Confirmed with Link: Travis Konecny Signs Extension - 6 Years/$33M ($5.5M AAV)

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Konecny should get a shot on the PK. His speed would be an asset there.

It’s asinine he hasn’t been tried there before.

Because the scrub morons played on the PK sure did a much better job over the last few years.

Maybe (gasp) coach him to be a good PK’er. This organization needs to grow a pair when it comes to CONSISTENTLY putting its youth in positions to succeed and getting the most out of them. This seems to be changing thankfully, continue the trend.

Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Either you need to choose your words better, or you are a blatant liar. This has nothing to do with my literacy levels.

Claiming that he may get smarter and improve because of mental aspects - which you pointed out in your post AFTER you said "I dont think hell get better" is a half hearted gesture of trying to play neutral.

From the person who preaches endlessly about even strength play, backchecking, and a two way game, you're discounting literally EVERYTHING you love in a player that fully relies on mentally maturing. Plain and simple- your post reeks of bias and hypocrisy.

No, you're just being a kneejerk Hiver: "don't you dare criticize one of my favorites."

"After three years I don't know if TK is going to get better,"

That is very different than saying he WON'T get better.
The fact is TK regressed last year under Gordon, and you won't find a knowledgeable poster (of which there are about a dozen here) disagreeing with that statement. The eyeballs and metrics both showed that.
That doesn't mean he can't improve his defense and his overall awareness - but there is no guarantee that he will do so.

We simply don't know how he's going to interact with AV.
We do know AV is a demanding HC, who will not hesitate to bench or demote a young player who doesn't buy into to what he's teaching.
Some players respond to hard coaching by stepping up their game, some sulk, some rebel.

It's much easier projecting that a physically underdeveloped Sanheim or now Farabee will improve as they physically mature.

I'd point out that I was one of TK's biggest supporters as a rookie, I saw him filling out and becoming a major offensive force.
But I also thought he'd grow up and become more disciplined and improve his defensive instincts.
So yeah, I'm disappointed with his progress, the same way I'm disappointed with Provorov flat lining last season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Coots is the best player on the roster and is like the 10th highest paid. Poor coots.

They better win in the next 3 years or they are ****ed!

Girouxs contract expires same year as Couturiers. So we shall see. He may want to play longer but start to take team-friendly short-term deals and take it 1-2 years at a time. Also expected cap to be way higher.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I heartily endorse this contract and transaction
AdCdE9V.jpg

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Last edited:
Reactions: dingbathero

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
No, you're just being a kneejerk Hiver: "don't you dare criticize one of my favorites."

"After three years I don't know if TK is going to get better,"

That is very different than saying he WON'T get better.

The fact is TK regressed last year under Gordon, and you won't find a knowledgeable poster (of which there are about a dozen here) disagreeing with that statement. The eyeballs and metrics both showed that.
That doesn't mean he can't improve his defense and his overall awareness - but there is no guarantee that he will do so.

We simply don't know how he's going to interact with AV.
We do know AV is a demanding HC, who will not hesitate to bench or demote a young player who doesn't buy into to what he's teaching.
Some players respond to hard coaching by stepping up their game, some sulk, some rebel.

It's much easier projecting that a physically underdeveloped Sanheim or now Farabee will improve as they physically mature.

I'd point out that I was one of TK's biggest supporters as a rookie, I saw him filling out and becoming a major offensive force.
But I also thought he'd grow up and become more disciplined and improve his defensive instincts.
So yeah, I'm disappointed with his progress, the same way I'm disappointed with Provorov flat lining last season.

This has nothing to do with "hive" mentality. Stop deflecting away from your clear bias towards the player. I'm not even all that high on TK, to be honest. I think hes a great personality, but is limited in terms of hockey sense.

However, I stopped reading right at the bolded. If you think that its not likely that a 22 year old player improves, there's literally nothing to discuss. Full stop. Saying a 22 year old 3rd year player isnt likely to improve is a hot take, and one of the more egregious ones I've seen from you (which says a lot in its own right) since you said the blues don't have an elite level player. There is ACRES of space left for the player to improve, most notable in gaining experience in a lineup/system that doesnt see his good work get rewarded with a demotion to the fourth line. But I know how much it would pain you to admit that Hakstol had no f***ing clue how to work a NHL roster, so we don't need to go down that path.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Young Marchand is a good comparable for TK. Similar production through first 3 years. Marchand was not strong defensively early and made a lot of mistakes with the puck. He learned a ton from Bergeron and has incrimentally improved defensively every year to the point where hes very good defensively now. I think TK will improve defensively too.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe you should go look at the career trajectory of a hundred players with 3 years under their belt.
Some improve, some flat line, a few peak early and soon regress.
There is simply no guarantee that TK will improve.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Maybe you should go look at the career trajectory of a hundred players with 3 years under their belt.
Please, deadhead.

One thing. If he will be 16th in ES scoring among RWs during next 6 years he is still really fine!

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Even if he does not improve a 25 goal very good 5v5 guy is worth that money today. And given his age and production and future projected linemates he very well could hit 30 as soon as this year and no one would be surprised. Maybe then he will be better than Zacha.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Young archand is a good comparable for TK. Similar production through first 3 years. Marchand was not strong defensively early and made a lot of mistakes with the puck. He learned a ton from Bergeron and has incrimentally improved defensively every year to the point where hes very good defensively now.

Funny, if someone on another team made that kind of comparison, you'd be all over him.
Or if someone compared Hagg to a big defenseman who bloomed in their mid-20s.

Sure, it's possible that TK could develop like Marchand, IF he commits himself to becoming a two way player.
Marchand was a solid defensive forward for years before he broke out offensively the last couple season.

That's why they play the games.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
They overpaid by half a million but I consistently say that overpaying by that much or even up to a million on a long term deal like this isn't the end of the world. My guess is the Flyers were offering 5 and Konecny wanted 6 so they finally decided to get the deal done and meet in the middle.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I've seen this in a bunch of places so I'm sure you read it somewhere, but it's not true.

He did lead the Flyers with 6, good for a 19-way tie for 28th in the league. Laine lead the league with 14.

Weird quirk in those numbers: The Defenseman with the most was Jeff Petry of all players with 9, good for a tie for 6th in the league.
Has there been any studies done (enough data?) to correlate posts hit and increased future scoring?

My hunch is it doesn't mean much (thanks Charlie Conway).

Edit: of course, he couldn't get all 3 into long term mid money deals with the cap so...bit of a moot feeling there. Overall I'm happy.
I could think of a few ways.

oh...hot take from the main boards for those who don't venture there...lol.

"Ok, I'm a Devils fan so I'm biased AF but this deal looks a little much. It's really banking on him taking the next step up in his play. Makes me feel a little better about drafting Zacha who even though is a disappointment, is also signed for the cheap for the next three years."
Flyers fans after they see the Pettersson contract. :sarcasm:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Young archand is a good comparable for TK. Similar production through first 3 years. Marchand was not strong defensively early and made a lot of mistakes with the puck. He learned a ton from Bergeron and has incrimentally improved defensively every year to the point where hes very good defensively now.
But what is funny, is after Marchands draft+4 season(where TK is now)...Marchand had 1 career NHL point. TK still has LOTS of time to grow as a hockey player.

Reactions: Rebels57

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Please stop acting like you're the only intelligent person in the room. It's a bad look - especially when you clearly arent. Just because I dont quote ES (you're conveniently not pointing to TK's ES points here like you do EVERYONE else - i wonder why?) and XGF/XGA doesnt meant I don't look at them or understand them. I just don't use them as the basis of every conversation, because there's so much more to sports in general that stats can never capture.

What stat do you used for poor performance due to inconsistent play of coach?

Theres a world of difference between "theres no guarantee hell improve" and "i dont think he will". Anyone half intelligent (oh look, im one of those select dozen you seem to think exist on this board!) knows development isn't linear. But most half intelligent people can see that playing with shit and inconsistent linemates (this is my new fancy stat, ill call it DIR [deadhead idiocy rating] is going to have inconsistent performance.

If you honestly think its possible for a coach/system to turn Robert Hagg into a 3rd pairing defender, but a good coach and system cant turn Travis Konency into a better player - your evaluation of hockey talent is even lower than i thought it was - and that was a low bar to clear to begin with.

Reactions: kudymen

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I do think that part of this, is it happens way more(or seems to), when he plays with lesser players. I think he feels the need to do more by himself which often leads to mistakes. When he plays with Couts or G, he just gets them the puck and then looks for open ice...nice easy way to play. And to me, he compliments those 2 due to his speed. And that allows Jake, who DOES control the puck more and better, to help lead another line...something he is better at than TK.

I am really looking forward to seeing our team under AV as I do think it can make a big difference.

I’m not sure he should be rewarded with 1st line RW responsibilities because he hasn’t fixed the flaws in his game. I’d like to see him address the underlying issues & become a more complete player. There are a lot of players who would look better next to Couturier. But you can’t always expect to be afforded that luxury.

I personally prefer Voracek on line 1. I like his size & power there. But that’s just my personal preference.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
oh...hot take from the main boards for those who don't venture there...lol.

"Ok, I'm a Devils fan so I'm biased AF but this deal looks a little much. It's really banking on him taking the next step up in his play. Makes me feel a little better about drafting Zacha who even though is a disappointment, is also signed for the cheap for the next three years."

I much rather have the top six caliber player over the bottom six player. The Flyers roster would be noticeably worse swapping out Konecny for Zacha regardless of contracts just like the Devils’ roster would be noticeably better with that swap.

The Flyers paid a reasonable price & locked Konecny up through what should be his most valuable seasons going forward.

On a different scale but this akin to people on here criticizing Toronto for locking up their talented youngish players. Paying good players especially when it matches up with the aging curve is not a bad thing no matter how some want to pretend it is.

Reactions: Rebels57

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But what is funny, is after Marchands draft+4 season(where TK is now)...Marchand had 1 career NHL point. TK still has LOTS of time to grow as a hockey player.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad