Confirmed with Link: Travis Sanheim signs for 2 years, $3.25 million annually

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
He might get protected, but it seems unlikely unless Lindblom doesn't need to be.

Giroux (NMC), Voracek, Hayes (NMC) Konecny, Couturier, Patrick, NAK
Provorov, Sanheim, Myers
Hart

Sign Raffl to a one year, $1m extension for 21-22 and he can be the second forward meeting the Minimum Exposure Requirements along with JVR.
So why are we giving up a 20 goal scorer for a nice 4th line player? If Patrick and Lindblom are again playing and worth protecting, I get them, but Nak over JVR...not seeing that one. Its not like JVR has 8 years left on his deal. he will have 2 years left on that "bad" contract.

Reactions: Tripod

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
With Hagg in he is the #5 the way Ghost was playing earlier in the year I think makes Braun the #6. But itd possible Ghosts knee has pouched his season.

Braun is for sure the 3RD at this point. His ice time has been sliding all year. Over the last 20 games he has probably averaged maybe 16:30 a game?

Hind sight is obviously 20/20 and I do like Braun as a player, but if you could have had Friedman in Brauns current role and signed Sanheim longterm which would you have preferred?

It's kind of a toss up for me. And we can't know if that extra 3 million would have got the deal done anyways.
Hard to place other guys in roles they have never been in and expect similar results. Braun has been a very competent NHL defenseman for a long time.

For example, the push to have Farabee and Frost up hasn't really borne fruit at the NHL level. These guys are GOING to be major players, in two years, but right now. they are just talented floaters (less with Farabee). I'm fine playing them with the expectation they don't contribute on the scoresheet, but too often they are penciled in as an answer, and that's just not today's reality.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I liked what I've seen from Friedman this year, but he's not on Braun's level. Braun's an important part of our depth. When was the last time we had a bottom pairing defenseman as good as him?

No I don't think he is as good either. But say you knew Sanheim would sign for like 6x6.2AAV or something like that if Braun hadn't been acquired. Would the talent gap from Braun to Friedman or Hagg be so wide that it would be better to sign a bridge deal for one year of Braun?

Hard to say, and we dont know if Sanheim would have signed anyways.

In the long run we are going to have to quickly find cheaper options for that bottom pair, as the team is currently constructed it won't be sustainable for very long.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
So why are we giving up a 20 goal scorer for a nice 4th line player? If Patrick and Lindblom are again playing and worth protecting, I get them, but Nak over JVR...not seeing that one. Its not like JVR has 8 years left on his deal. he will have 2 years left on that "bad" contract.
JVR’s contract is protection enough from Seattle taking him. It would actually benefit the Flyers if Seattle takes him since Couturier and Giroux’s contracts are up the following summer and Seth Jones and Barkov will be available as UFAs. The UFA’s are a pipe dream but only a dream if Philly doesn’t dump JVRs contract.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hard to place other guys in roles they have never been in and expect similar results. Braun has been a very competent NHL defenseman for a long time.

For example, the push to have Farabee and Frost up hasn't really borne fruit at the NHL level. These guys are GOING to be major players, in two years, but right now. they are just talented floaters (less with Farabee). I'm fine playing them with the expectation they don't contribute on the scoresheet, but too often they are penciled in as an answer, and that's just not today's reality.

Farabee has produced points at ~around as high a rate as can realistically expect given he has basically had 3rd line usage all year. 2nd line level per minute and pacing for 33 points on the year.

Reactions: Striiker

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
There’s probably .05% chance that Jones even makes it to free agency. If Columbus thinks about moving him they will trade him and the team will likely pay a hefty price and re-sign him. Especially since we are in the same division he more than likely wouldn’t even be considered to be traded here.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's not as simple as you are making it out to be. It's 32 and 33 year old JVR (who isn't a top 6/PP1 staple at age 30) @ 7 AAV vs. Prime NAK @ half the cap hit + the cap flexibility.

JVR is a pretty obvious exposure at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
There’s probably .05% chance that Jones even makes it to free agency. If Columbus thinks about moving him they will trade him and the team will likely pay a hefty price and re-sign him. Especially since we are in the same division he more than likely wouldn’t even be considered to be traded here.
I disagree. Moving Jones is an admission the team is rebuilding. I don’t see Columbus doing. Just look at last season. So unless Columbus falls apart like New Jersey did this year, I don’t see him being moved. He is more than likely to walk.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Flyers may have $14.5 mil left on the cap based on the $84 mil projection.

NAK re-signed for $1 mil x 2 years, Myers $2.2 mil x 2 years, backup goalie $2 mil, Friedman as the extra for 700k, Patrick $2 mil, Frost $850k, extra 4th liner for <$1 mil.

That's $4.75 mil. If they want room for a cheap 22nd roster player, that's still $4 mil. And I didn't even trade Ghost, or even Laughton, who could be a stealthy sell high as an impending UFA (I had him at 4C in my 2020-2021 lineup). I don't think they do. But that $4.5 mil at least is probably coming off the books. Again, not saying Braun will happen, but there's not a whole lot of wheeling and dealing required. I'm just not going to be surprised if it happens.
Seems like they will have room to resign Braun, Grant or Pitlick if they want to, or other equivalent players. Good position to be in.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

If they do leave him unprotected, it's likely for cap reasons.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Flyers may have $14.5 mil left on the cap based on the $84 mil projection.

NAK re-signed for $1 mil x 2 years, Myers $2.2 mil x 2 years, backup goalie $2 mil, Friedman as the extra for 700k, Patrick $2 mil, Frost $850k, extra 4th liner for <$1 mil.

That's $4.75 mil. If they want room for a cheap 22nd roster player, that's still $4 mil. And I didn't even trade Ghost, or even Laughton, who could be a stealthy sell high as an impending UFA (I had him at 4C in my 2020-2021 lineup). I don't think they do. But that $4.5 mil at least is probably coming off the books. Again, not saying Braun will happen, but there's not a whole lot of wheeling and dealing required. I'm just not going to be surprised if it happens.

This is my early 20-21 roster.

Bring Back Talbot - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$82,137,023$0$582,500$1,362,977
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Free Agent Signings

RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Aubé-Kubel, Nicolas1$1,000,000
Friedman, Mark1$750,000
Hägg, Robert2$2,000,000
Lindblom, Oskar1$1,000,000
Myers, Philippe2$3,000,000
Patrick, Nolan1$1,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Talbot, Cam1$3,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Does Braun take a 2 year say 2 million per deal to stay? assuming it is offered? Would he get more? Coaching staff has done well with Braun and keeping him fresh; not 20 plus minutes

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Does Braun take a 2 year say 2 million per deal to stay? assuming it is offered? Would he get more? Coaching staff has done well with Braun and keeping him fresh; not 20 plus minutes
As Appleyard posted...33 year old Stralman signed for 3 years at 5.5 million a years just last summer.

Ron Hainsey is 38 years old, shoots left...but plays right side...signed for 3.8 million on a 1 year deal.

Patrick Nemeth(LH) signed for 2 years 3 million per year

Jordie Benn(LH) 2 years at 2 million per.

It would be shocking if Braun only gets offered 2 million given how coveted RHD are. Plus, this will be Friedman's draft+7 year next year. Let him play some games.

Reactions: Curufinwe

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
As Appleyard posted...33 year old Stralman signed for 3 years at 5.5 million a years just last summer.

Ron Hainsey is 38 years old, shoots left...but plays right side...signed for 3.8 million on a 1 year deal.

Patrick Nemeth(LH) signed for 2 years 3 million per year

Jordie Benn(LH) 2 years at 2 million per.

It would be shocking if Braun only gets offered 2 million given how coveted RHD are. Plus, this will be Friedman's draft+7 year next year. Let him play some games.
when looking at those payouts I would have to agree with you.

Reactions: Tripod

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Aubé-Kubel, Nicolas1$1,000,000
Friedman, Mark1$750,000
Hägg, Robert2$2,000,000
Lindblom, Oskar1$1,000,000
Myers, Philippe2$3,000,000
Patrick, Nolan1$1,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Talbot, Cam1$3,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'd rather re-sign Braun for twice the amount than have Hagg as a starter for 2 more years at $2 mil, if those are my two options. That's a no-go. Plus, we'd actually get an asset back in a trade. They're doubtful to use Hagg-Friedman as a 3rd pair, nor should we really want that, depending on the status of one Shayne Gostisbehere. A veteran depth add is probably coming in some capacity. I'd rather two birds with one stone.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Regardless of any other roster moves, keeping Hagg is 100% unacceptable. If they can’t see how bad he is then that’s a massive strike against them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad