Travis Sanheim - D - 6'3" - 181 - Calgary WHL - 2014 pick (1-17) - [signed ELC, 9/25]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
This coach is not ever going to go far if he isn't going to trust Sanheim, Ghost and etc. Putting the puck and game in the hands of Manning, MacDonald and etc. is just idiotic.

Reactions: baudib1

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Jtown said Ekblad was better than Provorov ahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaah

wow. I don't even know what to say. Clearly context means nothing to you. Is provorov a top 10 dman in the league? No. Is he the best dman on our team, No.

That list was to show hwo without evening thinking about it you can 10 guys better than provorovv. Think of that list more of a statement on provorov than anyone on the list.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Stats look good but, obviously there are a variety of factors that these stats didn't totally account for. BUT, he has looked all-around very solid in his latest stint. Wouldn't shock me to see Sanheim join or get close to joining the Provorov/Ghost tier on defense.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Sanheim plays with confidence now and passes the eye test. Even better if advanced stats back it.

He should never ever have to play a game in the AHL again.
Could be better if he had more nhl experience under his belt, but young players have to earn their place and he didn't outplay Manning. Simple as that.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Could be better if he had more nhl experience under his belt, but young players have to earn their place and he didn't outplay Manning. Simple as that.

6fe.jpg

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim was protected this year (which skews his stats relative to say McAvoy), and he needed that time in the AHL, much better player when he returned.
Which is not shocking, most rookies are inconsistent, and Sanheim is no exception.
He should play a bigger role next year, which is pretty typical of 2nd year players.
As he fills out and plays more physical in his D-zone, Sanheim should be able to develop into a two way defensemen.

Most players continue to develop from 21-24, few come into the league as polished players.
Sanheim is probably a little rawer than his 1st rd peers on defense, and has a lot of upside left.

Manning this year outscored Sanheim (5x5 per 60 minutes) by a sizeable margin.
He has his limitations, but is actually one of the better offensive defensemen in the NHL.
Unfortunately, his defense can be ugly at times.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Stats look good but, obviously there are a variety of factors that these stats didn't totally account for. BUT, he has looked all-around very solid in his latest stint. Wouldn't shock me to see Sanheim join or get close to joining the Provorov/Ghost tier on defense.
He has the ability to be a dynamic offensive Dman who leads his pairing. All he needs is more trust from his coach, and a D partner who WANTS to get him the puck. AMac seems to go out of his way to never pass it back to Sanheim if Travis passes it to him. Yet with Ghost, AMac would reverse every single time to Ghost...even when he should not have.

Reactions: Striiker

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
He has the ability to be a dynamic offensive Dman who leads his pairing. All he needs is more trust from his coach, and a D partner who WANTS to get him the puck. AMac seems to go out of his way to never pass it back to Sanheim if Travis passes it to him. Yet with Ghost, AMac would reverse every single time to Ghost...even when he should not have.
This is confirmaton bias, you are better than that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim right now is being used the way he should be used, he's a freakin' rookie, and he's not an elite talent at this point in his career.
He's playing 14:34, primarily because he doesn't play PK and just PP2, so in a series with lots of ST time, he's losing a minute or two a game.
Next year he'll probably play 17-20 minutes, depending on his partner, whether he gets PK time (which will depend on adding strength, skating has less value for defensemen on the PK ) and whether the PP2 gets more time relative to PP1.

I have no problem sheltering Sanheim this year, it's the same reason Hart should start next year in the AHL.
When you're targeting 2019-20, you stick to your development program with prospects and don't try to rush them to win now.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Huh??? What did I say that is not true??
Amac going out of his wait not to pass him the puck. You are seeing what you want to see.
BTW I don't agree that he needs a d partner that will always pass him the puck. Why would you even think that?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I've said before that Sanheim was as good or better than McAvoy. Only difference is in usage.

Sanheim is a better passer, better skater, just more skilled overall.

Keep in mind his numbers in that article include him being dragged down by playing with AMac. He's doing better than Ghost or Provorov did with Anchor Andy.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Amac going out of his wait not to pass him the puck. You are seeing what you want to see.
BTW I don't agree that he needs a d partner that will always pass him the puck. Why would you even think that?

I don't think it is an active decision not to pass to Sanheim, but no one on this team carelessly throws the puck into traffic as much as AMac. You must have noticed that right? It is downright blatant.

I have seen countless occasions in which Sanheim is wide open and in the perfect position on the opposite side of the NZ with easy access to a possession zone entry, but NAHHHH, lets just throw it up the boards and hope for the best.

He did this with Provorov, Ghost, Hagg and now Sanheim. He just totally lacks offensive/transition IQ. Reversing pressure in the NZ was taught in Squirt/Peewee. He is just bad.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I don't think it is an active decision not to pass to Sanheim, but no one on this team carelessly throws the puck into traffic as much as AMac. You must have noticed that right? It is downright blatant.

I have seen countless occasions in which Sanheim is wide open and in the perfect position on the opposite side of the NZ with easy access to a possession zone entry, but NAHHHH, lets just throw it up the boards and hope for the best.

He did this with Provorov, Ghost, Hagg and now Sanheim. He just totally lacks offensive/transition IQ.
Not like it matters. At least not to coaches.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I've said before that Sanheim was as good or better than McAvoy. Only difference is in usage.

Sanheim is a better passer, better skater, just more skilled overall.

Keep in mind his numbers in that article include him being dragged down by playing with AMac. He's doing better than Ghost or Provorov did with Anchor Andy.
Watching McAvoy you would think he is top told to play like Josi.
Now Sanheim? Probably Bouwmeester.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
How many times during games do you see comments about AMac not passing to a wide open Sanheim and instaed just fires it into a guys shinpads? I DO think it is a conscious decision. It might be due to trust...that he does not trust Sanheim...who knows. Too bad there is not a site that tracks passes among teammates. I but Travis has 2 times the amount of passes to AMac than the reverse.

As for me wanting Sanheim to have a D partner that will also always him the puck, it's easy. Going forward, having the puck on Sanheims stick will be beneficial to the team as he has the desire to create. And having him paired with a more defensive type guys brings balance to the pairing. It's the same with Ghost...I want the puck on his stick as opposed to AmMAc, Hagg, Gudas. Not really hard to understand.

Sorry if I offended your boy.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I dont know. Ive notice amac holding on to the puck and shooting when he should be passing to his partner. Noticed it most with sanhiem. Also think it happens more when amac is on the right side

Reactions: Tripod

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Better at d already than ghost.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I really don't think MacDonald goes out of his way to not pass the puck to Sanheim. Sanheim at times I am wondering what he is doing out there with where he is on the ice. Ghost seemed to always be in the right place when the Flyers got the puck in the d-zone which is why MacDonald would pass him the puck. That will come in time for Sanheim though because I am sure he isn't used to playing on the defensive side of the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad