Rumor: Travis Konecny contract

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
RFAs aren't getting greedy, they're finally asking for what they are really worth. Players are at their peak during their RFA years. The system is backwards and too many teams have overpaid UFAs eating up their cap.

The "system" is in transition where the money is flowing away from the older players to the younger players.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Unless the player is adamant on it I think you have to go for the longer deals with Sanheim, TK, and Provorov. If this is true, 0/2
Its actually the opposite. With the new US TV contract on the horizon and a projected large increase in the cap, agents have been advising the RFA's to take bridge deals unless they are adamant about a long term deal. Mostly the team and fans want long term deals before the cap increases.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Its actually the opposite. With the new US TV contract on the horizon and a projected large increase in the cap, agents have been advising the RFA's to take bridge deals unless they are adamant about a long term deal. Mostly the team and fans want long term deals before the cap increases.
Pretty sure the poster you quoted was talking about it from the team perspective.

Reactions: TheKingPin

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
You could fill a whole new team and almost a farm team with all these idiots not signing (they're not actually idiots, I'm just annoyed).

Tkachuk - Point - Marner
Connor - White - Rantanen
Laine - Barbashev - Boeser
Fiala - Kempe - Konecny

Beauvillier - Zacha - Puljujarvi
Mangiapane - Eriksson Ek - Ho-Sang
Goldobin - Malgin - Lemieux
Dal Colle - Perlini - Maenalanen

Provorov - McAvoy
Werenski - Carlo
Pettersson - DeAngelo

Schuldt - Honka
McKeown - Belpedio

Comrie

Reactions: Loriginale

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The "system" is in transition where the money is flowing away from the older players to the younger players.

the "system" now pays people for past performance, but now RFAs want to be paid for performance as well, as opposed to traditionally being paid for potential previously.

Everyone wants to grab now, and unfortunately that just isn't feasible unless the cap is increased, or 'older' players start taking less. One of those outcomes is extremely unlikely.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
the "system" now pays people for past performance, but now RFAs want to be paid for performance as well, as opposed to traditionally being paid for potential previously.

Everyone wants to grab now, and unfortunately that just isn't feasible unless the cap is increased, or 'older' players start taking less. One of those outcomes is extremely unlikely.

The best players are going to get paid regardless of age. Teams have to come to terms that they can't underpay a 90 pts scoring winger or a 25 min elite defenseman just because he's 22.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto

Well older playes definitely need to start getting paid less. Paying someone through their 30s for their performances during their 20s was always foolish

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The best players are going to get paid regardless of age. Teams have to come to terms that they can't underpay a 90 pts scoring winger or a 25 min elite defenseman just because he's 22.

Wholeheartedly agree. The other side of that coin is 'average' players need to understand they are going to get squeezed out at that point. This may be oversimplifying a bit, but If i only have $30 a week for lunch, and I spend $15 of it one day on a steak, that's going to mean I've got much less to spend on the other days of the week.

In a hard cap world, for someone to gain, someone else has to lose, unfortunately.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It was interesting to see, when formerly underpaid younger player was on prime, and hunting that big contract. Statistically it looks like, that the prime is there, at young age, because guy is more selfish and hunting that big contract. And when that fat contract is signed, many stopped a bit trying when did got that big career contract.

Then in stats it will look, that the prime was over.

Will be interesting to see how many will stop trying already at 20-21-22 age, when they get these big contracts, before their prime.

How many big flops will occur.

Underpaid player has almost always been the most motivated player.

This will be nightmare for GMs. Sign a young player to a fat contract, he fails, then buyout and guy will get another start elsewhere for a bargain price still in a decent age.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Wholeheartedly agree. The other side of that coin is 'average' players need to understand they are going to get squeezed out at that point. This may be oversimplifying a bit, but If i only have $30 a week for lunch, and I spend $15 of it one day on a steak, that's going to mean I've got much less to spend on the other days of the week.

In a hard cap world, for someone to gain, someone else has to lose, unfortunately.

