Rumor: Travis Konecny contract

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
In the 3 seasons before signing his contract, he was 14th in 5-on-5 goals, despite missing an average of 11 games per season. I suppose you can argue that isn’t “elite”, but you’re pretty much splitting hairs and missing the forest for the trees at that point. He doesn’t really fit in with the group of players that aren’t elite at any one thing that was described by the poster I quoted.

Glad we agree. One season where he was top 10 is ES scoring (while not being in the top 25 in his others) does not make an elite ES scorer. So he really does belong in the group of overpaid players who aren't elite at any aspect of the game. I mean Kane's high salary is the reason that you guys couldn't resign Pavelski. I think that is where people are talking about Hayes salary and comparing the 2.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Glad we agree. One season where he was top 10 is ES scoring (while not being in the top 25 in his others) does not make an elite ES scorer. So he really does belong in the group of overpaid players who aren't elite at any aspect of the game. I mean Kane's high salary is the reason that you guys couldn't resign Pavelski. I think that is where people are talking about Hayes salary and comparing the 2.

Why are you breaking things up that way? The full body of work over a 3-year sample was top-15 despite missing 33 games. And most of that was done on a terrible Buffalo team. And although this is getting so off topic here, no, Kane's high salary is absolutely not the reason that the team couldn't re-sign Pavelski. The team could have easily made space and re-signed him, but chose not to because he wanted a 3-year term at the age of 35, and he had scored only 5 5-on-5 points in his last 35 playoff games.

And if you don't think Kane qualifies as an elite 5-on-5 goal scorer despite being top-15 in the 3 seasons before signing his contract, and you think that he is part of the NHL middle class who isn't elite at anything, fine. In that case, Kane getting a 7X7 contract last year, and Kevin Hayes getting basically the same contract this year, just further proves my point that the NHL middle class is not getting squeezed at all. The poster who initially brought up Kane to start a pissing match was being very defensive and missed my point entirely.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I've seen a lot of Kevin Hayes over the years, and he should have gotten 6 x 6, but he's a free agent and he's young, so he got 7 x 7. But isn't this thread about Konecny? Somehow it has become something else entirely.

Because that's all anyone wants to do when it concerns the Flyers --- talk about Kevin Hayes.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Because that's all anyone wants to do when it concerns the Flyers --- talk about Kevin Hayes.

It actually has nothing to do with the Flyers in particular, it’s just a coincidence that he came up in a Flyers thread. I make it a point to mention Kevin Hayes every single time somebody says the NHL middle class is getting squeezed.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
It actually has nothing to do with the Flyers in particular, it’s just a coincidence that he came up in a Flyers thread. I make it a point to mention Kevin Hayes every single time somebody says the NHL middle class is getting squeezed.

I'm sure it's purely a coincidence that Kevin Hayes is the bullseye every time we talk about the Flyers offseason.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm sure it's purely a coincidence that Kevin Hayes is the bullseye every time we talk about the Flyers offseason.

Probably not most of the time. I’m sure it’s often used as a pot shot, just like that other poster used the Kane contract as a pot shot at me.

However, I have said this in different threads in response to people saying the middle class is getting squeezed.

Speculation: - Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 5 (Warning in OP)

Kevin Hayes just got a 50 MILLION dollar contract. I think he’s doing quite alright. Is he not the epitome of the NHL middle class?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yea something like that. Or change the first RFA year to an auto-renew at 110% of the previous years salary if a player has not signed by the start of camp.

To get the players to go for this the player would get arb rights every subsequent year.

At least then you're guaranteed a resolution. Sign an offer sheet, go to arb, sign a long term deal, whatever, just get it done.

That's a horrible idea. So let's say it's the summer of 20-21 and Rasmus Dahlin is a RFA.

BUF knows that they will need to fork up a good amount to get him signed long term. But instead they figure "We just don't offer him a decent contract, wait until Sept. 1 and we automatically get him for $1m. "

How does that in any way seem like a fair proposal?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Another bridge contract? It would be bad for us..

Give him 6x6...
Yeah I get that. For the Oilers, we've been bridging Nurse and it's going to blow up in our faces. Once upon a time, people were balking at Nurse getting 5 million long term, but now it's going to be higher than that. Just cap growth alone makes even overpaying a bit now worth it in the long run (if the player is a pretty safe bet to be useful)

Reactions: Erep

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The one thing a bridge contract DOES do, is possibly keep him longer/thru his prime....and avoid him becoming a UFA at age 28 if you instead, signed him to a 6 year deal right now.

Personally, I wish he would sign for 8 years right now and have him for his 22-29 year old seasons and let him turn 30 and become a UFA and move on. Or even trade him with 1-2 years left to recoup assets and go to a younger/cheaper guy.

Colin White's deal is at least some type of comparable...but with TK getting more...if TK did sign for 6 years or more.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
RFAs aren't getting greedy, they're finally asking for what they are really worth. Players are at their peak during their RFA years. The system is backwards and too many teams have overpaid UFAs eating up their cap.

You are not wrong, but if the young star players are asking, and getting a huge percentage of the cap, you still have to pay players to fill out your roster (UFA's included) and the cap only increases so much right now.

The players may deserve to be paid for their prime RFA years, but the system and cap are not designed to accommodate the increase in RFA salaries we are seeing.

The league needs a work stoppage badly, and a new CBA needs to be discussed. The players and agent have to take the cap into consideration. Sure people come to watch the players play, but it still needs to work for both sides. If the RFA's want to be paid, they need to start giving up some UFA years, they can't have every single aspect of a contract favour only them.

I do like the idea of early Arb rights.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He's mediocre at even strength, but man he is a weapon on the PP.
The last 3 years, he is 6th in goals at ES for LWers....and 16th at ES for all forwards.

The Flyers will take that from their 2nd line LW all day.

On the PP, he is 6th for LW, and 32nd for all forwards on the PP the last 3 years. The numbers look like he is underrated at ES when it comes to goalscoring. Because I agree, most "feel" that JVR is a great PP guy, but never mention ES scoring.

But the numbers show this is a fallacy. He is a very good ES scorer too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad