Travis Sanheim - D - 6'3" - 181 - Calgary WHL - 2014 pick (1-17) - [signed ELC, 9/25]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Led the team in ES TOI in Game 3, which is promising.

It's the STs that will keep his minutes down.
To get to 20+ minutes he has to play the PK and/or PP1.

I don't think he's going to play the PK until he gets strong enough to clear the crease and win board battles on a regular basis, his skating has less value on the PK where defensemen primarily guard the net. And I don't think we really want him to emulate MacDonald and become a target dummy (shot blocker).

And they'd have to redo PP1 for him to get a role, especially with Patrick and Couts settling in, doubt he'd replace Voracek, and he's certainly not replacing Giroux or Ghost. Though if they improve PP2, they may even out minutes more between the two.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Because they want him to become a top defenseman, not OEL East.
And that means playing under control and within the scheme.

Flyers are in trouble anytime they get into one of those skate 200 feet back and forth games.
That's how we lost to the Islanders.
Imagine how ugly that would be against the Penguins, we might give up a baker's dozen worth of goals!

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I can't think of a Flyers coach who has made worse personnel decisions before a win-or-go-home game than Filp 1C and scratching Sanheim. Totally absurd, bush-league level stuff.

Hakstol has the hockey acumen of a walnut.

I mean it should be a prerequisite to be an NHL coach that you can identify your 18 best players each night. He's probably done that for less than 10 games this season.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I can't think of a Flyers coach who has made worse personnel decisions before a win-or-go-home game than Filp 1C and scratching Sanheim. Totally absurd, bush-league level stuff.

Hakstol has the hockey acumen of a walnut.

I mean it should be a prerequisite to be an NHL coach that you can identify your 18 best players each night. He's probably done that for less than 10 games this season.

That is brilliant!

Possibly a good note here. If he hasn't already sealed his own doom, this move should do it. I know Hextall did not want Sanheim scratched. Haag should get a shot, at the expense of one of the veteran three, Manning is my choice, but AMac is driving me nuts with his flopping around like a fish out of water. He is out of position almost as much as the skilless rover Manning, fortunately, Sanheim has been able to flip to the right side midshift and play well there too to cover for AMac's mindless meandering about the D Zone. Gudas has been awful too, but at least he scares the opponents coming across the blueline. I don't know what Hak is watching. Coaching scared playing, slow low skilled Vets who make the mistakes of young players. Why not play the more skilled, faster young guys who cantmake worse mistakes than the bottom pairing and bottom two lines.

I don't see how Hextall can keep Hak after this. In fact I kind of hope that the Gudas and Manning crew get lit up. Since the Flyers now have no shot, they might as well get blown out again so Hexy can blow a gasket and get rid of the dreck including the coach. Time to load the youngsters in and see what happens next year. This team will probably have lousy goal tending again anyway. I am ready for Morin, Myers, maybe NAK, and if he is ready Frosty (although, I am not sure he is ready physically).

Reactions: pmwlker and Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Hockey Gods will have the last laugh.
Watch Manning score 2 goals and the Flyers lose 5-4 on an easy shot on the short side of Neuvirth after he replaces Elliott.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I think a big part of the problem this series has been the goaltending. Basically every mistake by the defensemen or forwards seems to end up in the net. Its hard to get into a comfortable rhythm and play well when you get frustrated (which I'm sure a few players are). Giroux, Ghost, Simmonds, Konecny all seem to be more emotional players for better or worse.

Reactions: JXC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad