Rumor: Travis Konecny contract

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Is that running only 12 forwards? Because even with TK, you still need to add a healthy scratch forward (~$800K give or take). It would essentially offset Hagg's money, assuming the Flyers front office has the same distaste for Hagg that posters here have.

Now you just need to talk TK and Provorov into signing long term deals with that AAV.

I'm not sure, its been a while since i looked at it. The signings of players like Andreoff may have affected it, admittedly.

That being said, I don't see TK signing long term. Provorov apparently wanted long term and not short term, last i heard on the negotiations. His $ for long term was just too high, iirc.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
This will be nightmare for GMs. Sign a young player to a fat contract, he fails, then buyout and guy will get another start elsewhere for a bargain price still in a decent age.
I don't think it's a nightmare yet, but it will be if teams don't wake up...

good RFAs were getting long term security (term) for a reduced rate. Matthews (and Nylander to a degree) deal pretty much ended that. Now all these guys want "that deal".

The players that were going to get Offersheeted will during the first week of FA. I'm sure there RFAs have deals from their clubs on hand well before that.

GMs just have to get owner support...say to the players, that's our offer...if you don't like it...we get it..but we need to move on...see you next July...enjoy the year off (and losing millions).

If they don't play some level of hardball the teams lose any leverage they have...and rub the risk of overpaying flashes in the pan.

The 1/2 year bridge is probably going to be the most common RFA deal from here on out.

Reactions: hn777

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
My personal observations, is that in the NHL cap world it's been the players in the middle that have been overpaid for a long time. I think they will be the group that will get squeezed. I'm thinking of players that are over 28 and make 4 to 5 million but aren't really elite at any one thing.
those are the only guys who generally hit free agency though.

~5 of those guys each year will get a deal.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
My personal observations, is that in the NHL cap world it's been the players in the middle that have been overpaid for a long time. I think they will be the group that will get squeezed. I'm thinking of players that are over 28 and make 4 to 5 million but aren't really elite at any one thing.

Are we pretending like Kevin Hayes didn’t just get 50 million dollars over 7 years?

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
In terms of attempting to eliminate future RFA stalemates, the the only real fix that would be fair to both PA and owners, IMO would be pushing up the arbitration eligibility of RFA's.

As is, arbitration can only award 1 or 2 year deals, so maybe being able to have a set(3?) of arbitration hearings. One for 6-8 year deals, one for 3-5 year deals and the current 1-2 years.

I dunno, just kinda spitballing a thought I had for awhile.

Having said that, I don't think we'll be seeing any changes, outside of some minor tweaks. Definitely not because fans are bored in August.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers are very much bound for cap problems. It'll be interesting next off-season to see what they do with Nolan Patrick.

That's funny coming from a Jets fan.

Are you expecting Patrick to score 60+ points like Connor and Laine have?

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
8 and 6 for Provorov and TK on long term deals is fair-ish, and once Provorov signs, we're clear to dump Hagg for whatever we can get. Theres some cap math there that needs to take place (putting people in minors as paper transactions, etc), but its doable with some room to spare. It's been talked about pretty heavily on the boards.
thats an overpay on both deals. no thanks.,

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Are we pretending like Kevin Hayes didn’t just get 50 million dollars over 7 years?

Are you pretending the market for 27 year old, 50+ point free agent forwards wasn't already set at 9% of the cap by the Sharks a year ago?

Evander Kane - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Kane's last three seasons before UFA status:
15-16: 65 GP, 20 G, 15 A, 35 P
16-17: 70 GP, 28 G, 15 A, 43 P
17-18: 78 GP, 29 G, 25 A, 54 P

Kevin Hayes - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Hayes last three seasons before UFA status:
16-17: 76 GP, 17 G, 32 A, 49 P
17-18: 76 GP, 25 G, 19 A, 44 P
18-19: 71 GP, 19 G, 36 A, 55 P

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Are you pretending the market for 27 year old, 50+ point free agent forwards wasn't already set at 9% of the cap by the Sharks a year ago?

What's your point? That the NHL middle class is not getting squeezed?

Seriously, I have no clue what you are trying to do with this response here. Take a shot at me for a contract my team signed in response to me making a valid point? That poster was saying that the NHL middle class is just starting to get squeezed. We have a contract that was just signed which clearly shows the NHL middle class is eating well.

Also, that poster specified players who aren't elite at one thing, which probably disqualifies Kane whose 5-on-5 goal scoring is elite.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Somebody will sign. I can't see 8 or 9 star players sitting out until December. If so they really need to change something with the RFA system.

Tkachuk won't miss any games, he'll sign before the season starts I guarantee it.

But this thread is about Konecny, good player with big upside. Hoping Mangiapane can become a guy like Konecny in the future.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Stinky Fletcher handing out another 2 year deal. The Flyers aren't winning squat in the next two years and will need to go to war with all of their RFAs again in 24 months.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I know, but Mangiapane is a smaller forward like Konency and has only played 50 NHL games whereas Konecny has played a couple of seasons.
There's a reason Mangiapane has struggled to stick in the NHL. Plenty of smaller forwards have excelled in the AHL, but weren't able to cut it in the NHL. I'm rooting for him to put it all together in Calgary and prove that he's more than a "AAAA palyer," but he doesn't deserve to be brought up in the same conversation as TK at this point.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
There's a reason Mangiapane has struggled to stick in the NHL. Plenty of smaller forwards have excelled in the AHL, but weren't able to cut it in the NHL. I'm rooting for him to put it all together in Calgary and prove that he's more than a "AAAA palyer," but he doesn't deserve to be brought up in the same conversation as TK at this point.

What?

A) When did Mangiapane struggle to stay up?
B) I said I hope he can grow his game like Konecny did, I never said they were close to the same player currently.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What?

A) When did Mangiapane struggle to stay up?
B) I said I hope he can grow his game like Konecny did, I never said they were close to the same player currently.

A) Literally every season he's been a pro? You said it yourself, he's only appeared in 50 NHL games. That's because he didn't stick to the roster in 2017-18, and didn't make the Flames out of camp in 2018-19. He wasn't recalled until basically December, and only appeared in 44 games the remainder of the season.

B) And I hope that Jonas Siegenthaler can grow into Josh Manson, but I'm not going to namedrop Siege in a Manson thread.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Its actually the opposite. With the new US TV contract on the horizon and a projected large increase in the cap, agents have been advising the RFA's to take bridge deals unless they are adamant about a long term deal. Mostly the team and fans want long term deals before the cap increases.

Glad we agree haha

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think these RFA’s should be doing what Aho has done. Take a bit of a discount to take you strait to UFA then sign that big fat 7 year contract at 25-27. Team wins because they get another 5 years of cheap service, players win because they still get a decent payday and get to go to UFA at a young age and really cash in. Plus who knows what the cap is going to look like with a new team and new TV deal coming.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Stinky Fletcher handing out another 2 year deal. The Flyers aren't winning squat in the next two years and will need to go to war with all of their RFAs again in 24 months.
since nobody knows the details of what deals are on the table, I'm sure if TK wanted to sign a 6x4.5 he would have.

Seems like 90% of RFAs are taking the wait it out approach, I don't think Fletcher is exclusive here.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

Sharks overpaid Kane and flyers most definitely over paid Hayes. Scoring 50 once does not make someone a 50 pt player. Whoever (we know who) made the decision to not only sign Hayes to that contract but give up a pick in order to do so, in the same offseason you need to sign two core young players, was completely and utterly stupid. What happens if Patrick breaks out? Keep him on the third line? Or does Hayes become a long term 7 million dollar 3C? Terrible terrible move.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Maybe teams should stop overpaying FA's and give the money to their young players...

What's your point?

If your point is that the Flyers don't currently have the money to sign TK and Provorov: your point is invalid.

They haven't signed for the same reason every other sexy RFA hasn't signed: everyone is waiting for the market to be established by the first domino.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->