Rumor: Travis Konecny contract

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sharks overpaid Kane and flyers most definitely over paid Hayes. Scoring 50 once does not make someone a 50 pt player. Whoever (we know who) made the decision to not only sign Hayes to that contract but give up a pick in order to do so, in the same offseason you need to sign two core young players, was completely and utterly stupid. What happens if Patrick breaks out? Keep him on the third line? Or does Hayes become a long term 7 million dollar 3C? Terrible terrible move.
Patrick won't have a big breakout unless he is on the top PP unit, and that is unlikely. So he will be capped in points....sort of like how Konecny is....and this will also keep his cap hit down.

The Flyers are on the verge of having 3 good lines. Hayes helps with that. In your what if's, you ignore the "what if Patrick is still getting better slowly", option. Having Hayes will definately be a welcomed asset.

People talk like things are set in stone. They signed Hayes...maybe that means they trade JVR in a year or 2 if they need the cap space. Oh well. Until then, they added a #2 C they needed and got better today for it. And now Patrick gets easier matchups and hopefully our 3rd line can win matchups every night.

As for TK, he is no different than other RFA's and their agents. Waiting to see the market. Let's see what he actually signs for before assumptions are made.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
What's your point?

If your point is that the Flyers don't currently have the money to sign TK and Provorov: your point is invalid.

They haven't signed for the same reason every other sexy RFA hasn't signed: everyone is waiting for the market to be established by the first domino.

No i mean that teams shouldnt be stingy with their RFAs but then throw stupid money at free agents.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
dont get why the flyers have 14 mil tied up in useless players in JVR and Hayes when they have better and more important players to sign now and in the coming years.

TK if given top 6 time and #1pp time is a near PPG player. a bridge deal is going to suck for the flyers once he eventually breaks out.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think these RFA’s should be doing what Aho has done. Take a bit of a discount to take you strait to UFA then sign that big fat 7 year contract at 25-27. Team wins because they get another 5 years of cheap service, players win because they still get a decent payday and get to go to UFA at a young age and really cash in. Plus who knows what the cap is going to look like with a new team and new TV deal coming.

Just to clarify (maybe nitpick), Aho's contract doesn't take him straight to UFA. It buys out 1 year of UFA as he would be a UFA after 4 years.

That said, I agree with what you said. If I was a 22 year old star, there's almost no chance I'd sign on with a team for 7 or 8 years. Forget about the money (easy for me to say), it keeps you from having a chance to move to another team while you are still in your prime should things go sour. 5 years is a good compromise. Buys out 1 year of UFA, the Canes get Aho for a total of 8 prime years (3 ELC, 4 RFA and 1 UFA) and Aho still gets to be a chance to go somewhere else, should he choose to, while still in his prime should things go poorly in Carolina.

I get why a team wants a longer deal, but from a player POV, I wouldn't want to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
dont get why the flyers have 14 mil tied up in useless players in JVR and Hayes when they have better and more important players to sign now and in the coming years.

TK if given top 6 time and #1pp time is a near PPG player. a bridge deal is going to suck for the flyers once he eventually breaks out.

Calling JVR a 'uesless' player pretty much invalidates your entire post.

Calling for Konecny to get #1 PP time (when he is awful on the PP) further invalidates it.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Lol.

TK has been given top 6 minutes, and played well....as his 40+ ES points per year have shown.

As for the PP....he won't get #1 unit minutes. He is not good enough on the PP to bump others off it. Especially when the PP is set up for LH shooters, not RH. He is not better than Giroux, Ghost, Voracek, JVR, or Couturier. To get PP points, he will need to help that #2 unit which still has lots of talent options: Patrick, Sanheim, Hayes, Lindblom, and has Frost/Farabee on the way.

TK will be capped at a sub 60 point guy unless that 2nd unit eventually breaks out. And if that happens, great problem to have. But for now, we get to pay TK a lower cap hit by keeping those PP points lower.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Konecny at 4-5 x 3 years would muddy up the contract waters even more. I feel like Philly should try to lock him up longer but if he's making 4 million now, I get why they might be hesitating. 4 million aav on a bridge means he must expect 6+ on the long term deal. That's a hard sell for the Flyers...

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Also, that poster specified players who aren't elite at one thing, which probably disqualifies Kane whose 5-on-5 goal scoring is elite.

black-man-wait-what-meme.jpg

Last edited:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The RFA issue is 1 of the biggest issues with the NHL right now, they got to fix it. We're almost in September and lots of great talent still out there not signed.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The RFA issue is 1 of the biggest issues with the NHL right now, they got to fix it. We're almost in September and lots of great talent still out there not signed.

I really think this is kind of a unique situation. If you go back to contracts guys like Skinner, Hall, Seguin, etc... got coming off their ELCs, they were 9-10% of the cap at that time and that's what a lot of these guys are looking/asking for. The problem is that 2015 was such an exceptional draft, that there are a lot of players that can make a strong case for it, which is what is causing the headaches.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Patrick won't have a big breakout unless he is on the top PP unit, and that is unlikely. So he will be capped in points....sort of like how Konecny is....and this will also keep his cap hit down.

The Flyers are on the verge of having 3 good lines. Hayes helps with that. In your what if's, you ignore the "what if Patrick is still getting better slowly", option. Having Hayes will definately be a welcomed asset.

People talk like things are set in stone. They signed Hayes...maybe that means they trade JVR in a year or 2 if they need the cap space. Oh well. Until then, they added a #2 C they needed and got better today for it. And now Patrick gets easier matchups and hopefully our 3rd line can win matchups every night.

As for TK, he is no different than other RFA's and their agents. Waiting to see the market. Let's see what he actually signs for before assumptions are made.

I think people are just talking like the Flyers have to pay an average 2C 7m for 7 more years and wondering how Philly will work around such an albatross contract. It'll be a Lucic type contract in a few years.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I think people are just talking like the Flyers have to pay an average 2C 7m for 7 more years and wondering how Philly will work around such an albatross contract. It'll be a Lucic type contract in a few years.

2 completely different types of players. Lucic is a power forward, that is/has been more known for hitting and fighting. I mean, he was signed and paid based on the premise of protecting McDavid. Hayes is more of a skilled 2 way player. They typically have a longer shelf life/won't just drop off a cliff after 3 seasons.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Obviously if it's a Lucic type contract, it becomes an issue. But you are just making a claim that you can't support in that prediction. Hayes is also a good defensive C and they always have value.

Now will it costs the Flyers JVR sooner than expected? Maybe/likely. But with 1-2 years left, JVR will be quite tradable given he still produces and will likely be on our top PP helping that point total. So we try and trade him for futures.

Plus, there is an expansion draft happening. The Flyers are likely losing someone like Ghost/Myers...or JVR. Even if they trade say Ghost, the return will likely be for futures. So the Flyers "might" have to trade a F for a Dman post ED to replace a lost Dman. Maybe that guy IS Patrick....if Frost is looking great. Then add in the CBA, the new TV deal, etc... Too many unknowns to say for sure what will happen...just like your Lucic take.

But this year, we finally are 3 centers deep for the 1st time since we traded Richards and Carter. And when Patrick proves better than Hayes, it will be a great problem to have.

Reactions: achdumeingute

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Obviously if it's a Lucic type contract, it becomes an issue. But you are just making a claim that you can't support in that prediction. Hayes is also a good defensive C and they always have value.

Now will it costs the Flyers JVR sooner than expected? Maybe/likely. But with 1-2 years left, JVR will be quite tradable given he still produces and will likely be on our top PP helping that point total. So we try and trade him for futures.

Plus, there is an expansion draft happening. The Flyers are likely losing someone like Ghost/Myers...or JVR. Even if they trade say Ghost, the return will likely be for futures. So the Flyers "might" have to trade a F for a Dman post ED to replace a lost Dman. Maybe that guy IS Patrick....if Frost is looking great. Then add in the CBA, the new TV deal, etc... Too many unknowns to say for sure what will happen...just like your Lucic take.

But this year, we finally are 3 centers deep for the 1st time since we traded Richards and Carter. And when Patrick proves better than Hayes, it will be a great problem to have.

More Realistically, York is ready for 3rd pairing minutes by that time, and the flyers Just go Provorov-Sanheim- York on the left. I'm much more comfortable with our ED status post-draft than i was pre - assuming Fletcher plays it right, and learned from his mistake last time, anyway.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

In the 3 seasons before signing his contract, he was 14th in 5-on-5 goals, despite missing an average of 11 games per season. I suppose you can argue that isn’t “elite”, but you’re pretty much splitting hairs and missing the forest for the trees at that point. He doesn’t really fit in with the group of players that aren’t elite at any one thing that was described by the poster I quoted.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
More Realistically, York is ready for 3rd pairing minutes by that time, and the flyers Just go Provorov-Sanheim- York on the left. I'm much more comfortable with our ED status post-draft than i was pre - assuming Fletcher plays it right, and learned from his mistake last time, anyway.
Very possible. But at that time, we might only have Myers as a top 4 RH option so could be looking for another add. Point is, we have options...and we have no idea what will happen. But we ARE losing someone. We have options.
And this BS that signing Hayes will lead to gloom and doom is just dumb.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Very possible. But at that time, we might only have Myers as a top 4 RH option so could be looking for another add. Point is, we have options...and we have no idea what will happen. But we ARE losing someone. We have options.
And this BS that signing Hayes will lead to gloom and doom is just dumb.

Yeah, I think we both know my stance on the Hayes contract - but it's hardly the worst thing in the world right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00