My personal observations, is that in the NHL cap world it's been the players in the middle that have been overpaid for a long time. I think they will be the group that will get squeezed. I'm thinking of players that are over 28 and make 4 to 5 million but aren't really elite at any one thing.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
My personal observations, is that in the NHL cap world it's been the players in the middle that have been overpaid for a long time. I think they will be the group that will get squeezed. I'm thinking of players that are over 28 and make 4 to 5 million but aren't really elite at any one thing.

Yup - that's what I imagine happens. Younger kids get pushed in to positions sooner instead of paying middling forwards more than they are 'worth' (cough - Kevin Hayes). The NHLPA isnt going to be happy as their 'veteran' members start to lose out on money and jobs, but its just kinda the way the world works.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

AlwaysSunny

May 29, 2017
Philadelphia
The Flyers are very much bound for cap problems. It'll be interesting next off-season to see what they do with Nolan Patrick.

Unless he really breaks out this season, shouldn't be too much of an issue. I really am hoping he does well enough to for him to deserve to be paid well, but I guess only time will tell...

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The cap makes a difference, but this is basically what Kucherov signed for 3 years ago.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ahhh well, as annoying as this RFA thing is, id be doing the same thing

Gotta rake in top dollar the moment you can. We all would at our jobs if we could

Easy for other people to say to take millions and millions less, but lets face it, we wouldnt

Reactions: Slyfox

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The cap makes a difference, but this is basically what Kucherov signed for 3 years ago.
everyone thought yzerman had dirt on kuch when he signed that bridge , it was also signed in october I believe for all the its taking too long for guys to sign crowd

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
everyone thought yzerman had dirt on kuch when he signed that bridge , it was also signed in october I believe for all the its taking too long for guys to sign crowd

Except.. he was the last big RFA that season to sign, it was only him and Gaudreau that held out.

This year it's literally 5x the amount.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Except.. he was the last big RFA that season to sign, it was only him and Gaudreau that held out.

This year it's literally 5x the amount.
well it is still august so maybe more sign before october 11 or whatever it was ,

lots of high profile rfas this year that preformed really well during their elcs tho so maybe they all hold out for another month and a half

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Bridging Sanheim and Konecny is a waste because the Flyers aren't a contender now.
The player has to agree to any contract, too. If the player isn't interested in a long term deal at their current rate, you can't force them to sign a long term deal now.

Further still, even if the Flyers aren't cup contenders in 2019-20, they still have to be cap compliant in 2019-20. They have $13.4M in available cap space right now, but Konecny and Provorov are without contracts and they could still opt for a 23 man roster. If they were to give long-term deals to both TK and Provorov, that $13.4M could disappear awfully fast.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The player has to agree to any contract, too. If the player isn't interested in a long term deal at their current rate, you can't force them to sign a long term deal now.

Further still, even if the Flyers aren't cup contenders in 2019-20, they still have to be cap compliant in 2019-20. They have $13.4M in available cap space right now, but Konecny and Provorov are without contracts and they could still opt for a 23 man roster. If they were to give long-term deals to both TK and Provorov, that $13.4M could disappear awfully fast.

8 and 6 for Provorov and TK on long term deals is fair-ish, and once Provorov signs, we're clear to dump Hagg for whatever we can get. Theres some cap math there that needs to take place (putting people in minors as paper transactions, etc), but its doable with some room to spare. It's been talked about pretty heavily on the boards.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
8 and 6 for Provorov and TK on long term deals is fair-ish, and once Provorov signs, we're clear to dump Hagg for whatever we can get. Theres some cap math there that needs to take place (putting people in minors as paper transactions, etc), but its doable with some room to spare. It's been talked about pretty heavily on the boards.
Is that running only 12 forwards? Because even with TK, you still need to add a healthy scratch forward (~$800K give or take). It would essentially offset Hagg's money, assuming the Flyers front office has the same distaste for Hagg that posters here have.

Now you just need to talk TK and Provorov into signing long term deals with that AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad