I’m overreacting but at the end of the day, each and every move Fletch makes leaves an awful taste in my mouth that we’re going to blow it, which is utterly depressing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Provorov isn't going to be cheap. Doesn't matter who's in charge.

And for the love of god please stop bringing up how much you want the Flyers to win a Cup as if that gives you some kind of special insight on whether the current personnel moves are good or not.

Reactions: lancer247

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Provorov isn't going to be cheap. Doesn't matter who's in charge.

And for the love of god please stop bringing up how much you want the Flyers to win a Cup as if that gives you some kind of special insight on whether the current personnel moves are good or not.

[MOD]

Provorov should be the one who gets bridged. And I'm not bringing my fandom up as if it gives me any special insights. It's only to reiterate THAT I WANT TO BE WRONG, lest I get accused again of just being negative or some other bullshit. I see a whole bunch of people rationalizing questionable move after questionable move and lashing out at anyone who dares to point out concerns they're having about the direction of the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Do we still have all our top players? check
Do we still have all our top prospects? check
Did we add a #2 C which we have not had in 2 years? check
Did we add a vet RH Dman that we wanted? check
Did we add a backup goalie? check
Did we avoid overpaying a likely 4th liner in Hartman? check
Did we upgrade in Head, PK and PP coaching? check

....all for the cost of a 5th, 2nd(that we re-couped), a 3rd, and cap space. And only 1 player added is here long term. Fletch has bridged the gap from the older core to the next.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Any RFA with 4 years of control who wants a long-term extension close to UFA money should be bridged.
You only give those extensions at a large discount, including the RFAs years and a couple UFA years.
Otherwise, it makes more sense to bridge them and see if they're worth extending in two years.

A RFA with 2 years left has far less negotiating leverage than a UFA, but the team has two more years of information concerning their long-term value.

Reactions: lancer247

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

....all for the cost of a 5th, 2nd(that we re-couped), a 3rd, and cap space. And only 1 player added is here long term. Fletch has bridged the gap from the older core to the next.

It is crazy how dire some think things are. I wanted all those things to happen , so far, so good.

Hayes deal is def not perfect, but those are some SOLID moves

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It is crazy how dire some think things are. I wanted all those things to happen , so far, so good.

I guess people didn't like that he came out and said he wanted to add those things....then went and did it.

And personally, I LIKE that he is being proactive and getting shit done early....instead of doing nothing and HOPING something shakes loose later on. People just want a perfect GM I guess.

mja

Jan 7, 2005

Sure, we still have our top players, but personally I thought now was the time to go out and add to the top of the core with a real impact player. We didn't do that. Instead, we went Hayes, Braun, & Niskanen.

We still have all of our top prospects, for which I'm thankful, but we added 2 veteran dmen, both of whom are on the decline, who are going to take away playing time from our young defensemen, and I question whether it's going to be a net benefit in the end. I'd also had rather spent that money / assets on PK, but then my head is clearly in a different place than most others.

We added a 2C on a contract I'm not ok with.

We didn't add a back-up goalie. We simply re-signed Elliott. I'm "okay" with that, and frankly think it makes more sense than throwing 3M AAV at Talbot for him to stay here, but that feeds into the pattern of questionable moves vis-a-vis the Talbot / Stolarz swap.

We added vet RH D, but was anyone really clamoring for Niskanen or Braun?

Once again, the Hartman deal feeds into the patters of questionable moves. It would have been better for Fletch to just take straight picks for Simmer rather than seek a roster player that we just dumped off to an oft-injured soon-to-be UFA 4th liner.

AV was not my first choice. I want Therrien nowhere near the team. Yeo just got humiliated.

It's not that it's dire. They are probably an improved team next year and comfortably make the playoffs. It's that there's a bad feeling that we're making the wrong mid & longterm moves. That we're building a team to win one playoff round instead of four.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad